“Quite poor”

Appart'City Confort Montpellier Ovalie
Ranked #70 of 93 Hotels in Montpellier
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I spent 4 days there. Breakfast was good enough (9 euro if paid in advance). English speaking personnel if that matters. Enough parking just outside of the hotel, any time.
Room was quite small. Seems like rooms have been recently renovated. Renovation was quite cost saving, lets put it this way. Everything's quite simple. Strange, but bathroom was the most nicely looking part of it, on the top of the rest. Negative sides:
- no way to sit down on the chair and use a table: not enough room for legs, unless you are shorter than 1.5m. Consider having dinner while in the bed :)
- half of the rooms face the very busy & noisy large roundabout;
- very dusty ventilation covers in the room & toilet, i din't like it (matter of taste though);
- absolutely no WiFi for two days of four. As i had no French SIMcard so had no chance to check my mails :(
- they told me that bedsheets & towels would be replaced on the 3rd day, which never happen! I gave a call to the reception, the lady confirmed 3-days' cleaning rule, then i was told to hold on the line, i listen to the music for 10 minutes and then i hang on. I gave a call later on but she didn't respond (i assume she saw who was calling and decided that ignorance would be a best strategy)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 June 2013

This place is the most unprepared, completely misrepresented place at which I've EVER stayed. EVER. I'll give them this much leeway; we were coming as a "pack", some 50-odd in number, so granted, it was a lot with which to deal. But tough. It's called "business". Be ready for it, or move out of the way for someone who is.

Advertised as "wifi in all rooms"... no. Don't believe it. Not for one second. Wifi exists, and only sporadically, in the completely underfurnished reception area (one tiny red love seat). Room keys that didn't work, burst pipes upon attempting to use sinks, air conditioners not functioning. This overheard exchange sums it up best - Customer: "I notice that in the fitness room, the weightlifting multipurpose machine has a broken cable; will that be fixed?" Desk clerk: "Non".

Need I say more? Ok, it is also located in the most godforsaken, suburban sprawl of rotaries, new construction, and nuh-thing to do or see unless you have a car, which none of us did. A grocery store and a McDonald's. Ahh, the fabled "Vie Francaise!". Run screaming from this place, and warn others before it's too late.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Doug R
Direction_Department, Directeur général at Appart'City Confort Montpellier Ovalie, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your last stay in our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the discomfort you experienced.

For the moment, our rooms are equipped with a cable internet connection but wifi will be installed in all areas of our hotel by the end of July.
You may benefit from a wifi connection in the lobby in the business corner as well as on the terrace outside in front of the entrance of the hotel.

Concerning the location of our residence, you can find many buses as well as a tramway station nearby that can take you to the very center of the city in less than 30 minutes.

Finally, we apologize for the group of broken-down airconditionning devices. Please know that they are in the process of being repaired and that we may provide our guests with fans in the meanwhile.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel.

Yours sincerely,

The General Management

Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel due to the fact that I was visiting Montpellier for a rugby match. We travelled as a group but I stayed at a different hotel to the rest as I brought a partner.

Appearance

The hotel is plain but pleasant from the exterior with the front entrance to what looks more like the rear of the hotel at the base of a small car park which provides free parking. The hotel is quite modern and I was expecting a lot less from previous reviews.

Location

The hotel is located off of a very busy roundabout approx 5-7 miles from the town centre. It is situated across the street from a bus stop and the the number 6 bus comes along every 10 mins and brings you straight into town. The tram stops approximately 10 mins from the hotel by foot. There is a large supermarket across the street which is extremely handy and a McDonalds approximately a 3 minute walk down the road. The buses stop at 8:30pm and the trams stop at midnight so the only way from town to the hotel is by taxi which will cost approx €15. The town is notoriously bad for taxis so have the hotel book them for you. A one way trip from the airport will cost between €30-€35.

Staff

I encountered only very friendly, kind and helpful staff. The male reception staff deserve a particular mention. All staff we encountered spoke excellent English.

The service is very good but be warned that the rooms are only cleaned every 2-3 days.

Restaurant

The restaurant is very warm and inviting. A pint of Heineken is €7.20 so it is expensive. The restaurant closes on Saturdays and Sundays which is very disappointing, especially seeing as we were on a weekend break.

Facilities

Free wifi is available in the lobby only.

There is a steam room and fitness room but no pool.

Rooms

The room was small but sufficient for our stay. It was modern with a safe, small tv, kitchenette, shower and seperate toilet room. If this had been an entirely romantic break I would have requested a larger room. There was minimal noise from the traffic outside. Room was only minimally cleaned every other day but was very clean upon our arrival. Tv offered BBC World News and NRJ, a music channel, as the only English speaking channels.

Overall I was very pleased with this hotel and it was perfect for the weekend we had planned. Not suitable for a romantic weekend break.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Burke84
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Ok just for a stopover. Comfortable and clean at an affordable price. Rooms are quite small with no wifi on rooms but with some instant coffee for the morning which always helps. Service was non existent, maybe even rude but what can someone expect is a place which seems low cost. Don't get me wrong, it was a good stay for the price we paid but really don't stay more that a night. In the middle of nowhere so you really need a car for anything. Breakfast price is too expensive compared to the room price. Not worthy.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2012

The hotel itself is a little remote and requires a 15-25 minutes bus to get from or into the town, depending on the traffic. The bus runs until 20:30, so a night out would require a 15-20 euro taxi.

I was initially put in a cramped room. Being on a business trip, I needed an internet connection (as advertised) I was given an internet cable to a socket that didn't work, and after at least an hour of switching cables, going up and down the elevator to check if the problem was on my laptop, I finally asked to change rooms, to a room where the sockets did actually work. While I did everything myself (there was no staff available).the man at the reception desk was kind.

The cleaning service did not enter my room for 3 nights.

Before I left. the hotel staff decided that breakfasts was charged even though I was invited for breakfast when I checked in, and after I was provided with a receipt. My arguments explaining what happened on the first night or the fact I was invited for breakfast was imminently responded rudely with a threat to call the police and long minutes of looking at papers and computer files almost causing me to miss my train and flight.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Ido C
Reviewed 25 November 2012

"Comfortable & Clean" are the two perfect words describing this place. I slept for 7 nights, no problems, silence, clean, very nice place... and very very cheap! I was there with my wife, in a Business Week, and we were very comfortable, with a little kitchen to use when you want, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can have the breakfast service with a little surcharge. Only one particular is... you need a vehicle, if you want to move in the city. I suggest it to all...

Room Tip: Ask for the kitchen and Special Offers... They have Offers all the year and put them on their websit...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank castronew
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Nice enough hotel, the food is good, but don't trust the cleaning staff !!! My self and my colleague both had items stolen from our luggage while we were out during the day. She had gifts which were well hidden stolen, and I had my passport stolen which was also well hidden in my bag ! For this reason I cannot for one moment recommend that you stay there knowing they employ thieving scum !

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business