“Perfect”
Review of Jardins Secrets

Jardins Secrets
Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Nimes
Reviewed 8 August 2012

In a world of bland, de personalised, corporate formulas that masquerade as hotels, thank goodness that places like this exist. Don't expect a formula, just a sublime and wonderful place with lovely people. We felt lucky to find it. A truly wonderful and memorable experience. We will return.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank lulu2412

Reviewed 4 July 2012

I don't know about you, but I expect a bedroom and a bathroom for €220 euros a night not an open plan bedroom and toilet, the toilet having no door onto the bedroom!!!!!! The bedroom was smaller than a budget room in Ibis, so small that they had to fit the bathroom into it, open plan, including the toilet.

Having read other reviews subsequently, i see that lots of rooms don't have a door on their toilet. I know France's health and safety laws are different but I did not realise the rules of common decency don't even apply.

Alarm bells were ringing in my head before we were even shown to our room. We arrived and were given a short guided tour of the hotel which included a viewing of the junior suite which we were told was going to cost us €400 per night if we wanted to upgrade. This was a large dark room, that looked nice at night, but barely had any windows. Why would we want to upgrade I thought, for €220 you would think that the room would be good. He told us, however, our room was very small, whilst still looking around the junior suite. When he told us our room was small, I became nervous. As soon as he opened the door to our room, I realised he was not wrong. The room was tiny.

If you want to sleep in a giant film set, that has made cut backs on the important bits, ie the rooms, then this is perfect for you. If you just want a nice bright room with a seperate bathroom, give this place a wide birth.

Room Tip: Avoid the standard rooms, they have no door on the toilet!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Matthew S
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I have to admit I have spent quite a while pondering over how to write this review... In summary - parts of the hotel are completely luxurious and a bit of a once in a lifetime experience, but my god do you pay through the nose for things and some things just don't quite work! So here goes...

The positives:
- The garden really is as divine as it looks, and in some ways, staying here is worth it just for that! Nimes is quite a busy city and having this space to relax is great.
- You have to see the lounge areas to believe them! Not my taste but pretty crazy and amazing none the less. As it was 30 degrees outside we didn't spend much time exploring inside but pretty amazing for first impressions!
- Some things are perfect - returning from dinner to find the whole garden lit by candles and our room turned down and shutters closed etc was pretty nice
- Usual things you would expect - fluffy towels, toiletries, air con etc all perfect, and bed very comfy so slept beautifully.
- Restaurant recommendation - Le 9, was great and they were very happy to recommend places - receptionist generally very friendly.
- Breakfast in the garden was lovely, so relaxing, great food, and very quaint (but more on that later!)

The negatives:
- Our room - Les Temps Des Secrets was so dark. At first it felt quite romantic, and then it just got annoying! Only lit by lamps and with ground floor windows to the garden you couldn't exactly have the curtains open when dressing for dinner. I guess this could have just been this room but I wouldn't wanted to have been there any longer than 1 night. When it is so beautiful and airy outside, I just felt cooped up!
- The toilet was just round a corner from the bedroom but no door at all. I really don't understand if this is meant to be luxury but to us (and we are married!) there is nothing luxurious about a toilet with no door. Surely a drape would have been the least that could be done?
- The bath/shower - I can see from the photos that most rooms have a similar set up - a roll top bath with shower attachment. So far fine... but nothing to put the shower attachment on so you have to hold it above your head (like being a student again!) and the shower curtain was so thick that when you closed it you were showering in the pitch dark. Not ideal. Would be fine if you were there in the winter and having a bath, but when it's hot outside I don't want to sit in a hot bath!
- The prices - as I mentioned above, breakfast was nice, but not 50 euros nice! And parking - 20 euros and then to be told if we wanted the car after noon they would just leave it on the street - not ideal when you look at the state of most of the cars on the street. As it was this turned out to be OK but not what you expect for 20 euros. We had fortunately seen the previous reviews about cost so avoided any drinks in the hotel, but this is a sad state of affairs. The garden would be a lovely place for an aperitif but instead we chose elsewhere.

I really think that had it not been for the obscene prices then I would give this 5 stars all the way, but it left a bit of a sour taste I'm afraid. My husband and I work hard and love to treat ourselves on holiday but there is a difference between treating yourself and feeling it was worth it, and feeling ripped off - and here I felt like management just assume if you can pay the room rate you can afford all the extras and if you can't, you shouldn't be there.

I guess it says a lot that I wouldn't recommend it to a friend. We stayed in a much nicer place on other nights for a third of the price!

Room Tip: Maybe one on an upper floor would be lighter as you could have the curtains open. Ask for a light ro...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank rgardiner2707
Reviewed 26 June 2012

As we stepped through the gate of Jardins Secrets, we knew we were home. The tranquil understated garden and elegant common spaces were unlike anything we'd ever seen. Christophe and Annabelle have curated a collection of antique art, curios and chandeliers that comprise the heart of a truly unique and romantic ambiance. Not only are you far from the hue and cry of the city, you feel as if you've passed back to a lost era of grace and opulence.

Breakfast, the only meal served in the hotel, is not to be missed. While you dine on home-made jams and an array of fresh bakery fare, songbirds sing in nearby birdcages. We also ordered late evening cocktails, allowing more time to soak up the decor and the atmosphere by candelight.

Our two day stay was not nearly enough, and we'll return in the future for a longer get-away. I'd strongly recommend this property, especially for couples.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David S
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed a good few years ago. We came across it when researching hotels in or near Nimes. It was summer, we walked through the gate to a beautiful oasis of calm. The house is full of antiques and unique finds - truly inspirational. The garden and pool was a welcomed retreat from the heat of summer. Service was very attentive and exceptionally personable. Breakfast a true delight of home made jams and selection of breads and pastries.

Subsequently we have visited for small breaks with varying friends. All of which have really enjoyed the experience. Some deciding to return themselves.

We have stayed in both the original and newly renovated part of the house. Both are beautiful and provide you which a typically traditional French experience. We have found the interior design to be inspirational but understand that everyone has different tastes. The web site represents it well. There are smaller rooms and each is individualised in design and facilities.

We renewed our wedding vows here with close friends. It was truly beautiful and as always we received superb service from the owners and staff. Nothing was a problem and the decoration was incredibly romantic. Food was excellent. It was obvious that much thought had been dedicated to making our stay and day so very special.

It does come with a price but for something special it is worth it. We have always slept well and haven't ever heard trains in fact the opposite - quiet and serene.

There are two cats who keep themselves to themselves. They pretty much keep away from guest and seek a quiet place to sleep.

Nimes is like any town - there are beautiful experiences and those that could improve but overall it has much to offer. The owners will always advise you of where and what to experience.

We would have no hesitation returning and would love to see the owners and staff again.

• Stayed: August 2011
4  Thank suzie7305
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Love this hotel. Run by a great couple with a unique offering. This beautiful old house in the center of nimes. Everyroom is unique and puts you back 300 years but with the right modern updates. The spa is a roman bath with great therapists. You Must get the breakfast that is served wherever you like by the maid. It's fantastic!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen_Singh82
Reviewed 25 January 2012

A stylish old manor, lavishly decorated with antics with a wonderful walled garden - a little coin of paradise! The breakfast in the garden, served in fine china with an impressive collection of homemade collection of jams (jasmine, rose, oranges, etc...) with fresh croissant.... excellent! Basic and a bit pricy but excellent! We stay there last summer in august for 3 nights and it was a unforgettable experience. Nimes is not the most pleasant city in Provence, so you really start to appreciate being lazy in the garden reading and drinking!
The room we had was cosy but real small, anyhow for a couple of nights was ok.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple