“Strange and bad experience”
Review of Jardins Secrets

Jardins Secrets
Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Nimes
Zurich, Switzerland
“Strange and bad experience”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I stayed 1 night in this hotel, in a business trip in Nimes, and I had a very bad and strange experience. First of all, the hotel is hidden in a small street and it doesn’t have an entrance as such, so you have to be very alert to realise that you need to ring the intercom of a gate which looks more like a gate of a private garden. The hotel is actually a big house, with the ambition of a wannabe boutique hotel. The interior is full of loads of antique objects, everywhere you walk. The room is nice but there is no door to the bathroom (which actually is not totally separate from the room), which is strange and OK only if you travel alone. Late evening there was no more hot water, which for a 4* hotel and for the price of a room is not acceptable. Also, the wi-fi of the hotel was not working in the room. But the strangest and the worst thing it was that 3 days after I left the hotel, my card was debited for 35euros (in addition to the price of the room, which was charged at the check-out). I only found out about this with my bank statement, as the hotel never sent me any invoice ! So after inquiring with the hotel (and after insisting many times to get an explanation), it seems that the hotel has charged me the cost of an umbrella, which I used whilst staying there as it raining! (besides, the funny part is that the umbrella was a random umbrella which had a name of a drink on it, so obviously some merchandising item for that drink brand). I tried to get further explanations from the hotel but I couldn’t get any! I found this attitude totally inacceptable for any hotel, and even more coming from a hotel which pretends to have a high standard, even if just from the room prices.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
11 Thank Lucian76

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 December 2012

This place is amazing and I cannot fault it.
Absolutely beautiful .
We travelled the south of France for 4 weeks staying mostly 4 and 5 star hotels and I must say this place was my absolute favourite.
We initially booked to stay 2 nights and loved it so much we changed our itinerary and came back for another 3 nights.
The hosts are wonderful and so friendly .We were spoilt and our 6 year old daughter was made to feel so welcomed.
The attention to detail is superb.The best I have experienced .The staff are always at hand to please .
You definitely get your monies worth.
After staying at a 5 star hotel in Avignon which was double the price it just didn't compare to Jardins secrets
This place is heaven if you like antiques and beautiful fabrics.I spent hours walking around the property admiring all the wonderful pieces.The place is a designers paradise.
Breakfast is a must. Gorgeous setting.Our daughter loved it
I cannot understand the negative reviews .Visiting twice in the 4 weeks both stays were amazing
We will be back

Room Tip: suites top level
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank 167rose767
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Stayed here on our honeymoon this summer, drawn by photos of the pretty garden and swimming pool. This was going to be our taste of luxury on our tour through Provence - but it's the only place (out of 6) I regretted choosing. On arrival we were shown to our standard room (220 euros) but it was tiny, with a bath and basin in the room itself and WC in an alcove without a door. Also a view on the street. We thought it would be worth upgrading to a larger room (350 euros - apparently a discount) to enjoy the garden view and more space (and a WC with a door). Even for that price nothing is included - breakfast is 25 euros each, a glass of the average local rosé is 10 euros. There was no fridge so you can't bring your own bottle. The staff are pleasant, but hang around much of the time looking slightly embarrassed. We found the owner's attitude rather peremptory. On our first, very hot, day we came back longing for some pool time only to the find the only loungers full. When we asked if there were more, we were told there weren't - "but it had been empty earlier". (There are 14 rooms here, and only a total of six loungers). This certainly is a stunning hotel, full of antiques; it looks like a magazine shoot, but the whole experience was unfortunately soured by the feeling that we were being royally ripped off. Wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank MissBlaise
London
Reviewed 27 September 2012

If you like big, modern, corporate, guess-where-you-are hotels then Les Jardins Secrets is not the place for you. If you like the romantic, quirky, intelligent, discerning luxury that the French do so well,then you will feel right at home in this little oasis. The 14 rooms all vary in size, facilities, location and decor but they all have huge beds with lots of pillows, are all spotlessly clean, visited at least twice a day by staff who change the towels, turn down the beds etc and they all allow access to a seemingly endless sucession of public salons and sitting areas, both inside and out. The staff are invisible but always there - a true sign of real luxury service. They can converse with you, if you so wish, intelligently, in a host of languages, have interesting backgrounds and are obviously very well trained in the care of guests.
Yes, you can, if you want to, hear the musical announcements from the station, a block away, but it adds, I think, a certain frisson to the Jardins secrets experience: you, inside, cossetted and the outside world, outside.
I can't think of a better place for a honeymoon, anniversary or romantic celebration, or just a kid-free time-out.
Once you've been, it is very difficult to leave.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom G
Reviewed 25 August 2012 via mobile

We have been coming here for a few years now - 3 of the last 4 - as it is close enough to leave the kids with their grandparents in Languedoc while we pretend we are single again for 24hrs. We have absolutely loved it every time, but having read some of the less positive reviews I was determined to look more closely this year and not be biased by the fact that I could read by the pool in peace, eat at a restaurant that didn't have ketchup on the table, and could lie in until after 8am without having someone jump on my stomach yelling "Daddy!!!!!!!".
So here are some objective comments, based on the gripes I have read on the other reviews... Yes, it's pretty close to the station and, yes, you can hear some of the platform announcements. It doesn't have it's own restaurant, so you have to venture out for dinner, although the breakfast is stunning (continental, but hot on request I believe) and they do offer a charcuterie style lunch if you ask. The bar is not cheap, but it is a luxury hotel and the service is exquisite. Finally, the rooms are all individual, not necessarily very big or conveniently shaped, and - shock, horror - don't all have the same facilities. Some have a bath, some a shower, some have a totally separate bathroom, some have only a partitioned off area for the toilet facilities. It's not a Marriott with every room 120sq m, with 2 double beds and a shiny white en-suite bath/shower.
But, even with all these 'faults', I absolutely love the place. I love the fact that I have to share the garden with the tortoise. I love the way it I transformed by the orange scented candles in the lanterns after dark. I love the fresh breads, perfectly ripe fruits, and home-made jams that accompany the smoothest coffee in the world that is breakfast, eaten at leisure in the woody garden. I love the comfy beds, the stone floors and the plethora of huge fluffy towels that adorn every room. I love the secluded, hideaway door to L'Angelus room, accessed from the upstairs cloister. I love the gothic lines of the La Chappelle room, with its huge gothic bed and terrace onto the garden. I love the fact that the pool is just cold enough to make me shiver and just warm enough to draw me back in every 20 mins. I love the fact that I can walk into the centre of Nimes in less than 10 mins and eat at my favourite restaurant in France.
Is it perfect? Probably not, but I wish my fathery conscience would let me stay for a week and I am definitely coming back again next year.

• Stayed August 2012
9 Thank graemegault
Kivik, Sweden
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We loved or stay and we felt very welcomed.
The little pool was perfect.
Very personal hotel
Superb staff
Lovely breakfast
Turtles,birds and cats in the garden
Full of antiques
Would love to go back
A little expensive, missed a full lenght mirror in the room.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank innagaddadavida
oxon
Reviewed 8 August 2012

In a world of bland, de personalised, corporate formulas that masquerade as hotels, thank goodness that places like this exist. Don't expect a formula, just a sublime and wonderful place with lovely people. We felt lucky to find it. A truly wonderful and memorable experience. We will return.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family