“Mouse in room”
Review of Jardins Secrets

Jardins Secrets
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Nimes
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Absolutely disappointment. Dark room, NO fringe in the room, NO toilet paper holder, toilet door would not close, we waited for hot watter for ages. The most terrible was a mouse in the room which was sitting in the night in the handbag of my wife. The Mousetrap injured our dog because nobody said that it was given there. After that we got a bottle of wine (thank you) but no euro sale. Never more!!!!

Room Tip: Never there
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Petr T

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Most important of all: If you have any schedule changes, or have made any errors in the dates of your booking, don't expect a gracious understanding or any refunds from the staff. I had mistakenly booked an extra day beyond the three which we had planned for. Thinking that, as it was for a Monday and that we were staying through the weekend (Sunday included) we could cancel, mais NON!! La maitress would not back down on Les regles, and her approach became decidedly irritable.. Even though there were empty rooms available (a woman was shown the room across the hall, which was empty, for her consideration, but she didn't book it or anything else at the hotel), the establishment takes your money and will absolutely not reliquish it.

Our first approach from the highway to the hotel's location led us through a very rough side of Nimes, and I began to despair as I realized, seeing the kilometers on the GPS tick down, that we were nearing our destination. I had, from the hotel's appearance on a website, been expecting something much more rural, not in a locale so close to the railway station.

The hotel is in an 18th C house which was probably at one time situated in a much grander neighborhood. The woman who owns it frequently indulges her need to buy antiques and other decorative objects. We were greeted by her at our first breakfast. If you aren't a member of the family who owns Chanel or Louis Vuitton, or one of the famous musicians who rents the entire hotel for themselves and their entourage (when scheduled as the headline act to close the Nimes summer music festival), don't expect to interact with her again... On the other hand, her husband is absolutely delightful, and extremely helpful, actually taking cars to the parking lot at the railway station, and providing interesting ideas for local day trips.

I must say that I did enjoy their pool, and at breakfast provided outside in the front garden (or when raining in the cloistered area off of the kitchen) the homemade jams were exquisite, and the yoghurt was some of the best I have ever tasted. Comfortable beds and lovely linens...

All in all for such an extremely large expense, I think one could find far more bang for the buck in a more hospitable setting...

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the upstairs level overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank egs
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I cannot add any other superlatives to those reviews below, as they say all I wish to say and they say with such style too - just one thing GO and see for yourself and be spoiled too! Our last night there, a Monday just after the Feria de Vendages, they couldnt recommend a restaurant so they prepared a simple meal for us at the hotel instead. Again all the extra touches added, candles everywhere and wonderful music - Very spoiling!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are probably lighter
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I have waited a while to write this review, as I was trying to think of the right superlatives.....I've given up, and decided on just one....INCREDIBLE. In over forty years of travel, I have never been to a place like this, and I doubt I ever will again, it is most definitely a one off. From the moment you arrive, you enter a different world, almost a different era....one of peace and tranquility, efficient, unobtrusive service, evocative bedrooms with beautiful linens.....I could go on endlessly, but the superlatives are beginning to creep in !! Just go, and experience it !! Yes, it is expensive, but you are paying for more than just B & B here......yes, the bedrooms are dark, but that just adds to the ambience....and yes there is certain aroma to the place.....it's a very old building....it smells....old !!! If this puts you off, there are many charmless, corporate chain hotels nearby, I suggest you go to one of them, rather than posting disrespectful reviews on here. If, on the other hand you want the experience of a lifetime, such as we had, then look no further.....I can't recommend it highly enough. !!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pottle2013
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This was our fourth visit. As always, we loved our stay. Everything is so beautifully done: the dishes, the breakfast, the towels, the sheets, the bathroom accessories. The staff is wonderful as well. This trip I was ill briefly...nothing serious, but I went to the hospital for tests. Everyone at Les Jardins Secrets was so concerned and so helpful. I really felt like a member of the family. Of course, we look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: We like the second floor rooms in the newer part of the hotel. They are quiet and have good outdoor...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

I am not going to write a long review this year as this is our 4th stay in 5 yrs and we just keep coming back. I think that says enough - please look through the archives for my previous reviews.

The place is still fantastic - Christophe, Annabelle, Aurelie and Hugo looked after us impeccably, as ever, and the 24 hr escape from the children was just bliss.

There is a review from a few weeks before our stay this year that says everything I would want to echo about the place. I am only jealous that they stayed for 5 nights and I can't find anyone to look after my kids for that long...

If I won the lottery, I would live here for 6 months of the year. We don't keep coming back for Nimes, although it's a nice town - we keep coming back for the garden, the pool, the atmosphere, and my friends the tortoises!

Coming back into the garden at night, with all the candles lit,
after a bottle of wine and a nice meal is one of my favourite things.

Love it - going back next year.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Ok so first things first. You are unlikely to stay in a hotel quite like this anywhere else in the world. We arrived outside what appeared to be a walled residence in a quiet Nimes street, parked and rang the buzzer at the closed entrance. Very quickly, a pleasant young lady appeared, accompanied by a young man eager to put our car in the garage and collect our bags, and showed us into a beautiful walled garden, seemingly cut off - in a different dimension even - from the world outside. She showed us through the garden and into a beautiful French villa packed with gorgeous antique furniture which felt like an upmarket home owned by someone with tremendous taste and class. I commented that this was just like visiting very interesting friends, and that is a good description of our stay and how we were treated. The hotel is privately owned by a family for whom it is clearly a labour of love and they put everything into making their visitors feel rested, spoiled and comfortable. Indeed, the owner chatted to us on various occasions to ensue we were as happy as we could be; a really pleasant chap. Our room was called La Chappelle and had a glass frontage onto the garden itself, where breakfast was served on quaint garden furniture just through the glass doors of our room. I have rarely experienced a more peaceful and tranquil scene and it was difficult to contemplate exploring Nimes when we would have been content to stay in this garden paradise for the duration of our stay. I must make special mention of Hugo, a young hotel employee, who attended us throughout the stay and for whom nothing was too much trouble. He even took us a tour of the other hotel rooms (up until that point, we had thought ours was the best but were forced to think again) and gave us a history of the place. With its beautiful gardens, gorgeous but homely interior and lazy cats and tortoises, it is one of the most idyllic hotels we have ever experienced with first class service to match.

Room Tip: Any room will delight.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nimes
Vatel Hotel & Spa
Villa Mazarin
Villa Mazarin
#1 of 15 in Aigues-Mortes
Hotel de L'Amphitheatre

Been to Jardins Secrets? Share your experiences!