“French Charm”
Review of Jardins Secrets

Jardins Secrets
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Nimes
Reviewed 13 October 2009

We stayed twice in this hotel and found it to be charming though difficult to find due to overhanging branches covering the sign. Both rooms were extremely comfortable with excellent quality beding and big white fluffy towels. The receptionists were very helpful in booking retsaurants and with directions. Breakfast was some of the best we have had in France. The garden is very pretty and the location is quiet for a city centre though you can hear passing trains. The service was excellent and the car was parked for you though there is a charge for parking. Would return if passing this way again

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 September 2009

I took my partner to Jardins Secrets as a suprise for his 40th Birthday! Wow, from the minute we walked in it blew us away.
Just magical, the house, the gardens, the rooms, the staff, the owners, even the jam- oops thats meant to be a secret.
I cannot recommend this beautiful place highly enough.
On every single level the pleasure of the guests has been thoroughly thought through.
Its 2 minutes from Nimes station so ideal for jumping off a 3 hours TGV trip from Paris, straight into this idyllic little haven.
We were lucky enough to be upgraded when we arrived which again made my boyfriend's special birthday even more special.
We loved our 2 nights here and can't wait to return.
Ignore all the other bad reviews on here, this place is out of this world, boutique at it very very best!!!!
Finally, I doubt my partner will ever be able to find somewhere as special as this for my big bday, but at least if he doesn't we can return to Jardins Secrets knowing it will be amazing!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anon081
Reviewed 2 September 2009

We booked a trip to this hotel for two nights - unfortunately our plans changed and we contacted the hotel to change the dates of our stay. The hotel was unwilling to change our dates and they charged us the full 100% of the two night stay.

I understand that cancellation policy is different in all hotels - but over 10 days before arrival and full charges. I find this unacceptable.

Looks like most of the folks that stayed here enjoyed it - but don't expect any assistance if you need it from this hotel's management.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
10  Thank SBMNm
Reviewed 27 August 2009

I've always wanted to stay at this hotel so jumped at the chance when we got to go last week to see a concert at the spectacular Roman arena there. Yes the hotel is near the station and you can hear the announcements, but it is a gem of a place and we found the owners and staff very welcoming and friendly, our room and air con divine and the breakfasts a sumptuous enough spread to take you through the day.

Do however watch out for their bar charges, as we were to discover on checking out (there were no price lists anywhere). You will pay 5 euros for a 75cl bottle of water, 7.50 euros for a beer and a truly astonishing 20 euros for a G&T. Given that we didn't venture out until evening to explore Nimes as we wanted to spend our precious holiday reading and relaxing in the gardens, our bar bill for 4 days came to an horrific 350 euros. For basically a couple of beers and a couple of G&T's a day.

Tip? Find the nearest supermarche and stock up for a fraction of the price. We were so shocked on check out we didn't leave a tip, which is a shame as they have lovely staff who clearly work very hard.

Also do avoid Le 9 restaurant, which is recommended by the owners (their friends run it) and instead for the same money, Le Vintage is a much better option, with lovely Provencal wines by the glass and delicious food.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I wish I had read tripadvisor before checking in to Les Jardins Secrets, I found the hotel in the Tatler magazine and I will write to them as well because their information was completely false.
This place is not charming, the staff ( owner of the hotel rude), the decoration tacky, not as in the pictures, it seems the limoges china was bought in flea markets and nothing matched, there was no lunch or dinner, what kind of provence hotel of this ´supposed¨category does not serve lunch or dinner to their guests? the spa is only available if you rent out the entire spa for yourself which costs more than a week in thailand, so dont go if your looking to have a massage. I wanted to check out before my departure date but owner charged me the entire stay and would not discount a night, which has never happened to me before so if you do reserve , try one night only and if you like it then stay longer or else you will not get your money back.
and last but not least, I did not feel relaxed I felt that the entire time i was being watched and that there were cameras in every room, owner really does not know much about creating a charming atmosphere for ones relaxation and well being, in fact i left feeling worse.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
6  Thank gabriela50
Reviewed 8 August 2009

one of the most misleading hotels I have ever discovered.
Staff is rude, unprofessional and look scared of the owner,
There is no restaurant and food for lunch or dinner, the hotel is next to a train station, so what do you expect of noise.
Looks like a flea market, and photos on their site is misleading.
Staff wouldnt allow me to use internet and I felt suffocated rather than relaxed and charmed by the place. Would never recommend this place to anyone, particularly if you want to enjoy the charm of Provence.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
7  Thank leilaMadrid
Reviewed 27 May 2009

Overall a very impressive property and polite, efficient staff. The atmosphere is very laid back which fits the character of the building absolutely. If you're looking for an all-in service Hilton/Radisson type place with 24hr room service and high speed WiFi this hotel is not for you. If what you're after is a memorable and unique property to share with a partner I would recommend the Jardins Secret.

The only real downsides I can think of is the lack of catering once breakfast is done and the limited space in the hotel's secure parking. We arrived late and had to park on the street. Sure enough my car got broken into. Still, my bad for not either insisting on access to the secure parking or taking the car to a public underground car park. Live and learn.

On balance, a memorable experience (for mostly good reasons) and a real sense that you've found a "hidden gem" of a hotel. Go into it knowing what to expect (leave the kids at home!) and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nimes
Vatel Hotel & Spa
Hotel de L'Amphitheatre
Villa Mazarin
Villa Mazarin
#1 of 15 in Aigues-Mortes

Been to Jardins Secrets? Share your experiences!