“Wish We'd Had More Time!”

Les Halles de Narbonne
Book In Advance
More Info
US$182.31*
and up
City Tour of Narbonne, The Old Roman Capital
Ranked #2 of 57 things to do in Narbonne
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I could easily have spent several hours exploring all the stalls in this wonderful covered market, but we had only a short time there before meeting friends for lunch. The wealth of fresh meats, seafood, cheeses, baked goods, specialty foods, and much more, is amazing, and there are also places inside the market to have a glass of wine and a snack.

The market's canal-side location, with easy underground parking just steps away, makes it even more appealing. If I lived in Narbonne, I'd be a regular customer!

2  Thank LocalFoodLoverNW
"horse meat"
"street market"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed with friends in Argeleirs and they took us right away to this place to see the offerings of the south of Franc!e. We loved the meat! Chickens, pig heads, everything and a lot of it still in tact...like the chickens! My favorite was the large dried figs we bought and have enjoyed on our travels since. This market isn't quite Barcelona level but does give one a taste of the richness available in French life! Ce bon!

3  Thank dalnor
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Les Halles in Narbonne is a foody's dream. The area surrounding Les Halles has been completed and much improved. On Sunday, much parking surrounding the market is free, a real bonus. Outside, the stalls offer all sorts of merchandise from shoes, books, clothes to hunting paraphernalia. However, the real treasure is inside Les Halles. Olives, tapenade, fish, boudin, crustaceans, meats, charcuterie, boulangerie, fromagerie etc, etc and the number of sellers makes it an even more attractive opportunity to buy whatever you want at an attractive price. We bought THE best tapenade and olives we've had in France in many years here. The monkfish we purchased was outstanding, boudin to die for. If you want to purchase the basics of exquisite French cooking, this is the place. I had a ball here.

6  Thank Ciaran-O
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Hi there
We stayed in Narbonne for two weeks and went to this market most days to purchase food to take to our apartment and cook or just to eat there and then, or to take on picnics. The cheeses blew me away. My favorite was the goats cheeses (les chevres) particularly the ones shaped like a pear and the little ones topped with cranberries. Try also the wines ..there are small bars offering tastings and stand up or sit at bar stool food and wine delights. The atmosphere is fantastic..one of the stalls selling meats has a colourful character, an ex rugby player, who wraps up the orders for the little restaurant opposite and flings them in the air across the tables. There is also pre prepared food. Hare with grapes, and a tangine of duck and prunes. And oh the pates, terrines and pastries. I returned home with narbonne and les halles (and restaurants) firmly sitting on my waist. Enjoy!

4  Thank ozsolo53
See more reviews
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We only had a few hours in Narbonne....which I agree would make a wonderful base for a vacation in the area. I chose to visit the market with some of my time....since I love markets. For an American seeing those lovely fat coated confited duck legs was a treat. Lot of wonderful looking foods in all categories.
It does seem that European "markets" and American "Supermarkets " are becoming more alike, aside from the buildings themselves.

3  Thank JK68