“Central location,attractive decor”
Review of Hotel du Midi

Hotel du Midi
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Narbonne
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Arrived at 21.30 after 2 hours of atrocious storms on way from Toulon. Made to feel very welcome by proprietor (?) on reception, who suggested eating places and how to find them. Good car parking facilities and imaginatively decorated rooms. Good location for exploring the town centre.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 June 2013

I gave myself 2 weeks cooling off period before writing this review as I do not write negative reviews lightly. After 2 weeks I still think the hotel is not acceptable for you if you are non-smoker. My main beef with the hotel is advertising of rooms as non-smoking while they hardly can be called so.
But to be fair, let’s start with the review of hotels’ plus/minus rating. Big plus is that the place is reasonably priced. It is also recently renovated, so everything works. The location is not the best in town, but it is OK. Hotel du Midi is located somewhat away (by Narbonne standards) from places of interest, but still close – about 15 min walk from the Cathedral. It is in a relatively safe area, though it is not the most prosperous part of town. There are plenty of ethnic (mostly Arab, Turkish and some Spanish/tapas) restaurants around. Free parking on the street is readily available, so one doesn’t need to use overpriced (12E per night) hotel parking. Double rooms are basic and are on a smaller side: queen bed fits in, but not much more. Bathrooms (shower + toilet in our case) are not very big either: we managed without a problem, but if you are on a bigger side you may have problem fitting in between a sink and a toilet. The sink in our bathroom was a joke – it was so small that when I opened water a little more it started pouring out like a fountain. Other amenities include standard flat screen TV mounted on the wall, cable with BBC and free WiFi.
So back to ‘smoking problem’: the hotel is advertised as completely non-smoking. When we arrived, I asked a person at the reception about smoking and instead of telling me that smoking is not allowed, he (probably assuming that I was a smoker) said that some people smoke with open windows, indirectly suggesting that it is OK. This person turned out to be the hotel's director. On my objections that the room would smell tobacco if someone did so, the director backtracked. My wife went to check the room and when she came back telling us that the room stunk with cigarette smoke the director staged a strange spectacle: first he insisted that smell of cigarettes is subjective and that he needs to send his female employee to verify my wife's claim. She came back saying that it didn’t smell to her (note both director and his employee are smokers – their own admission). When I asked the director why my wife would tell him that it smelled cigarettes if in fact it didn’t, he had no answer. On my request to give another room the director refused.
Unfortunately it was late – we arrived around 10pm so we decided to stay. When we went into the room my wife pointed out that the window was open even though it was chili outside. Obviously it was open by the staff in order to ventilate the room for guests, so they actually knew about the cigarette stink and tried to mitigate it.
A little later when we went out to get something to eat we bumped into another couple who just arrived and were getting into their room. The door was open as they were bringing in their luggage in, so I peeked into their room – the window was open!
Thus I have every reason to believe that there are no truly non-smoking rooms in this hotel. That is why I gave to this hotel poor rating instead of average as I would have done otherwise.

I NEED TO ADD AN ABSOLUTELY APPALLING NOTE ABOUT BOOKING.COM THROUGH WHICH I BOOKED THE HOTEL DU MIDI: when I contacted booking customer service and gave them evidence that they should not advertise the Hotel du Midi as non-smoking, after long back and forth, they refused to take any action. The hotel is still advertised as non-smoking on booking.com. Moreover, I gave 2-sentence review of Hotel du Midi on booking where I basically said only that it cannot be considered non-smoking. Booking informed me that they published the review and gave me the link. However, they didn’t - my review does not appear among customer reviews of this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TravelingWithFriends
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Welcome was nice. Owner and receptionist were friendly and willing to help out. Free parking on the street. Room is small and bathroom very small. Both were clean. When all windows are closed no noise from street. Unfortunately the noise from other rooms is a lot. Location is good. Close to the center.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2013

The hotel is approximately 15-20 mins walk from the rail station.. Reception service was good, didn't encounter any issues, and proceeded to our room.. There is an elevator at your disposal.. Our rooms was clean, spacious, the bath room was a little tiny, with a window view of the street.. Fortunately it wasn't noisy as I would expect it.. So we had a good sleep till morning.. There is a carrefour market nearby, so food was not an issue.. There is a pizza corner nearby, it does delivery service, no tables or chairs at their premise, pure delivery service but you are more than welcome to have your pizza at the counter if you don't mind standing.. Great pizzas and a funny and friendly owner!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Abura17
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We stayed here for three nights in January 2013, and our stay was enjoyable. The room we were in was absolutely colossal - bigger than many rooms in 3 or 4 star establishments - and the bathroom was also huge and clean. It was extremely comfortable, the television had enough channels to keep everyone busy, and there was plenty of storage space. The hotel has a lift, and it's well-insulated against outdoors noise. The staff were very helpful and friendly, and spoke good English. In all, this was a nice place to come back to each night.

Just a tip - if you arrive at the train station with heavy suitcases, take a taxi to the hotel rather than walking with them. Also, despite the hotel itself being great, the area is a little uncomfortable. We're two young women, and we felt a little uneasy walking through from the station to the hotel in the evening. Again, I'd recommend taking a taxi.

Still, I recommend Hotel du Midi itself immensely!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank selfadhesive
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Room was clean and tidy, but not very comfortable looking. Floor was cold. Thick windows, so no noise from outdoor. Thin doors, so all the noise from corridor can be heard. Bathroom was really nicely decorated and felt brand new. Okay staff. It's not very close to the train station or the city centre. With its price the quality was okay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Cadhlan
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Not too far from the city center, quiet, clean and very good value for the price. People in reception were very helpful and kind. Wifi is free and it's pretty easy to park in front of the hotel or in the nearby.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple