“Exquisite but baffling”

Chez Monsieur Edouard
Ranked #38 of 384 Restaurants in Limoges
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Memphis, Tennessee
“Exquisite but baffling”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I came to eat here on a Friday night at roughly 9 pm. The host, who I can only assume to be the owner, was rather gregarious (and a tiny bit annoying) but certainly efficient. I ordered two items, the escargot in cream sauce and the poached egg served with cream and smoked salmon. The first item was wonderful but the second was absolutely divine. I wiped out an entire basket of bread wiping up every last drop from the ramekin! It was paired with a fairly average red wine.

Back to the host...he clearly had a lot of customers who'd been coming there awhile, and he spent most of his time conversing and joking around with them when not serving food or directing staff. As I was clearly not local, he didn't converse much with me, but this didn't bother me. What did bother me was that while the two of us interacted in French, he would return after each instance to one of the other staff members and instruct them to "go serve English over there." He remained gruff in every interaction and never served me the food directly. Perhaps it was cultural, but I never encountered this at any other restaurant, and I've been to France four times. Just weird!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Harlequin84

“Superb!”
Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

Excellent food, reasonable good price, friendly people. We, family of 4 with young childern (8,13), ordered the menu du jour (3 plates, €19,50}. Perfectly tastety food. I had the mixed meat starter, followed by rumpsteak &delicious baked potatoes and finnished with a redfruit tiramisu. Highly recommened!

1 Thank yepster
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Atmospheric”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Excellent food, great atmosphere, very good value for money. Close to a number of good hotels. A wide ranging menu serving local dishes.

• Visited July 2012