“Groovy hotel”

Ranked #32 of 44 Hotels in Limoges
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Groovy hotel”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

A wonderful, quirky establishment – a real antidote to the blandness of the hotel chain, but perhaps not everybody’s tasse de thé. In style it has a belle epoch feel, although the décor is not so much tired as completely exhausted, but our room was spacious with a crystal chandelier, a marble fireplace and a balcony overlooking the square in front. The location couldn’t have been better for accessing on foot most of what Limoges has to offer, including the river, the cathedral, the tourism information office, the shops and the restaurants – and parking right outside is free from 6pm-9am. The hotel‘s dining room is a museum to the era of the gramophone record – with a variety of phonographic machines to marvel over. Breakfast however at 9 euros a head (and no reduction for children) was not value for money, though the room rates were reasonable. At night it was noisy outside but shutting the big balcony windows brought peace – although at a price, there’s no air conditioning so if you visit in high summer the room can get very warm. The bed-linen and towels were all freshly laundered and the welcome was cheerful and laid-back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We needed a cheapish hotel, fairly central, and fit for a family with 2 young kids. Really clean, comfy beds, nice en suite. Great location in town. Wish we had had 2 nights to see more of Limoges. Free parking just outside from 7 pm to 9 am which was great.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank MrsSIbbs
Norfolk, UK
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We wanted to steer clear of any of the ubiquitous chain hotels and instead spent a night at the Hotel De La Paix. Conveniently located in a beautiful square with a small park, the hotel had genuine charm and the welcome was friendly. We were able to park the car overnight right in front of the hotel without charge. In the daytime parking is restricted, but the hotel offers parking in a garage. The centre of town with numerous food and entertainment options as well as most tourist sites are within easy walking distance. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dieter H
Pembrokeshire
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Yes I will definately return to this "quirky" hotel, you couldn't find more helpful and friendly owners, they didn't have to be asked to give me a map of the area and mark the interesting attractions. Then they checked we weren't vegetarian before telling us of an amazing restaurant show casing Limousin beef. The best beef I have had in any restaurant for a very long time.

I loved the decor, our room and bathroom were fine, I didn't notice the drunks but I am a good sleeper but I did find the bed a bit firm.

Breakfast was a typical french buffet and the bread exceptionally tastyand lovely fresh peaches.

We used the parking garage which was convenient but my husband commented it was a bit scary going up to the second level on a large and heavy BMW motorbike, I let him bring it down on his own which is not a good idea as as operating the key exit while on the bike is tricky, I'll go with him next time.

If they reccommend the restaurant "La Vache au Plafond" ask them to book you a table, we only just got in and it really is a not to miss ecperience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the square if possible.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

As others have said this is a quirky and unusual place! We stayed there for two nights.The decor is truly original - all old gramopgones and phonographs and associated era stuff! It's in a small square, with a tiny garden at the centre, about 5 minutes from the Cathedral and a similar distance the other way from the Eglise St Michel.It's quite a busy place with a lot of traffic but quiet at night (we didn't hear any drunks as another contributor did, and our room did overlook the square). Our room was on the second floor -no lift - and was fine but the bed was very uncomfortable. The petit dejeuner was traditionally French and absolutely fine! All the staff were very helpful and friendly. Parking is either on meters (free at night until 9am) or in a private garage at 8 euros per night.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paula S
Ojai, California
Reviewed 13 July 2012

After reading TA reviews and a suggestion from a DK guide, I reserved this hotel for my small family. The Hotel de la Paix was more than "quirky," it's just plain weird. It's hard to explain; I've never seen anything like it. Besides being filled with gramophones, it's like an old guest house with plastic this-n-that everywhere.

The best thing about the hotel is the owners, who I found completely charming and helpful. The evening front desk gentleman, who I found out later was the owner's eldest son, couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. I believe I met the owner's wife and another son, equally gracious.

The room was large with two floor to ceiling windows and a small balcony. I experienced the same nuisance as other TA guests with the drunks in the park across the street -- noisy and raucous. Earplugs helped. Beds okay. The bathroom had an electric toilet (never seen one of these before and it was noisy).

The hotel is well-situated in Limoges, a wonderful town. Limoges has good food, nice people and beautiful sites. It was a pleasure each day we trekked around the city.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank TravelinFuel_3
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 12 May 2012 via mobile

Okay, it is not a glamorous five star hotel, but they are SO nice here and when you are tired, that means a lot! I told the cabbie I needed someplace close to a really good restaurant, clean, and close to the train station as I will leave in the morning. Perfect. Nothing special but I have a clean bath tub, a window, I am only paying 60 E for the one night. Right up the street is a fun restaurant. Fine in a pinch, but this would not be a destination hotel for me if I were only traveling for a week.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo