“Average food, typical french service, expensive”
Review of Grand Cafe Foy

Grand Cafe Foy
Ranked #44 of 558 Restaurants in Nancy
Price range: US$40 - US$158
Cuisines: French, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reading, United Kingdom
“Average food, typical french service, expensive”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

On arrival in Nancy, we were advised by the hotel staff to eat inthe place Stanislav but to avoid the two restaurants whose names both began with the letter "C". Of the two remaining, we chose Cafe Fo (featured in a Daily Telegraph review). It was the wrong choice.

To be clear up front, I do not eat meat but do eat seafood. Bpth my wife and I decided to go for. the fixed menu with wine (€43 per head). For starters, I took the smoked salmon, which was very average (that was being kind).Vlearly came straight from a low qua'ity supermarket pack with a bit of olive oil and creme fraiche thrown in, my wife had the foie gras which again was very average (and quite hard, apparently) although the accompanying fruit coulis and cohsen wine were good.
For main course, I chpse the cod, which was basically a posh version of a boil in the bag cod piece with vegetables. Utterly tasteless and very boring, not even accompanied by a sauce. My wife had the stak - served 'bleu' - which was apparently very good, although the accompanying vegetables were of the same ilk as my whole main course. Choice of wine for this course were also very mediocre.
For dessert, we both chose creme brulee, which was served cold, but was very tasty.

Service was typical Parisien - brusque, unfriendly, food almost thrown at you and since service was included she clearly wasn't interested in any tips - which was just as well really.

Overall a poor experience for what could have been a very romantic meal in a great setting.

• Visited March 2014

London
“Typical French arrogance”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Unfriendly, uninterested waitress, food mediocre, bland in taste. Big chinks of uncut lettuce seem to be latest fashion in France..Why? The view is great (Place de Stanislas, 1 of the ost beautiful squares in the world). Had dinner here, first and last time.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Bart S
LONDON
“overpriced”
Reviewed 24 April 2013

While staying in Nancy we popped into the cafe for a welcome break.It certainly has the wow factor beautiful decor and surroundings and obviously very popular as it was packed with people. The pastries and cakes on display all looked mouthwatering.However we only wanted a drink and chose the hot chocolate which cost 3.4 euro[ having come from Italy this seemed very expensive] but we knew we were in part paying for the suroundings which was fair enough. What we got was indifferent service and a glass of what tasted like runny powdered chocolate flavoured hot water and only a small quantity in the bottom of the glass to boot, definately not the gourmet experience we were expecting. we left feeling very disappointed

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank FUSSYBUTFAIRLONDON
Marietta, Georgia
“Never had a bad meal here.”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I visit Foy every time I come to Nancy. The food and service are both good. The wine pairings with the Prix Fixe Menu are well done.

• Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Glad I went but I wouldn't go back”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We ate in the upstairs restaurant at the recommendation of our hotel manager. The setting was lovely, the service was okay but the food was a little disappointing. With everything else having the wow factor I set my expectations high for good food but it was only okay and I felt the meal was a little rushed where I like to have a little time between courses to enjoy the wine and conversation.

• Visited February 2013