“Hospital food, dirty room, should be 1 star”

Quality Hotel Christina Lourdes
Ranked #63 of 185 Hotels in Lourdes
Balzan, Malta
“Hospital food, dirty room, should be 1 star”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We spent 5 nights in this dirty hotel. The room at first glance looks refurbished but it was dirty. my son had a nose bleed on day 2 and dirtied the pillow, which we left to be changed... it never was. The room cleaning meant replacing the towels only.
To sleep was a nightmare, every time a door closes or some one flushes the toilet on the same floor it feels they are in your room.
We were on full board...believe me cant get worse than this. My kids compared it to hospital food.Pasta overcooked and white rice was slightly brown in colour. Cannot comment more since we didnt eat there anymore.
We asked if we can pay extra for a later checkout since our flight was at 2.30am. The son's owner said no since they were totally full. He lied since on booking.com there were 2 single rooms and 4 double rooms available and was so arrogant when we confronted him.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
CHRISTINALOURDES, Directeur général at Quality Hotel Christina Lourdes, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Bonjour de l hôtel Christina à Lourdes
Thank you again for supporting our hotel so strongly ! same group as last message from Henabela from malta. no coments. Just to remember you asked for porterage and one of your employe bring down Your father 's luggages, so!!!!
that is enought now.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Malta
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Restaurant staff were not helpful apart from one waiter. Bathroom cleaning was never done during our stay. The room attendant just put new towels everyday. Food was not catered for children during our stay. The location of the hotel is good. The room that we stayed in was good as well.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
REPUBLIC OF MALTA
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Me and my wife have just returned from a 5 day stay on full board basis at this hotel. All that we can say is that we found this hotel to be one of the best hotels in Lourdes. Its a few minutes walk away from the Grotto. The rooms were allways clean and tidy, the restaurant service was excellent, and the food was very good. There is no fan or A/C bit these are not needed here because inside the room these are not needed. Surely there is nothing to complain about this hotel. We will recommend this hotel to everyone who will be going to Lourdes.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Malta
Reviewed 28 July 2013

go up and admire the view. We were with a pilgrimage on full board.
pros: Lunch and dinner are really good!! waiters are fantastic!! free wi-fi
cons:room small(ours was at the back towards their japanese garden) no a/c small shower cubicle

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank duminka
Martin, South Dakota
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I checked into this quaint hotel for three nights in Lourdes as part of my European pilgrimage tour of 2012. It was more than I expected and I enjoyed the hospitality that I had received from Alin, the receptionist on duty. To start with, I found the walk from the train station to the hotel to be pleasant. It was like stepping back in time and admiring all the "Frenchness" of this bustling little town at the foothills of the French Pyrenees.

I personally thought that I had chosen the best time of year to be in Lourdes. It was the first full week of June and the weather was beautiful while visiting. It was like being on a retreat. It was solemn and restful. The hotel provided me the comfort that I needed away from my home as it rests along the river Gave de Pau that passively flows through the heart of this spiritual place in honor of Our Blessed Mother.

If you plan a retreat to Lourdes, I recommend a Monday through Wednesday as the crowds are not as large and you can fully appreciate the solemn experience while at the Basilica, which is a short walk from the Hotel. (I appreciated this as I was on foot preparing myself to walk the French route of the Camino to Santiago de Compostela). There are many shops, cafes, and bars also within walking distance from the hotel. The train station is approximately a 20 minute walk from the hotel.

My standard room (Chambre 304) was small, but tidy and clean. It was your basic single room with few amenities, but that was ok, as to me it was about the experience of being in Lourdes and I didn’t spend much time in my room any way. The room was restful and quiet away from the elevator (lift) with a garden view. The room had a small desk to journal and was equipped with a TV with remote for those who want to keep in touch with what is going on in the world while away from home. The bathroom off the door way entrance was petite with a bidet and a separate toilet. The porcelain sink was small, but manageable. The shower was nice and warm with an enclosed shower curtain.

The room comes equipped with free Wi-Fi access, which I did not take advantage of because I used the onsite computer assigned for the guests (located near the vicinity of the reception area) to check and to send Email. Note: the keyboard is a bit awkward for those not used to using a French keyboard.

I did take advantage of the complimentary breakfast buffet which was offered to the hotel guests: a typical French “petit dejeuner” with some yogurts and fruits mixed in (Not exactly your Grand Slam Breakfast at your local Denny’s Restaurant). The hotel cost with the breakfast was reasonably priced (50 Euros per night) for this time of year.

I also ate at the hotel for dinner one night which was excellent: tomato soup, an egg dish with mixed vegetables, and fresh fish topped with a slender cream filled dessert covered in chocolate.

I got to practice my French with the late night receptionist on duty. Alin was quite pleasant to talk with and was a great resource on local information and French culture.

When you go to this hotel, do not forget to check out the top of the hotel. It has an amazing view of the valley with the snowcapped mountains draped in the background. I cannot emphasize how much I appreciated the stunning view from atop the roof of this hotel even at night with the stars lighting the sky from above. Not to mention you can play chess on their human sized chess board and play miniature golf on top of this roof. Now that is something you cannot do at just any hotel.

While in Lourdes, definitely stroll the streets and take in the sights and sounds of the town (follow the sidewalk with the painted blue line), take in the candle light luminary rosary procession as the highlight of your evening as every pilgrim does, light a devotional candle with a prayer intention, and then quaff down a beer at one of the local pubs near the basilica to cap off the evening with your newly met pilgrim friends visiting from around the world.

One of my favorite local things I did while visiting Lourdes was to take in the French Movie with English subtitles: Je m'appelle Bernadette. This was a great foreign film that I strongly recommend that gives you a better appreciation of the young St. Bernadette and how the village people reacted when she saw the apparitions of Our Lady and revealed to her who she was (“I am the Immaculate Conception”). I had the whole theater to myself as it is off the beaten path but well worth seeing if you have the time.

Finally, take in the life sized Stations of the Cross along the hillside from the Basilica. As part of my pilgrimage experience, I spent an early evening going to each station to avoid the dinner crowd and had the hillside to myself. If you have time, do take in a bath. It was probably the most spiritual highlight of my Lourdes experience that I will not forget. Go in with no expectations and you will come out refreshed and renewed: a new person blessed in the holy spring water.

I recommend this hotel for anyone who is not picky but wants a good night’s sleep and off the beaten path from the main tourist areas of town. Bonjour!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank A K
Reviewed 13 September 2012 via mobile

The Best Western Hotel Christina had a very good location in Lourdes. For me, it was about a 15 minute walk into the heart of the sanctuary.

The hotel staff was pleasant, caring and hard-working. My room was clean, and I had a nice view out of my window.

I always looked forward to breakfast, which was excellent.

I definitely would stay at this hotel again.

Ruth Ann (Arizona)

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Patiently
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 September 2012

A year later, and again my room was clean, breakfast very good, and bathroom large, and very clean. The water pressure was excellent in shower, nice amenities, special soaps and shower gel.
I do suggest however, to go to breakfast when they first start serving for a good variety. Still had, cappuccino, cocoa, The and coffee. rolls, etc. and cheese. This hotel is worth the little extra walk. Due to late train arrival I checked in late, and still received the nice welcome.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business