“Good location”

Ranked #47 of 185 Hotels in Lourdes
London, United Kingdom
“Good location”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I had originally booked another hotel nearby (Hotel Geneve), but it appeared to have forgotten by its owner when I reached there in the evening, and I was told to go to this nearby hotel instead. I was relieved to know that there was a vacancy, obviously, even though it would have been cheaper if booked online beforehand (but still reasonably priced).
The room seemed to have been refurbished recently, the bathroom was sparkling and spacious, there was also a TV, which I had not expected. I had a triple room to myself!
The night receptionist/barman was very friendly and helpful despite his little English. The modestly-priced bar was open even after the famous candle procession in the Sanctuary, therefore I could mingle with other pilgrimages at the bar, brilliant! (I know there is no receptionists after 8pm at other small hotels in the area, and so guests have to use PIN to get in; awkward...) The morning receptionist/breakfast waiter spoke English and very friendly, too.
This is within a walking distance of both the railway station and the Sanctuary, very conveniently located. I will definitely recommend this hotel to my friends(^_^)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Atsuko M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Skanderborg, Denmark
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We wanted an inexpensive but decent hotel close to the sights, and this is what we got. Nothing fancy, but it was nice, clean and quiet. The rooms are small but have what you need, and we were happy with our stay there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mortenpaatur
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for three nights and was impressed by the place, it appears to have had a lot of cash spent recently.10 mins from the station and the same to St Michael's gate. Receptionist and night porter friendly and polite but little or no English. Allowed me to book into the room at 9 00am as it was ready! Marvellous as I had vacated my other accommodation and had a heavy bag. The room was on the 4th floor but there is a lift. The stairs though were interesting, very wide wooden and spiral. Room was spotless with very nice bathroom and excellent shower. Didn't eat so can't comment on the food. Rounded off by small, well stocked bar
. Excelled value budget hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Tom K
Wokingham. Berkshire
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Well never say never again. I stayed at the Saint Etienne in 2008 and after that stay vowed never again it was just appalling, it was filthy, the shower room was the size of a small broom cupboard, the bed was bowed in the middle and leaned to one side after years of wear and no care, the pipes around the room and the corners had layers of dust, thick dust was everywhere, just nothing good about it.
While in Lourdes last year I noticed it had re-opened after a refurbishment and did look somewhat cleaner, nicer well better. So as I could not get into one of my usual hotels in Lourdes this February as it was “Our Lady of Lourdes Day” for the world sick and Lourdes was absolutely packed solid, so I thought well lets give it a second chance and fingers crossed.
On arrival I must say that the small reception/ bar area did look a lot better and the lady on reception was very polite indeed. So off I go to my room (106) walking up the stairs (There is a elevator/lift) I noticed that these had been totally rebuilt and everything looked cleaner, I got to my room opened the door and what a nice surprise decent double bed (even though I only booked a single) the bathroom was nice, clean and modern along with a good shower, even the storage in the room was fine. The room was not the biggest in the world but for one person it was good (Please see pictures).
The hotel states that the rooms are soundproofed, well I would not go along with that they certainly dull a lot of sound from adjoining rooms but as for people talking in the corridors the sound just bounces off the walls and DOES escalate in volume and as this hotel is mainly geared up for the large coach parties from Italy etc., believe me the sound really does get LOUD !
Breakfast was extra at 5.50 Euro and this was just a very basic breakfast, again portions are geared up to dealing with the coach parties even my 7.5cm triangle piece of cheese each morning was the same as was the slice of ham. Also, if you want it, there is a fixed 3 course dinner served in the restaurant each evening this must be booked during the day and is not just a walk in service, the cost is 13 Euro but I must point out again that this is again geared up for the large parties, so what is on the 3 course menu is what you get and nothing else.
The hotel is rated as a 3 star again I would not go totally along with this while the rooms are nice and streets ahead of what they were when I stayed last time in 2008, but the restaurant and the bar area (the bar has very limited choice) and the small seating area (again please see pictures) does not lend itself or allow itself space for so many rooms and indeed people, coach parties seem to congregate in one space and normally it's the hotel lobby. I have been very lucky to travel a fair bit and things do vary a lot but when I compare this hotel to the 3 star Isabella in Taormina, Sicily where I stayed in November last year (Please see my review and pictures which are on Tripadvisor) there is just no comparison what so ever the Isabella is just streets ahead and it cost me only a few Euros extra per night compared to the Saint Etienne. So the Saint Etienne, in my view, is really a 2 star and maybe a bit but not a 3 star.
The hotel is an easy 8 minute or so walk to the Grotto so all in all it is very central for most things, would I stay here again, if I could not get into one of my regular hotels I would say yes which is a HUGE improvement on my view of the hotel after my stay in 2008

Chris Leavy.
Independent Traveller.
With 3 Credits in The Rough Guide Travel Books.
(France, Turkey and China.)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank ItsLeavy
Metro Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Hotel Saint Ettiene's location is very convenient to all the sights in Lourdes, France especially the pilgrimage center which is really the primary purpose of a visit to Lourdes.

Took us about 15 minutes of leisurely walking to reach the pilgrimage site where the Lourdes Grotto, Basilica and Marian Procession emanates. There are also restaurants nearby if one would opt not to take the hotel's daily breakfast or for the other meals of the day. We booked for one breakfast in the morning where we were to take the baths and it was a fair one for the price (at 5.50€/pax) we paid.

There's no AC in the room and although we were quite apprehensive about it, this was not a problem at all since Lourdes is nestled in the southwestern Pyrenees region and we were there in September. We booked their double room with 2 single beds... Very basic and small room ... We noticed though that the bathroom was even more comfortable than the size of our room.

Would recommend this to our friends who will be going on a pilgrimage to Lourdes.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LILODEAR
Germany
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The best feature of this hotel is the location. It only takes around 5 Mins to the gate of the Grotto. We had three beds-room. it was very simple room. No aircon, but it was ok since the weather was quite cool in October ( I cannot imagine though when it is in hot summer day )

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 Thank YudyL
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We arrived in Lourdes and found the hotel straight away! We could not believe how close it was to the grotto. We were a family of 5 which is always difficult to find rooms for and we were very pleased to find proper beds not camp beds.
The hotel staff were great.
The room had everything we needed.
The breakfast was soon eaten.
We parked in the car park by the river and it wasn't too expensive.
Unfortunately for us it rained but that was not a problem as we were so near to all the facilities.
We only stayed one night but I would highly recommend to all families.

• Stayed August 2013