“Great meal at newly refurbished hotel”
Review of Hotel Arcades

Hotel Arcades
Ranked #64 of 185 Hotels in Lourdes
Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
“Great meal at newly refurbished hotel”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This hotel was very badly damaged by the flood in June 2013. We have used it often and called in knowing it was due to open to see if we could have a meal. The refurbishment is very smart. They were expecting the first group of the season and were happy to put on a meal for us, although the a la carte restaurant was not quite ready. The food was delicious and the service was so pleasant. We look forward to more meals there when we are back in the summer. The hotel deserves to do well as the staff are so welcoming and the food is good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kathleen D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
NYC
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My experience with Jean Buscail and team over the years has been "formidable." Friends from Texas returned this year, sure to stop by and see old friends. Indeed, I look forward to the energetic repair of the hotel following the recent floods, in particular, the 2013 flood. The term "hospitality" is well defined by Buscail.
I look forward to next season, knowing that my pilgrimage to Lourdes will be fully supported at the Arcades.
Bon courage, bon travail!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room, it is ok. Keep in mind the purpose of your visit. If you are skiing and expec...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Old_Scout_NYC
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 May 2012

we were very dissapointed with the room we were first given. It was like a cabin on the boat it was so small (with a ladder on the wall to add to the cramped atmosphere). There was no coffee or tea making facilities and when we asked at the bar for a cup of coffee the man serving, muttered under his breath and slammed the coffee down in front of us. The carpets in the halls were dirty. This hotel in no way deserves to be a 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: We looked at around 4 different rooms in this hotel and they were all terrible, give it a miss.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank LittleMonkeyLost

Travellers are raving about these Lourdes hotels

Wokingham. Berkshire
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I have stayed at the Hotel Arcades a number of times over the years and have not reviewed it since 2010 so I thought I would just give you an update.

The hotel has been privately owned and run for a couple of decades now by Monsieur Jean Buscail and his wife, you will see Jean nearly every evening walking around, in the restaurant greeting people and checking that everything is to their liking they really are still very hands on, and they really are a nice couple

Firstly on the negative side the restaurant/bar on the first floor is set out on a canteen type setting for eating but this is all geared up for the large groups only (coach loads literally) that come to Lourdes in high season, also the furniture and sofas etc around the bar area are somewhat on the worn side from the volumes of people over the years.

Now that's out of the way the itself hotel is approx a 300 metres walk to the sanctuary gates and its a fairly flat easy walk, but if you wish to walk up to the town centre or go to the Cachot where Bernadette lived during the time of the apparitions, it really is a fairly steep walk up. The rooms at the Arcades are a bit on the small side and I would say a bit cosy for two people but O.K. All rooms have a flat screen television with satellite connections and in general the rooms are in good order. The restaurant on the ground floor, a world apart from the one on the first floor, is nicely lit and well set out, the menu has two choices of set 3 course meals one at 16.50 Euros and the other at 21.00 Euros along with an la Carte where you can find dishes like Duck breast in an orange sauce at 13.50 Euros, house wine starts at 7 Euros and believe me its very drinkable, breakfast is a self service affair costing 8 Euros and there is a good selection, but please do not ask for fried breakfast we are in France. The reason I say this is because in a lot of reviews I read, and indeed people I come across on my travels go to another Country with expectations far, far to high, they may just have been watching to many Hollywood movies I don't know, but also I find they are people who have travelled very little or in some cases its their very first trip to another Country.
Saying that one must also consider that after Paris there are more hotel rooms in Lourdes than any other town or city in France and also that Lourdes has 5 Million visitors a year staying mostly between April and October so things can go wrong its a fact of life, but no one should have bad service but sadly it does happen. But adding that I have stayed in some pretty dreadful hotels in Lourdes a couple of which you will find on my Tripadvisor review page.
Where ever you travel in the world I hope you have a safe journey.

Chris Leavy.
Wokingham. Berkshire.
(With 3 Credits in The Rough Guide Travel Books. France, Turkey and China.)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ItsLeavy
Wokingham. Berkshire
Reviewed 1 February 2010

As you may have already seen, I have previously reviewed this hotel after my last visit there in 2009, and now I do try and stay here when visiting Lourdes, I find the staff always very helpful. When I arrived at the hotel and checked in the lady on reception gave me my room key, saying it was nice to see me back again, and that's after a year ! Obviously she must have checked the hotel records before I arrived, but it certainly makes you feel welcome and comfortable about your stay and that's why I stay here. Having already experienced a number of hotels in Lourdes where you would not even send your worst enemy.

We all have in our mind what is acceptable and what is not, some more tolerant then others, and I think a lot of this is how much you have travelled, maybe some people who travel very little seem to expect more who knows ? When it comes to Lourdes, and this is NO excuse for the hotels, most people only stay a few nights so the turnover is huge and when you consider, outside of Paris, there are more hotel rooms in Lourdes than any other town or city in France, that's a lot of people and considering that during the height of the season, end of March through to October, 10's of thousands of people pass through Lourdes everyday, you only have to look at the candle light procession every night to see that, so that's a big turn around for the hotel staff, so sometimes things do not always run as one would like. But for sure, things should never be unacceptable and certainly there is no excuse for rudeness.

As for this stay everything was as I expected, but some how the hotel seemed fresher and my room had a nice new, powerful, shower excellent ! But I must say the rooms are not that big, but not as small as some I have stayed in, including hotels in Lourdes. The staff are always on hand and very helpful, most have been here for a number of years now, they were fantastic so I had no complaints there, and the couple who own the hotel (It's still independently owned and not part of a group) pop in most evenings. I have already mentioned in my last review, that I always stay bed and breakfast as it gives me the option of where to have dinner. If you stay room only breakfast is 8 euros, and it's a reasonable selection (But please do not expect to find fried breakfast, you are in France ! ) Dinner is either la Carte where, let's say, Duck breast in an orange sauce with veg is 13.5 Euro some other dishes are less some are more, or there is a fixed 3 course menu from 16 Euro, and the food is fairly good.

The hotel is around 300 metres from the Sanctuary gates, so it's about a 5 minute easy walk, where if you were staying up along the Rue de la Grotte or Boulevard de la Gotte or up around Place Peyramale then it is a bit of a steep walk back up. As for this hotel is it 3 stars, well after this stay, yes without a doubt I had no problems, then again I was not staying in the height of the season.

Chris Leavy.
Wokingham, Berkshire.
(Independent Traveller with 3 credits in The Rough Guide Travel Books. France, Turkey and China)

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank ItsLeavy
Dublin
Reviewed 23 October 2008

There were lots of content people sitting around reception.and grumpy brash Spaniards! Receptionist was nice, good English, straightforward process, IT not used they had my booking in a folder -
I booked this over the phone for 6 of us and all i can think is DIVE. We checked out the room and the 3 of them were just yucky, toilets clean but a stale stuffy smell in bedrooms generally. Carpet needs changing, all over, need new modern bed covers, probably clean but soo 50 seasons ago!!

massive sticky outy gaudy numbers over bedroom doors the whole reception hasn;t been revamped in 20 years it seems, receptionist was wearing a jumper, suit needed!!

we left our bags, went immediately to find another place - found la solitude which was heaven by comparison.

Went and collected bags, told receptionist that didn't like rooms and left. no problem.

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank Icecreamcoffee
Birmingham, UK
Reviewed 21 August 2007

Firstly the price was double that of a hotel up the roadwhich offered breakfast and evening meals in its price. Other hotels were closer, this one has to be one of the furthest away!

Arcades charged €20 per person for each meal whereas a €10 meal deal could be found at a cafe on the bridge.

Room carpet was dirty, bathroom had peeling wallpaper, bath was stained and chipped, our view was of a giant extractor fan (not what we were told), there was no air conditioning at all, despite being told at booking that there was. The room was very very warm during the day with poor ventilation not aiding the situation.

One good aspect was the housekeeping service though I attribute this to the staff who made up the beds each morning as opposed to the management.

The front desk staff seemed eternally cranky and to be honest, the location of the hotel is far further than 300m. More like 800m, about 10 mins solid walking. Not easy if you're not a fit healthy individual visiting Lourdes.

Internet access was also charged at €5 per 30 minutes, there is no "WiFi" access that I was informed about or could connect to.

Won't be visiting this place again, I looked at many other places with superior quality rooms and service. And staff who smile :)

• Liked — Housekeeping service which did beds each morning and cleaned
  • Disliked — Staff rudeness, lack of facilities advertised in description, ageing condition.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank LourdesTraveller63