“Excellent location, service, ambiance!”

Grand Hotel Moderne
Ranked #1 of 185 Hotels in Lourdes
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

From inquiries to booking on their website, it was a breeze with Grand Hotel Moderne. They were very responsive to my questions and they even offered a pick-up service from Tarbes airport. When we arrived, our driver was waiting for us. It was easy. I did not see any taxi so the service was indeed helpful.

When we arrived at the hotel, i presented my voucher and we were given our keys. We were also given a map and a list of schedule of activities at the Sanctuary of Lourdes.

I was so happy that i chose this hotel. I love the architecture and its interiors. We felt like we're in a castle.

Our room was nice with two double beds and a balcony.

The toilet is separated from the bathtub area. My only concern was that they don't have a bidet inside the toilet so after taking nature's call, i have to transfer to the shower area to clean up. I hope they can add a bidet on their toilet.

The location was perfect! It was just 3 minutes walk to St. Joseph's gate. There are a lot of shops around for souvenirs.

The ambiance for the breakfast was fantastic! There's a basket of fruits on the table and a buffet choice of breads, jam, cheese and yogurt. The croissants were delicious!

Overall, we love our stay at Grand Hotel moderne. We only stayed 1 night due to our tight schedule. Wish we could have stayed longer. Recommended stay in Lourdes is at least 2 nights. We will definitely return!

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank persimone

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The Grand Hotel Moderne is a little bit of an Order of Malta (Federal) Dallas Chapter secret.
While Lourdes has more hotels in France with the exception of Paris,The Grand Hotel Moderne
has the best proximity to the Domaine of a 4 star.
The amenities are exemplary the restaurant,bar,and waitstaff beyond helpful.
For France,this hotel has great value.
A suite is the same price as a 3 star in Paris.
Side trips to Biarritz,San Sebastian,Loyola, Madiran etc were arranged by the hotel-effected by driver David (Gem)
Lourdes has been called a "Catholic Disneyland" and this hotel is about as good as it gets.

Karen & Huntly Chapman

Room Tip: 204-304-404-504 all suites with a view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank huntly C
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights while visiting the Lourdes sanctuary in May this year and it was very comfortable with great service. The staff are very prompt. It is a very conveniently situated and they do a great breakfast. I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is the most wonderful place to stay in Lourdes without hesitation. From the moment we entered the hotel the front desk staff was warm and welcoming and immediately offered to show me our room. They offered us a beautiful room with a view of the procession out of the balcony. The bathroom and room itself were immaculate. The beds were very comfortable and exceeded my expectations.

The wait staff in the restaurant were fantastic as well. So kind, polite and without fail accommodated our later arrival to breakfast each morning with the offer to bring us out eggs and bacon. Truly could not have asked for a more enjoyable stay on any level.

The staff knew us by name and room number immediately. They anticipated our needs and addressed them often before we even asked.

The hotel lends itself to both privacy as well as provides opportunities to meet other guests in its bar and dining room. The hotel lobby is a place to meet visitors who travel from far away to come to this special place. We met and joined in with a lovely group on an annual pilgrimage which was an unexpected blessing during our visit.

The location to the grotto is only steps away. The staff offered us an umbrella when it rained as well as complimentary candles for the nightly procession.

The owners have done a marvelous job renovating this hotel and hiring incredible staff.
Absolutely one of the most lovely hotels and best service we have ever experienced. This made a very special trip with my daughter who has been ill a blessing and gift beyond what I had hoped for during our stay.

Thank you Grand Hotel Moderne for living up to your name in every way possible!

Cindy and Grace Koeppl
Edina, Minnesota USA

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have just returned from our parish Pilgrimage 2014. My Group of 50 pilgrims stayed at this amazing Hotel, a real hidden jewel of Lourdes. The groups ages were from 15 weeks to mid eighties. The appointed rooms were all spotless, very, very comfortable. The fridge and safes in each room very welcome. The rooms were the most spacious I have ever encountered in Lourdes, and I have been visiting Lourdes annually since 1996!!!!
The staff are all extremely kind, helpful and courteous. Coping with many of the Groups food allergies very well. Being so close to the important sanctuaries meant the less abled and poorly people in the group were able to use their strength for visiting the important places i.e. the Grotto rather that a long walk to get there.
The Directors of the Hotel Joseph and Leana went out of their way to make us feel special, very valued and welcome. Thank you all from the dining staff, reception staff, chambermaids, chefs, all of you went above and beyond. Thank you so much. Looking forward already to visiting you in 2015. Please don't tell anyone about this secret jewel in case they are then full and cannot fit us in!!! Ha Ha. God bless you all.

Room Tip: All rooms have air conditioning hot/cold so all weathers are catered for. Beds are extremely comfort...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank bailliesusan
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Here with family in April. The hotel is historical place but not worth the money. We found it was really more expensive than others four stars and the breakfast was not good. Otherwise service is friendly and the room are clean. Maybe not really recommended for families but more for old couples.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Roberto I
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Was so incredibly happy with this hotel choice when I made my pilgrimage to Lourdes from 10/14-16. The staff is SUPER helpful, the food was delicious and my accommodations were the best that I heard about, when talking to other pilgrims and from what I saw when I visited pilgrims at a different hotel. You can't beat the location and the service. When I checked in, they gave me a brochure that had the info on the services that I needed...in English! Most pilgrims had to actually go to the info center at he shrine to get this info...not me! :) The hotel staff kept me well informed, called cabs when I needed and genuinely cared about my stay. When I go back--I will definitely stay there again!!!

• Stayed: October 2013