“Great Location but Could Use Some Updating”
Review of Hotel Continental

Hotel Continental
Ranked #8 of 185 Hotels in Lourdes
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Just stayed here on March 28, 2014. The hotel is situated a block a way from the Lourdes Sanctuaries, but it is an older hotel and could benefit from some updating. The floors of our room and bathroom creeked loudly whenever we walked. The TV wouldn't turn off. The floor of our room was not completely leveled near the window. It was off season so there weren't a lot of guests staying at the hotel, but we could people talking in other rooms and creeking in the hallway whenever someone walked by our room. The room above us was occupied so we heard creeking from above us too. We had a nice view from the room and the staff were very welcoming and friendly. Overall, the hotel is a good value. It also offers discounts to other shops and restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Continental

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We had a wonderful time staying at Hotel Continental for six (6) days. Although we came in from Paris a bit early than the check-in time, the staff were very friendly and accommodating and allowed us to check-in to our rooms so we can rest. I especially like Ms. Dominique who was at the reception. She really went out of her way to help us with our needs. Although the room we were given at the 1st Floor was small, its coziness compensated a lot for the size. The downside however, is the bed because it was not that comfortable. Also, the 8 Euro for the breakfast was a bit too much considering that our hotel in Paris also had the same cost for buffet breakfast with lots more choices. But all in all, it was really a most pleasant stay: the location was perfect (near restaurants, supermarkets, souvenir shops and most important of all, the Grotto and Basilica of Our Lady of Lourdes), and the hotel staff very friendly and helpful! When I do go back to Lourdes, I will definitely stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Anne D
Sophie L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Continental, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Anne,
Dominique is very proud to make your stay so unforgettable! She will be there all year around. We thank you sharing your experience with other travelers. Best regards. Sophie

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We, 2 friends traveling together, booked 2 single beds room and got room at 2nd floor.

Pros:
We were/are still grateful that this hotel still open on off pilgrimage season. It is so closed to everything we wanted to do: English Mass, The Grotto itself, Way of the cross, and even some souvenier shops. The beds are comfortable. Plus free wifi. We aren't big breakfast eaters. So, the breakfast menu was OK. Coffee and Hot Chocolate were the ones we looked for and they have it! :)

For our dinner, we went to the area where Market and Tourism Information are. Please be informed that most of the restaurants is closed on Monday evening. (at least at our time of visit). But not to worry, there is always McD. :)

Cons:
The window at the bathroom. They use white thin translucent films as cover. Not blinds, curtains, or shutters etc. Maybe this is a custom in France (maybe. i don't know), but it's just doesn't feel right to put this kind of window covering at the bathroom. We had the feelings that we're being watched when we were busy to do our private clean up.
We chose to take shower with the light off instead and the door open. It's in the winter time, even in the morning, it's still dark. .. btw the bathroom' door couldn't be closed either. We could ask for another room, but we didn't feel like to spend too much time only for this.

Maybe this is the reason of having a deal price? :)

Anyway, it was a nice hotel.
Thank you for your hospitality.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2014

There was great customer service offered by all staff of the hotel, especially the receptionists who greets me very well especially on arrival. I was allowed to book in early. The rooms were very warm and great heating from the radiators in the room and bathroom. The continental breakfast (all you can eat) was great value at €8. I would definitely stay here again without a doubt. One staff member stood out in particular and that was Dominique who was my first point of contact on my arrival the first day.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank arklowdutty
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Rooms were a little small, which is expected of European hotels, but staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good, and their chocolate vennoise (sp?) was great! There is a pool table as well as assorted games in the lounge area. Lounge area is neat, cosy and comfy. In fact, I spent more time in the lounge than in my room.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2013

This hotel is very clean and the staff are very welcoming and efficient. We only spent one night but will stay there again on my next trip. Even the gift shop is cheaper and has a good selection.
in walking distance of everything and the train station is not too far away.

Room Tip: overlooking the river
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank natty260
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I've stayed in this hotel beginning of May this year when I've visited Lourdes as part of a pilgrimage. The hotel is situated within short walking distance of the all important areas. The Grotto is a short walk away. There are restaurants and shops as soon as you get out of the door. The staffs are very courteous and speaks English. I loved it that the hotel has free WIFI which is always helpful when you want to keep abreast of what is going and to check up on your emails. They offer breakfast for a reasonable price every morning. The breakfast is pretty basic: coffee/latte, croissant, french toast, etc. The rooms are not bad at all. I was in a single room which can sleep 2 people comfortably. It was sufficient for my needs. I had a view of the church in front of the hotel and you can see the beautiful hill few km away.
You can arrange a cab to the nearby TGV train station or Tarbes airport with the front-desk.
The only thing I did not like: The water pressure in my room's shower was tad high. Eggs, bacon and sausage with the breakfast would be nice. Make sure you bring your own face towel. I think none of the other hotels have face towels either. The nearby hotels where the other pilgrims were staying did not have it either according to some I've talked to.
Otherwise, I will recommended this hotel and I don't mind staying on this hotel again next time I am back in Lourdes. On a side note, I hope the Grotto, the Domain, the area it's called will recover fully from the recent flooding which caused a lot of damage.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where you can see the Gave de Pau. The view there will probably be good and a quieter...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank LRandal
Sophie L, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Continental, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Guest,
You enjoy your stay with us and we thank you for sharing this experience with other travellers. You seem to have some trouble with the towels in the bathroom. We usually provide 2 towels/pers. so maybe one was missing. In this case, feel free to ask the reception, the staff will bring some more towels, in a very short time, of course this is free of charge. Despite that we hope you will keep a good souvenir of your visit. Sincerely yours.