“Our First Trip to Lourdes July 2012”
Review of Hotel La Solitude

Hotel La Solitude
Ranked #2 of 185 Hotels in Lourdes
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Being my first trip to Lourdes and as I was hospitalite staff on duty, I was very impressed with this hotel. Check-in was quick and easy and we were directed to our rooms by a member of staff. They reception and bar was lovely, though on a few of the nights there were problems with flies. The hotel staff did their best to get rid of them which was helpful but still quite disgusting. The room was lovely, we had two single beds and a bathroom which was cleaned daily and in good condition. We didn't have the best of views, nor a balcony much to our disappointment but we were out of the hotel a lot of the time due to our duties. It was however, very lovely when we could hear the processions and night time prayers from our room. The continental breakfast was a bit of a disappointment due to there not being much choice and quite bland. To say that hotels in Lourdes are quite expensive anyway, you would expect a bit more at breakfast. Do have to say the orange juice was lovely! Myself and my partner decided to skip breakfast due to being on duty. Furthermore, lunch and dinner was lovely. Cannot fault it. As we had some fussy eaters on our table, we were able to request other things to eat instead of what was on the menu. The location was perfect for us being on duty and being able to get to and from the St. Frai on time... All in all, it is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location and we had a fab time. Would definitley reccommend the hotel and a trip to Lourdes!!!!!!!

1  Thank Mellyy201092

Reviewed 17 August 2012

La solitude hotel is a good budget hotel which is near to the sanctuary and souvenir shops.
If you wish to explore Lourdes, walk across the bridge, up the hill to the tourist information centre. The people there are very friendly and helpful. Get Cathy, an English speaking tour guide for your walking tour. Unfortunately this is provided only on Thursdays. A visit to the local market nearby is worthwhile.

On the way uphill, on the left is a very good restaurant, Alexander, serving local cuisine. reservation is needed.

There are only 2 self service laundramats in Lourdes. The nearest to the hotel is behind the square where the tourist information bureau is.

Remember to visit the underground basilica. You'd be amazed by it.

Despite the heat and vast number of pilgrims, Lourdes still retains a serene atmosphere, a place of prayer and thanksgiving.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank tammiKualaLumpur
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We are a group of 65 to 75 pilgrims who travel to Lourdes each July for the past ten years, we have some ill pilgrims who we take with us and also some people in wheelchairs. We find the Solitude Hotel is idael for our needs, as the friendly and caring staff go out of their way to to help us in all our requests.We have tried different hotels in Lourdes but we found the Solitude to be the best for groups like ours. Francois and his staff are very professional and caring and go that bit further than most and make your stay very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Always ask Francois or Cecilia at the front desk what type of room you require and they will bend ov...
8  Thank Noel M
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Our Pilgrimage to Lourdes was made very pleasant by staying in Hotel Solitude.
Very friendly staff, very clean rooms, very good all round. lovely lobby to sit around with bar. I would recommend this hotel to pilgrims to Lourdes Ive been in a few different ones this is the best.
Very near Grotto for invalids.

Room Tip: "Rooms on the south side are quieter" "Corner suites are large and sunny" The...
4  Thank Eleanor D
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This was the first hotel we stayed in on our first trip to Lourdes and I must say I was really impressed! The foyer was really gorgeous, the bedroom (it was a two storey bedroom, bottom floor had a double bedroom with bathrooms and the top floor had two single beds and a bathroom, so plenty of room for two adults and two teenagers) wasn't particularly stylish however it was absolutely spotless with the most amazing view of the sanctuaries and the processions could be heard throughout the day from the room. I also slept like a log and not far from St. Michael's gate. The only downside was the breakfast which was a little bland, but that didn't bother me at all. We also decided to stay an extra and they booked us in with no quibbles or fuss, very professional!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Adriana T
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My stay in this hotel was wonderful and second to none.I would recommend to anyone wishing to know about this particular hotel.My room was comfortable,clean and everyday the cleaners came in to clean.Towels were replenished every day. The room that I stayed in was room 530 and had a wonderful view of the esplanade and when processions were taking place the view and the singing was wonderful. There is also a good view of the castle to the right of the window. I would recommend this room to anyone.

The staff were excellent and very helpful,pleasant,and nothing was too much trouble. They were most attentive,friendly and helpful in every way.

The food was also very good.Although everyday had a set menu,if there was something that you did not like or particularly did not want the staff would always try their hardest to produce something else,for you.

My special thanks go to all the staff that made my stay in La Solitude most pleasant,but most of all I have to praise Lillianna who served me my food everyday,and looked after me so well. She is always happy and smiling. Lillianna made sure that I had everything I needed,never forgetting anything. I had one of the best tables in the house which overlooked the river Gave and every day it was a pleasure to sit there.I really was made to feel very special indeed!

La Solitude is also very close to the basilica,shrine etc,so not far to walk if that should be a problem.

All in all this was a most pleasant and delightful stay in Lourdes made even better by the most excellent treatment from the staff of La Solitude

I will return to lourdes next year and without a doubt I shall be staying in La Soltude (hopefully the same room)

Kind regards to you all
Margaret Thomas

Room Tip: Rooms on th higher floors have less noise
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank Margaret T
Reviewed 16 July 2012

good location centrally located in-between the shops and restaurants 2 min walk to the sanctuary good clean rooms can sleep unto 5 people we had a room for 4 people but these rooms are 2 story 2 single beds down stairs with bathroom and double upstairs with bathroom then one room 3 single beds downstairs and double upstairs again 2 bathrooms . A little noisy if your facing the town centre which is opposite to the sanctuary

Room Tip: a good stay for a night or two bed and pillows ok not the best
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family