“Absolutely Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 185 Hotels in Lourdes
Piedmont, Italy
“Absolutely Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Seventh time in Lourdes at La Solitude. Very comfortable and close to the Sanctuary. Extremely useful the garage. Absolutely excellent in everything, Staff very friendly and helpful. Highly recommended. Thanks!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank JamesJou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was my first year travelling to Lourdes as part of a pilgrimage grouping and because of that fact, I did not know what to expect when it came to standards and stars of the local hotels surrounding the grotto. I was amazed at the quality of Solitude. The staff were very helpful with everyone in our group, the food was lovely, the rooms were spotless and were cleaned everyday for us. And the best part was the rooftop indoor pool with such beautiful scenery. I cannot wait for next year to go back to the same hotel. IGNORE the bad reviews. this place is amazing

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Catherine C
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband & I chose this hotel after seeing positive reviews on this site. We arrived by car to find a tiny, tiny road to enter into the garage and then searched for the elevators. Not very well marked for indications. After check-in we went to our room and found it so disappointing. It smelled of dust and mildew. It was small and outdated. Then we went down to dinner (we chose full pension). When we entered the dining room no one acknowledged us at all. We finally asked one of the waitstaff where we should sit. They told us to sit with our group. We said we were traveling alone and they took us to the back of the dining room. We did not have an option of what we could eat. They brought a big pot - yes the pot - full of watery squash soup and filled our bowls. It was terrible. When they told us the next course was fish, we informed them I was allergic to fish, so they finally decided we could have eggs. Terrible again! The couple sitting next to us was served their dessert and they frowned and so we decided to not wait around for that. After discussing the situation between my husband and myself, we decided to leave and try to find another hotel. When we told the front desk of our complaints they had to have a big discussion on what to do. They finally said we would be charged the 100euro deposit, plus 70 euros for the room (which we did not use!) and that we wouldn't have to pay the parking. Oh thanks a lot! I can't understand why this place got such a good review. Never again!

3 Thank Lillyput918
Sophie L, F. Compagnet - Directeur at Hotel La Solitude, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Madam,

I read with interest your review of your stay in our hotel. I'm surprised that the discription not match with what you described with us when you leave our hotel.

You have informed us that you book your stay with a travel agency.
This one gave you incorrect information about our property and services offered : size of bedrooms up to 25 m2, dining on buffet style,…
Your room, No. 335, had an area of 20 m2 and had a balcony overlooking the garden, as you where upgraded on a balcony room. You complain about the size of your room and the front desk staff propose to you to visit other rooms to made your choice, but you didn’t accept. You was expecting a buffet style, they offer you to changer your fullboard meal plan for Bed & Breakfast to leave you the opportunity to choose your restaurants.

You specified when you leave that the hotel was very nice but it does not meet your expectations and that you had been badly advised by your travel agent.

I sincerely regret that the wrong information about our services who have been notified to you and that they have altered your choice.

Best regards

Mr Francois COMPAGNET - Directeur
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

It was our first visit to Lourdes and La Solitude and it's staff made it even more special. The staff were exceptional and could not do enough to help us. The choice of dining options inside and around the hotel made it easy for meals and the distance from there to the Sanctuaries meant we could walk down at any time of day, and I found the whole experience calming, serene and something I will cherish.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Samantha W
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed in the Solitude again this year as part of the Limerick pilgrimage.Again my stay was of the usual high standard and the Hotel was looking excellent especially after last years flooding.The food was of the highest quality and the staff were very helpful and friendly.The hotel is ideally located and within walking distance of the grotto.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Fergal D
tipperary
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Myself and my husband stayed in Hotel la Solitude from the 16th to the 21st of June 2014 we were part of the Cashel and Emly Pilgrimage. This was our first time in Lourdes and we hope to return. The hotel is ideally situated close to the Basilica, Grotto and Sanctuary with stunning views of the river Gave. Pyrenees mountains and the Chateau Fort and Museum. The sound of the river can be loud but I found it quite soothing. We had a twin room on the second floor which was a bit strange considering we are a couple but as it was quite busy we didn't look for a change. The room was very clean and we had a gorgeous view of the mountains and river and we could look down on the terrace. On the seventh floor is a pool and a terrace which has amazing views we spent some time there just relaxing and admiring the views and took some fabulous photos. The reception area of the hotel is lovely plenty of seats and a lovely little gift shop the 10% discount we got on checking in was a lovely bonus. Allow a little extra time when using the lifts as they tend to be a bit slow and are quite small. We had full board and the breakfast was fine cereals and porridge, juices, fresh fruit, yoghurts, hard boiled eggs, ham and cheese selection, bread and pastries, tea and coffee no menu selection on table (as stated by manager) for the option of a fry nor was the table set for the option of having a cooked breakfast. Lunch was three courses either self service buffet style or waiter service and dinner was four courses. Sad to say it was hit and miss with the lunch and dinner would have preferred to have had a choice instead it was just plonked down "eat it or leave it" very spacious restaurant but no attention to detail and a severe lack of fresh produce it seemed to me like a case of there's so many people just put it on a plate and get it out. One of our waitresses hadn't a word of English (very strange considering the amount of tourists they have) and if we asked for something different to what was being served despite the lack of English she made it quite clear that she wasn't happy and made us feel as if we should eat was what given how dare we not like it and look for something else. Also we didn't know that where we sat on the first night for dinner was where we should have sat for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the remainder of our stay this was only said to us on our last night! The bar is very spacious and clean and a great night was had by all on the Friday night an Irish sing song, dancing and shenanigans we even had Italians, Spanish and French join us! The Solitude is a lovely hotel relaxing, comfortable, clean, charming, great ambience, lovely staff and so close to everything. Thanks for a wonderful few days and hope to be back soon would love a small change to the lunch and dinner but otherwise wouldn't and couldn't change a thing.

3 Thank ddqueen
Sophie L, Mr Francois COMPAGNET - Directeur at Hotel La Solitude, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Madam,

I Thank you for your recent stay in our hotel and I am sensitive to your comments who allow me to improve the mentioned points.

It is true that until now, the breakfast menu selection was not placed on the table for the groups. I will consider your comment and we will put the menu selection on the buffet, so that it will be well signposted.

We provide, upon request, an alternative to the menu of the day if a dish doesn’t pleased you. I regret that the language barrier was a problem with your waitress and above that, the fact she did not request assistance to satisfy you during your meals.

I’m delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay in our Hotel with all our facilities.

I look forward welcoming you for your next stay in Lourdes,

Best regards

Mr Francois COMPAGNET - Directeur
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

What a great surprise this hotel was. We had spotted it at our last visit and thought that it would have good views. We were not disappointed at all. The person who greeted us was very helpful and friendly and we were very pleased that although we had arrived early the room was already waiting for us. When we opened the door we realised that we had been given a twin room instead of a double. We were a bit hesitant to query it as we had the most wonderful view and didn't really want to be moved to another room and lose the view. We were told not to worry and they would bring a double bed to the room! Excellent service. We were on the seventh floor, directly below the pool and the view from the balcony was amazing. The fort and weir to the left, the river below and the snow capped mountains in the distance. The Poor Clares' monastery is just across the river and I loved to hear the bells for prayer ringing. The weir is audible but I found the sound soothing. As far as location goes it is perfect; just a couple of minutes walk to the sanctuary. There is a nice little terrace on the ground floor overlooking the river too. We didn't use the pool but the terrace which surrounds it has excellent views.The bar serves Guinness (hooray!) and everything was perfect. I have stayed in more modern hotels, but this is by far my favourite. It is comfortable, spotlessly clean, the ambience is relaxing and the staff were all charming. I would definitely stay here again, we had a great time. Thank you so much!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a river view and balcony. It's well worth the upgrade.