“Disgraceful exploitation of raptors - AVOID!”
Review of Rocher des Aigles

Rocher des Aigles
Ranked #3 of 18 things to do in Rocamadour
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Disgraceful exploitation of raptors - AVOID!”
Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

This centre claims to be a centre for bird of prey conservation - it is nothing more than a money making tourist attraction.

As a bird of prey enthusiast & conservationist of 20 years experience I was looking forward to visiting this centre during a holiday to France but was appalled at my experience.

To the untrained eye the displays are entertaining and there is no doubt that it is wonderful to see Griffon Vultures flying free over the gorge. The rhetoric of the presenters assured the large crowd that this was a centre for conservation.

However, look at little closer and you will see the birds are in poor condition and worked hard. The Lanner was possibly the slowest falcon I have ever seen and when the bird was mobbed by a black kite and fell into the trees on the cliff edge with long jesses trailing it was ignored, with no noticable response from anyone.

I was also appalled to see one of the falconers lifting vultures up by their necks to get them up to perches - is this acceptable practice?

To cap it all off, they were paranoid about video cameras and after being constantly watched by what felt like the 'secret police' I was approached twice while I tried to film some of the birds, and then told I could not film the owl display. As an enthusiast, this left me disappointed but also highly intimidated. A very unpleasant experience.

AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!!!!

Visited June 2013
11 Thank Ian M

SouthShields
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Les rapaces & parrots”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Good show, the falconers show you the birds close up and talk to you 1 on 1. Easy to get to well signed. Good facilities nearby.

Visited June 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“A pleasant way to spend an afternoon”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I have to confess this isn't something I like to do as I hate to see birds in cages but my husband was keen so we went. It was in fact a pleasant afternoon and the birds seemed incredibly happy and well cared for. There are a range of owls, vultures, eagles, parrots and other birds of prey. We were there for the 4pm show which was very well done. Unfortunately for us our French is not that good and the whole show is in French but they give you a guide in English so you have some idea what is going on. The parrots flying is an amazing splash of colour and my favourite part of the show. Unusually for this sort of attraction (in the UK anyway), they allowed the dog in which is so much better than having to leave her in the car.

Visited May 2013
MILTON KEYNES
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Extensive and varied bird show”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

The patron was clearly strongly involved in conservation. We saw displays of vultures, eagles, various hawks and parrots plus a separate owl show at the end of the afternoon. The shows were in French and he talked a lot, but I don't think it is right to deduct any marks for this as it is after all in France! They provided an excellent English guide book to explain the main points of the show and the characteristics of the birds.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Chris50259
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Best birdshow ever”
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I've seen quite a lot of birdshows in Europe and the USA but this one is definitely the best one I know. It's educational and entertaining and even interactive as they bring you in very close contact with the birds.

Visited September 2012