“Why is this chain not better known”

Residhome Privilege Toulouse Occitania
Ranked #21 of 130 Hotels in Toulouse
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had doubts about booking this apparthotel because I had never heard of them. I am glad that I did. We had a one bed appartment with a well equipped kitchenette and it also had a dishwasher. The rooms were exceptionally clean and the beds very comfortable. Nie touch to be given free slippers and good quality toiletries. We had a view over the racecourse and the planes landing at the nearby airport looked as though they were coming into the room, but the insulation was so good that they did not bother us. Likewise with the tram and railway right outside, very convenient to get around the city. Although no restaurant on site you could order a food box and there are a few restaurants and takeaways nearby, but the walk down the road, might prove a bit daunting at night, because you pass through a doubtful area of Toulouse. You can always call on one of the many takeaways that deliver to the hotel. I saw a comment about cleaning and having to take your own rubbish to the bins, well this seems to me to be normal for apparthotels and is no big deal. But they do clean at the end of you stay. Highly recommended and we will look for this chain next time we are away

Room Tip: Ask for the racecourse side
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank scotinfrance

Reviewed 15 February 2014

This is an apartment-style hotel. I was unaware that they don't make the bed, change the towels, replace the soap, etc. after you arrive. I was also unaware there would be a sign in my room telling me that I needed to carry my trash outdoors myself.

About driving:
I chose this hotel because I planned to drive a rental car every day to a location on the south-east side of the city where there are few hotels, and I wanted a location near major streets, with free parking. For this purpose, this hotel is adequate. They do have the free outdoor parking, which seemed to be completely full by the time I got up at 7 AM. Not sure what you do if the parking is full. If you're an American like me, be sure to rent a tiny car, because you'll have a very hard time parking it otherwise; GPS navigation helps a lot, too.

There's not much of interest within walking distance. Five minutes to a bakery, ten minutes to a pharmacy, fifteen minutes to a big Carrefour supermarket with a McDonalds. Not much in the way of restaurants within a fifteen minute walk. Parking is so difficult to find everywhere that I was not tempted to drive somewhere to eat. So I ate supermarket food in the hotel room.

Two room sizes:
I stayed in the smaller size room, an efficiency, which has a bed and desk in one room, a bathroom, and the tiniest kitchen in between. For a week-long stay for one person, this is adequate. The lights in the room are adequate.

The free wifi:
It is good enough. Occasionally in the evening it was too slow, but for the most part it was good enough -- I even watched a TV show on the internet that way.

The lobby is tiny. It would not be inviting to sit there, if you want to get out of your room.

The hotel is located very near the approach course to the airport. From my window, while resting on the bed (there's nowhere else to be, unless you sit at the desk) I saw planes arriving every few minutes. They were not too noisy because they were landing, not taking off -- I'm not sure if it is always so.

A gotcha to watch out for:
If you reserve through booking.com, you will be offered a totally erroneous choice of a sofabed as part of the smaller "efficiency" size room. There might be a sofabed in the bigger "suite" rooms, but not in the efficiency - this was very misleading, but the error was probably due to booking.com and not the hotel, so I didn't reduce my rating for this.

The kitchen:
There is a 2-foot tall refrigerator (which is big enough) and a similar size dishwasher machine. There are plates, knives, forks, etc. that you have to wash. They provide a tiny supply of dishwashing liquid and a single disposable cloth for washing dishes.

The breakfast:
10.50 euros for an optional breakfast with bread, cereal, yogurt, fruit, and raw eggs that you can dunk in their open pot of boiling water. The front desk will allow you to choose one day at a time whether to take this breakfast, but they discourage this -- which is a little annoying that they put their a convenience for staff above the genuine interests of a guest. Otherwise the front desk was ok.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank John G
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Super option for a family. Great apartment with separate bedroom. Useful wifi. Onsite secure parking. Right next to the tram. Swimming pool too to cool off. Very helpful Spanish English speaking lady at reception. Great to not have to drive into Toulouse but stay on the edge. We had a great day out.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank loulouleeds
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Perfect for a short break. Good facilities in room, close to supermarket, tram, restaurants and city centre. The staff were ok but we received poor advice on local restaurants which were all closed when we arrived at them. All in all I would recommend here for a family stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dunnangallIreland
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We loved this style of 'hotel' and stayed for 3 nights (£190 total in July). The kids had their own space and we had a separate bedroom. The cooking space was a bonus especially the dishwasher! There was a Carrefour 10mins walk so anything that could be cooked on a ring or in a microwave is easy to get. There was a lovely patisserie across the road for fresh pain au chocolat for breakfast!
There was also a small supermarket beside the patisserie which was handy for drinks and snacks.
To get into Toulouse we chose to walk 10mins to the underground metro and go four stops right to the Place du Capitole - a return journey for a family of four cost 6euros. There was also a bus stop outside the hotel and a tram stop across the road although the tram heads towards the airport.
Car parking is free in the hotels outside car park but paying for the underground car park. We never had a problem getting a free space. At night it was an easy drive into the city and we would recommend the Japanese gardens for a nice walk and great park for the kids - there is a car park beside it.
The pool was a nice touch at the end of a hot summer's day.
Breakfast was available for 10 euros but the pain au chocolat from the patisserie were so nice we did not bother.
As a family we would look for a Residhome again as our first choice!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2013

+ve:
Very new room which has a very nice kitchenette and bathroom, new large flat screen TV.
Big window which opens right up.
Very friendly staff at reception - the lady who checked us in spoke French, English & Spanish fluently.
Plenty of easy access parking.

-ve:
Bed is a sofa bed, surprisingly comfortable given so, but still not as comfortable as a normal bed. Pillows were lumpy so we used our own.
Central heating wasn't working at all - a cheap electric plug-in heater was in our room, which constantly turned on & off with an accompanying electrical circuit on/off noise and spark light (so we turned it off when we went to sleep!).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Stayed here in late March 2013, part of a boys high school rugby tour group.

The staff worked well with us to get us into our rooms quickly, and they made rapid adjustments to room assignments. They stressed to us to be quiet in the hotel, as if we didn't already know to be polite...

Breakfast is nice, but there isn't that much to choose from. The dining room is small and depending on occupancy, you may have to wait for a table.

The corridors have automatic lighting, so don't be surprised to exit the elevator or your room into an almost pitch-black hallway. The lights come on quickly enough, after maybe 2-4 steps.

The hotel is in a visual awkward and not so pleasing location, smack on a 4-way roundabout. It is very close to a tram stop, which connects with the metro all of one stop away, allowing you to get downtown very quickly. The hotel is relatively close to the airport, which is good for travel, but there's a lot of aircraft traffic very low over the hotel. It's an easy walk down Ave de Lombez toward the center of the city, with numerous restaurants, a Carrefour store and a McDonalds within a five-minute walk.

The rooms are well appointed, with a lot of live-in amenities you don't have in a regular hotel room. There is a small kitchenette with supplies, and there are self-cleaning supplies in the bathroom as well, such as a mop. There is a TV, with modest channel selection, in each room.

Street noise can be noticed, even with the window closed, and is really loud with the window open. The opposite side of the hotel looks down onto the pool, and the railroad tracks, too, which also offer their own level of periodic noise.

This was not a bad place to stay, but if returning to Toulouse, I think I will go with something close in (albeit more expensive).

Room Tip: To avoid street noise, ask for a room on the backside, overlooking the carpark.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends