Grand Hotel de l'Opera
US$117
Mercure
  • Room Service
Ibis Toulouse Centre(Toulouse)(Great Value!)
US$74
US$107
US$96
Travelocity
  • Room Service
All reviewsred velvetthe main squaregreat locationplace du capitolecharming hotelspiral staircasemodern amenitiesexcellent breakfasthotel breakfastwould definitely stay here againstayed one nightcentral locationthe heart of the citycomfortable roomcroissantswithin easy walking distanceopera
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Stayed here for just one night. on check in they gave us an upgrade to a suite as we had a young infant and they figured we could use the space.

our room was oddly but lushly decorated in red....not to everyones taste but it worked somehow!

the hotel is in a brilliant location. the breakfast was good without being amazing.

overall i couldnt praise the staff highly enough - they were very helpful

would recommend this hotel without any reservations (erm, no pun intended).

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 October 2010

The hotel is located on the Place du Capitole, Toulouse’s central square, at the heart of the city, and where you want to be. Oddly, for a well established old hotel the staff seems curiously amateurish. We had a confirmation in hand but they had no record of it. As compensation, we were given an upgrade into an elegant large room. Overall, it is a fine old establishment at a prime location, though its lobby could use some renovating and the staff could use a bit more professional polish.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I recently stayed one night at the Grand Hotel De L'Opera on the tale end of a 2 week trip in South West France. It was the perfect ending. I wanted something that was charming, luxurious, old world (but with up to date amenities) in a great location and I was delighted with my choice. The hotel overlooks the gorgeous main square in the heart of the old center of town and is accessible from a charming driveway and courtyard off the square. Many of the rooms overlook the plaza some even with balconies. Mine overlooked the courtyard, which was very pleasant as well, and provided total peace and quiet for a blissful night's sleep. The room was HUGE even by American standards. The room was very beautifully appointed, lux carpeting, linens, nice art, marble bathroom, with robes/slippers, comfortable Queen size bed, large sitting area with 2 wing back chairs and desk - all done in a rich library-like decor. I felt like I was the guest in a lovely French manor. The room was #116 at the top of the first floor stairs and across from the elevator. I was worried it might be noisy, but, that was certainly NOT an issue. The room had a double door entrance - from the hall, you enter in a small private ante room and then the bedroom area was accessible off it through another door. Very private feeling.

The hotel staff were exceptionally helpful and wonderful. I arrived at 11am before check in time and Karine at the front desk (who spoke fluent English) kindly checked me in and offered to store my bags until the room was ready. I asked for driving directions from the hotel to the airport since I needed to drop my traveling companion. The centre ville section of Toulouse can be a very confusing labyrinth for driving since many streets are one way, pedestrian only or under construction. It's very easy to get lost and circle for hours as happened to another travel friend. Karine gave me meticulous driving directions on her map that were absolutely a life saver. She even told me how to catch the shuttle back from the airport since I was returning the rental car and her instructions were flawless. When I arrived back at the hotel in the late afternoon I was escorted to my lovely room with my bags already placed inside. Very nice.

Their helpfulness didn't end there. The hotel has a computer and printer available to guests but I wasn't able to successfully print my train ticket so Danelle at the front desk was very willing to let me email it to her and have her print it. They were so accommodating to all my requests. In reality, I received better service here at this hotel than any 4 star Ive stayed at in the U.S.

The hotel has 2 restaurants - a brasserie and a more formal restaurant. Both had great looking menus and very lovely ambience. I can't comment on the food as I didn't eat at the restaurants but I did have the hotel breakfast in a sweet breakfast room which offered a nice buffet.

If I am back in Toulouse I will most certainly stay at this hotel and I recommend it highly to anyone else looking for a lovely experience. l I booked a standard room on hotels.com and I got a great rate (150 euro/night). I don't know if I received an upgraded room given that the hotel was not very booked in late August.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 June 2010

We chose this hotel for its location and we were not disappointed: it is in the Place du Capitole which is the centre of Toulouse.

We were upgraded to junior suites which were bizarrely furnished in bright crimson (all the walls), but the rooms were very spacious and the rooms extremely comfortable. The staff were friendly and very helpful with parking, restaurants and general advice on what to do and where to go.

This isn’t a five star experience, but it’s a comfortable, well located hotel which is entirely suitable for travellers for a couple of days. My only criticism: no espresso coffee at breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2010

I would not have bothered to write to Trip Advisor about the poor breakfast service, mould on the fruit and grey four day old fruit salad. However, a complete nightmare with their poorly designed Wifi system. The sign up which if you could get it working (after paying 12 euros and 16 didgits login and password, email address, and full name every few minutes) managed to deposit a virus on my computer that refused to remove the website sound. I spent five hours of my day trying to get rid of it. One bellman although apologetic, suggested I just turn off the sound on my computer. Eventually late in the night, Stephan and Christian two bellman sorted it out, as they had seen this issue before. Both very professional in a tough situation, but what a waste of my holiday!

Not a bad location/decoration, lazy breakfast staff.

If you do stay don't use the internet and eat breakfast somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple