“Badly located, expensive, and horrible personnel”

Hotel le Clocher de Rodez
Ranked #57 of 130 Hotels in Toulouse
Ottawa, Canada
“Badly located, expensive, and horrible personnel”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I arrived in the hotel at 3.30 pm, with my wife and kid. We were supposed to have the room at 2.00 pm, but gave them extra time just in case. The room was NOT ready until 4 PM. We needed a restroom, and somewhere to leave our bags (and valuables; the area around the hotel looks horrible and looks dangerous; we did not want to carry our valuables with us, or leave them in a general area in the hotel). At 4 PM I asked for my room to leave my stuff, and for a bathroom. The room was still not ready. The excuse: "We have 44 rooms, so, sometimes, we cannoI arrived in the hotel at 3.30 pm, with my wife and kid. We were supposed to have the room at 2.00 pm, but gave them extra time just in case. The room was NOT ready until 4 PM. We needed a restroom, and somewhere to leave our bags (and valuables; the area around the hotel looks horrible and looks dangerous; we did not want to carry our valuables with us, or leave them in a general area in the hotel). At 4 PM I asked for my room to leave my stuff, and for a bathroom. The room was still not ready. The excuse: "We have 44 rooms, so, sometimes, we cannot meet the deadline of 2 PM" (SO, WHY DO YOU TELL ME TO GO AT 2 PM!?). I asked for a different room and there was none available. I ASKED FOR A RESTROOM and they did not show me one. The restroom in my room was being cleaned... Eventually, the lady understood I needed a restroom (I speak French fluently... it's not a language issue) and I went to the filthiest public bathroom in a hotel ever. Of course, they were prompt to charge for a full day of lodging... even though the day has 24 hours and there were 4 hours when my room was not available and I could not do anything about it (I would have gone somewhere else to wait if I should have known). Unacceptable.I arrived in the hotel at 3.30 pm, with my wife and kid. We were supposed to have the room at 2.00 pm, but gave them extra time just in case. The room was NOT ready until 4 PM. We needed a restroom, and somewhere to leave our bags (and valuables; the area around the hotel looks horrible and looks dangerous; we did not want to carry our valuables with us, or leave them in a general area in the hotel). At 4 PM I asked for my room to leave my stuff, and for a bathroom. The room was still not ready. The excuse: "We have 44 rooms, so, sometimes, we cannot meet the deadline of 2 PM" (SO, WHY DO YOU TELL ME TO GO AT 2 PM!?). I asked for a different room and there was none available. I ASKED FOR A RESTROOM and they did not show me one. The restroom in my room was being cleaned... Eventually, the lady understood I needed a restroom (I speak French fluently... it's not a language issue) and I went to the filthiest public bathroom in a hotel ever. Of course, they were prompt to charge for a full day of lodging... even though the day has 24 hours and there were 4 hours when my room was not available and I could not do anything about it (I would have gone somewhere else to wait if I should have known). Unacceptable.t meet the deadline of 2 PM" (SO, WHY DO YOU TELL ME TO GO AT 2 PM!?). I asked for a different room and there was none available. I ASKED FOR A RESTROOM and they did not show me one. The restroom in my room was being cleaned... Eventually, the lady understood I needed a restroom (I speak French fluently... it's not a language issue) and I went to the filthiest public bathroom in a hotel ever. Of course, they were prompt to charge for a full day of lodging... even though the day has 24 hours and there were 4 hours when my room was not available and I could not do anything about it (I would have gone somewhere else to wait if I should have known). Unacceptable.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank GTAOttawa_Canada

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed 24 July 2012

(I've uploaded a picture, since this description may be hard to believe! We stayed July 11, 2012.)

Our room faced an interior courtyard where our only view was dirty, peeling walls with exposed nails and wires...obviously this area has not been painted (or even cleaned) in years! The room also reeked of smoke, even though we were promised a "non-smoking" environment. To even GET to the room, we had to go up a tiny lift (one person with luggage at a time), then out a door into the courtyard before heading back inside to our room. The room was small, as we could barely open the bathroom door without hitting the bed. Luckily we were passing through Toulouse and only stayed one night.

If you are traveling by car, be sure to factor an extra 11 Euro into the room cost...this is what the hotel charged us (not the 10 Euro in the description) for using the parking garage across the street.

We spent over two weeks in France and had nice experiences at several hotels. This was not one of them.

Room Tip: On a positive side note, St. Sernin Basilica is absolutely stunning and only a few blocks away!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bryant H
jeanne14, Owner at Hotel le Clocher de Rodez, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
We have a hotel in the very center of Toulouse, we are surrounded by buildings, unfortunately we cannot paint the building of the neighbors.
All our rooms are non-smoking rooms, if your room smelt smoke, the customer before you didn’t respect the hotel rules… We are very sorry about this, but you could have call the reception to get an other room.
The price of parking is not our choice, the parking is not owned by the hotel, it is a public parking, we just propose to pay in advance for our customers.

Travellers are raving about these Toulouse hotels

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2012 via mobile

The staff of this hotel were so kind. Even before I was a guest, they helped me with something. They really show the spirit of Toulouse hospitality. The location is also great. Right by a metro stop (although I walked everywhere) and about 15 minutes walk to the train station. Will definitely try to stay there on my next visit.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank bosphorus104
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Hotel is in a very convenient location. Easily walk to train and main square.

We were very happy and will come back again. There is a chinese restaurant around the corner of the hotel ( on a street leads to the train station) that was really nice that one try.

• Stayed March 2012
Brussels
Reviewed 10 April 2012

The Quality hotel is an old 3* typical French hotel in a great location just 10 minutes walk into the very centre of Toulouse Place Capitole. Parking is difficult in town so the hotel's arrangement with the Jeanne D'Arc underground car park right opposite at 10 EUR per day is a very good deal but ask reception for a special ticket before you park the vehicle. The journey into town from the airport takes only around 15 minutes.

My Executive room was quite small so standard rooms will be even smaller. Clean and fairly well equipped room, nothing special but ideal for a couple of nights stay. Staff are friendly and helpful. With a bus station right opposite, the hotel is not situated in the best of areas, but there are great bars and restaurants only 5 minutes away in Place Wilson.

On a price/quality ratio I really rate this hotel and would willingly stay there again next time I am in Toulouse.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PGRBrussels
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 17 February 2012

This hotel is in front of the local bus station, in the Place Jeanne d'Arc. The noise was not a problem, but the friendness of personnel was not good. For instance, we were travelling by car, and you should move your car everyday to get hotel agreed price. But they do not advice you. The coffee room (cannot be called breakfast room) was just fair. Waitress were more interested on news rather than attending to guests. Rooms heating system was difficult to establish, so the room was always cold.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jator-C
Caen, France
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Stayed in 206. Room not very big but spotless. Extremely comfortable bed. Bath. Separate toilet. Kettle for coffee / tea. Double window looks out on bus station. Hardly any street noise.
Staff helpful.
Only comments: no noticeable extractor fan in toilet and room far too hot on arrival.

• Stayed December 2011