“Lovely painted and sculpted ceiling”

Chapelle des Carmelites
Ranked #25 of 155 things to do in Toulouse
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We walked past here by chance as our guide book did not mention it. However, I was very pleased I'd popped in. The frescoes and sculpted ceiling in this otherwise empty church are, I think, eighteenth century but very attractive. It is very near the main Basilique St Sernin and offers a completely different experience. I think it is well worth seeing. An image is here: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Toulouse_-_Chapelle_des_Carm%C3%A9lites_-_3.jpg

Reviewed 31 July 2013

The Chapelle des Carmelites is all that remains of a convent destroyed after the French Revolution. The ceiling and walls are beautifully decorated with period art. The best view is of the ceiling. To take it in fully, if nobody is looking, lay down in the middle of the floor, look up, and take it all in. You won't be arrested and probably won't even be asked to stand up. Most of the time, it doesn't get a lot of traffic. Much of the traffic is to use the rare public restroom available in the courtyard before you enter the chapel. Note that, it is not a functioning chapel, and does not resemble one either.

2  Thank NoPegasus
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We really did not like this place at all.
it is dreary and dark . I saw no joy or pleasure here and found ourselves speculating about living in a Carmelite order.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

i visited on my own with some french friends who made everything easy, so I enjoyed this review of the past in a city which I liked a lot and who maintains very much the spirit of the old France and of the South .... Don´t miss it!

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Beutiful paintings cover the ceiling and walls of this remaining part of a 17th century Carmelite convent. Highly recommended.

1  Thank rizuj