“An Oasis of Oeace in a Busy City”

Cathedrale St-Etienne
Ranked #15 of 155 things to do in Toulouse
Reviewed 13 June 2014

If you are visiting Toulouse make the time to visit this beautiful Cathedral just a short walk away from the busy François Verdier metro stop and served by many of the excellent bus services in the Greater Toulouse Area run by Tisséo. I timed it beautifully as there was no service in progress so I could visit the various side chapels, (see photos attached). The serenity of this beautiful church, only a few metres from the busy streets, was so calming and I was fortunate that the Organist was playing some of his repertoire in an informal recital with the music blending beautifully with the ambience of the architecture which as a Freemason had special significance for my and as a Christian I was comforted to be in the House of God. I was reminded of the line from the Hymn "Dear lord and Father of Mankind"... "O still, small voice of calm" . In only had the camera with my mobile phone so the pictures were not up to the standard of my DSLR which I will take with me when I visit the Cathedral again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The cathedral of Toulouse is not the most impressive church in the city. (I'd recommend the Basilica of St Sernin and the Couvent des Jacobins much more highly.) It was started and then restarted on a different axis - I think that they intended to demolish what had previously been built. The exterior result is startling from the front and the interior is unsettling as the heights and axes of the two parts do not match or blend. If you are nearby it is worth seeing, but don't miss more interesting churches for it.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

When we visited there was a funeral going on inside so we missed out on seeing it. We did however still enjoy admiring the building from the outside.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The centre of religious activity for the region as well as the City - the cathedral is a truly impressive building, reflecting the different architectural styles of its benefactors over the centuries.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stumbled on this cathedral and was a challenge to work out its varied styles. Looks a bit hotch-potch but reading about it, in English, helped to appreciate it. Lots of clever carving and unusual organ placement. It's not pretty or grand like most cathedrals but interesting if you are in the vicinity.