“Good for the basics”

Arnaud Bernard Hotel
Ranked #69 of 130 Hotels in Toulouse
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Arnaud Bernard hotel is one of those privately owned, European almost motel-style hotels where everything you need is taken care of, even if it is nothing fancy or super-comfortable. The place was clean enough, but most of the furniture and blankets were old (do not expect a luscious duvet or a super fresh smell -- the plain, flat blankets were old with a single stain but did the job). For the price it was a good deal and it is in a nice location right in the center. The wifi worked and I had a decent sleep. I asked for a "quiet room" and did not hear the noise of the main square where it is located at all throughout out the night. Overall it was decent.

Room Tip: ask for a "chambre tranquille" if you want a good sleep ;-)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Arnaud Bernard Hotel

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Let's be honest; the Arnaud Bernard Hotel is a few streets away from the core 'tourist' part of Toulouse, but this didn't detract from a most enjoyable stay. As the other reviews have mentioned, it's on a square which does contain a few bars that can be noisy at night, but we didn't have any trouble from the drinkers, with some students chatting to us; nothing like an English bar late at night! However, if you need a quiet spot to sleep this may not be the place for you.

Having said that the room was very well decorated with traditional French-style furniture and a well-appointed bathroom; the traveller pictures from a previous review must have been taken before being refurbished as the reception and bedroom were all very well presented. The bedroom had air conditioning so closing the window at night was no problem. The receptionist was always friendly and helpful.

Being about 15 minutes walk from the station, and 5-10 minutes from the main city square, I thought the Arnaud Bernard Hotel was ideal; definitely something a bit different, and much better to have a bit of character than staying in a bland chain hotel. I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2014

If you want a really odd place to stay, then this is the one. Every need you could think of is taken care of! Although I really really wanted some acid so I could watch my freaky-amazing ceiling move. The charm and character of the place is wonderful and the family that take care of the place are fun. English is spoken a little. They are wonderfully polite even with the language barrier. Thanks for the amazing stay guys!

Room Tip: No elevator in the hotel. Really charming staircase, though!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My room was prettily furnished with antiques and had a lovely wooden floor. I was attending a conference and it was within short walking distance of the convention centre. Breakfast served fresh croissants and good coffee but also home made yoghurt which was superb. There is a little open courtyard in the centre. BUT the gorgeous square in front of the hotel which my room overlooked became a seriously rowdy drinking den at night. My first night was sleepless, then next day I discovered I did have quadruple glazing and aircon and it was much better after that, but I would seriously recommend taking a room at the back but have no idea what that view is like.

Room Tip: Take one at the back if you like peace and quiet
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 August 2012

The hotel is fine, clean and renovated. The staff were great and the room was air conditioned. The room looked into a central courtyard that acted a chimley for the cigarette smokers below
It is also centraly located, However its not the place for the faint hearted. Drunks and vagrents are in the sourounding streets and the pleasent courtyard out the front of the hotel was a pile of broken beer bottles the folowing morning.
We sat waiting for our cloths to wash at the laundramat, and were entertained by watching the drug deal occuring in the street.
Not for me,

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Grumpy_Old_Traveler
Reviewed 10 May 2012

A day before we were supposed to arrive in Toulouse, I received an e-mail stating that the reservation that I had made EIGHT months earlier would not be honoured as they had to take the room out of service. Obviously these things happen as they did a few days later in London...where we were walked (physically) to a hotel 2 mins away from the first, upgraded, and given two free breakfasts. Arnaud Bernaud sent an e-mail moving us to a hotel on the outskirts of Toulouse, a metro and tramride away from downtown. The hotel they put us in was about the quality of the French university residence I lived in 20 years ago...mold in the bathroom, doors falling off...
The reaction of Arnaud Bernaud to my complaints were "we tried to phone" (my phone was in CANADA duh!) and we would have told you how to get to the hotel if you had called. No taking of responsiblity, no offer of any kind of reimbursement. What a horrible experience!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bsallee
Reviewed 19 November 2010

I used the hotel for one night between travelling around with a hire car, dropped off late afternoon on one day and my early flight home the next day.
Hotel is very central (in a slightly run down area full of students but don't be put off) there was a safe underground car park very close by and an excellent bus service to the airport within easy walking distance - a couple of streets away. Some good restaurants also within easy walking distance.
The room was good with air conditioning, plenty of space and a nice bathroom. I slept well despite a fair amount of noise in the square outside my room from the bars and late night drinkers who had spilled out onto the street in the heat.
I did not take breakfast as I left very early in the morning.
Overall I was quite happy, the only slight downside was carrying the case upstairs.
Better value than some of the other hotels I had stayed in that week whilst travelling in Provence.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo