“great hotel”
Review of Hotel Riquet

Hotel Riquet
Ranked #64 of 130 Hotels in Toulouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Vieillevie, France
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Reasonably priced hotel in a good location close to the canal and the historic centre of Toulouse. It's back street location is ideal for a quite nights' sleep. Street parking is nearby but if you have a space early on Saturday night try not to relinquish it; we came back to the hotel later in the evening and travelled many kilometers to find a parking space within walking distance to the hotel. The only downside to the hotel was one of maintenance issues; the first room we checked into had faulty plugs in the bath and washbasin and a very loose toilet seat. We checked into another room for our second night and had no airconditioning. The desk manager was very helpful when changing rooms and couldn't be faulted in the service he provided, it's just a shame that inadequate room maintenance let him down.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Houston TX USA
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Although the bathroom was small and needed updating, overall the hotel was fine. The staff spoke excellent English and was very helpful. Parking is available in a garage across the street. It was an easy walk to the old part of the city, and to a variety of neighborhood restaurants.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Indianapolis
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I stayed there for 4 days because of a last minute business trip. The location is about 10 minutes walk to the old city center, which is quite lovely. The lobby will worry you, the carpet needs to be replaced, and overall, the entrance just looks dreary. However, staff are welcoming and all speak english. Based on the lobby, I was fearing what I would find in my room, however, I was pleasantly surprised. I had a real king size bed (not 2 twins together), and the bathroom was updated to western standards and was very clean. The tv was a small flat screen that was nothing to write home about, with only 8 channels. One real downside was the AC unit which just didn't want to function properly. Considering the low rates, and that one hotel staff told me there were going to renovate the lobby, I would recommend this hotel to other travellers. Of note, they have a breakfast buffet for 12 euros, which is not a bad deal for unlimited fruit, yogurts, coffee, pastries, and cereal.

Room Tip: ask for room 410. It has a huge bed and updated bathroom
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Tricky129
New York, USA
Reviewed 28 April 2012

arrived late into Toulouse. Needed a hotel. Saw this in my French cycle guige (we are cycling the Canal du Midi). Thry gave us great room with a true King bed (US-size). The fellow at the desk was SO helpul, including free tea and pastries in the am. Definitely would reccomend

• Stayed May 2011
Milwaukee
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Selected the hotel because of proximity to the train station as we were using Toulouse as our base for visiting other places. The best part of the hotel was its English speaking staff. Everyone was extremely helpful with restaurant recommendations, directions, switching rooms, etc. They were always asking how they could help us. We stayed in two different rooms. Both were fairly tired with average bed comfort and acceptable linens. The first room had no shower - only a slippery bath tub with a sprayer. We asked for and were given a room with a shower when we returned to the hotel after a night away. We had friends arriving and the staff accommodated our request for rooms with showers for the rest of our party. It felt like a very safe place but required a 5 to 10 minute walk to the local sites. Overall, it was a good value for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a shower
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank marybvg
PIGANIOL, Responsable réception at Hotel Riquet, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Greetings,
Many thanks for your kind words ! We try to be as helpful as possible and are always pleased to get this kind of feedback. We all hope you had a pleasant stay in the Pink City and look forward to welcoming you on another visit soon!
Best regards,
Tommy
California
Reviewed 16 September 2011

The title here is really the most important thing you will get from this review or the other reviews. I wish I had researched this place more carefully myself. The hotel is in the midst of renovations. Some rooms have been completely renovated, as shown in the nice photos here and on the hotel website. There are lots of positive reviews from guests that stayed in those rooms. But the hotel also has old rooms that have only had the most basic of updates to comply with the hotel's new three-star rating. For those not familiar with the French hotel rating system, the ratings are based on objective criteria that look at, for instance, the size of the room, the configuration of the lighting (really), presence of a hairdryer (really), and many other practical and some odd things. They are not subjective reviews of the quality of the hotel. So while apparently the old rooms already meet the 3-star criteria, they are in my opinion far worse that several other 2-star hotels where I've stayed in France. My room was in poor repair. The ceiling light looked ready to fall from the ceiling (see posted photo). The carpet had a stain just inside that door that must have had an unsavory origin (see photo). The shower was moldy with cracked tiles (see photo). The room was also simply old and outdated with gaudy furnishings (see photo). Simply put, it desperately needed renovation.

The positives were the employees and the breakfast. As others have noted, the employees are all very polite, helpful and speak flawless English. The location is just ok. It's near the train station, which was convenient for me. But it is a bit of a seedy neighborhood.

I should have done more research myself. But I feel deceived by the 3-star rating that the hotel website shows. The website does show the old, un-renovated "club" rooms. But they appear much nicer in the photos than in real life. They look old and charming instead of just old. At a 110 Euros, I really felt like I had rented a 60 Euro room and contributed another 50 Euros to their renovation fund. It was an uncomfortable, unpleasant stay.

Once fully renovated, I think Hotel Riquet might be a safe choice. Though the rates on the renovated rooms are far higher. But I can only rate the room I had, which was very poor for a 3-star hotel and even quite bad for a 2-star hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank BullaCalifornia
rpiganiol, Propriétaire at Hotel Riquet, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
Dear Sir,
The pictures you have taken come from two rooms of the Chartreuse where you stay with your colleague.
Your opinion is very relevant and chambers of the Chartreuse (range club from the hotel Riquet ) are not yet at the executive or executive suites level of the Hotel Riquet).
The hotel is constantly being renewed and the room you had, has a new bathroom and carpets will be changed normally during the week of January 16 to 20. I will not fail to spread new photos of this room so that you see for yourself the changes.
I understand your opinion on the price you paid, but you should know that you went through an online booking company which takes about 25% commission on the price of the room. For comparison, making a direct booking with 10 more euros and you would have an executive room that our customers appreciate.
Nevertheless, thank you for you raise good points and I will not fail to share them with my staff.
Hotel Riquet is already a safe choice and I hope soon to announce major changes.
When you return to Toulouse, I want you to call me personally at 05.61.62.55.96 I make you a proposal.
Please excuse my English which is not as "fluent" as my wife or my staff.