“Perfect location”

Ranked #6 of 130 Hotels in Toulouse
england
“Perfect location”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

An excellent hotel, in a great location. Efficient check in. Lovely decor with spotlessly clean rooms. Staff were extremely helpful. They helped to make suggestions for restaurants in the local area and even made a reservation for us.
The only downside to whole experience was as mentioned previously the noise at night, drunken revellers, smashing glasses and shouting to at least 3am!
However if you can get a room that doesn't face the road then I really don't think you can beat this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank hixy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Turkish first
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed at the Grand Balcon for two nights after reading good reviews on Trip advisor. We were greeted on our arrival with a room upgrade so we were very pleased to begin with - the room was very tastily decorated and the bed and pillows very comfortable. However, I will echoe the comments of dermgoddess ( a previous review) about the air conditioning, the room was very warm and the A/C thermostat did nothing - even when turned to minimum. On the last day we had an early flight home and needed to check out of the hotel at 7 AM so the evening before I went to reception to arrange a taxi and an early morning alarm call (6 AM) - we never got the alarm call!!, luckily my wife woke at 6:30 AM and we had enough time to get ready and not miss the taxi - which fortunately they did arrange!. Overall a stylish hotel with nice touches, just let down by some issues that you would not expect from a 5 star hotel..

Room Tip: Considering the hotel's location being situated right on the square, the room was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BugzyB1960
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Stayed at Le Grand Balcon for business, and my first impressions were very good. The hotel is located just off the main square in Toulouse, (which has a number of good bars and restaurants - ideal for eating outside). The hotel itself is located in a lovely old building, but inside has undergone an extensive, and high quality facelift. A 30s-style aviations theme runs through the hotel, which bizarely gives it a very modern feel.

The communal areas, (lounge/ bar and reception) are small, but pleasant. The bedroom however was a very good size, and exclelently fitted out. The Loewe televisison, with ipod dock and speakers in the bathroom was great. As was the Nespresso coffee machine, which guaranteed a decent coffee in the morning, (and not in a plastic cup like so many hotels these days!) Again, the decor in the room was fantatsic - low level lighting, leather chairs, a big bed, glass walled wet room, and amazing high windows.

Breakfast was also very good, (served down in the bar/ lounge). And althogh there was not much of a hot selection, there was a good cold buffet, including a quirky choice of vitamins and supplements!

But now the big downside: My room overlooked the street, and Toulouse can be a noisy city. Being an historic building I guess the owners were not allowed to fit thicker glass, and well into the early hours the room was filled with the noise of traffic and people singing/ shouting. (And this was a Wednesday night!) I am fortunate - I'm a heavy sleeper, but this would have been a big problem for many people.

Overall, I liked the hotel, and will return next time I am in Toulouse. Its location makes it ideal for exploring the city, and I liked the decor and some of the quirky features. I would definitely recommend the hotel to others - but light sleepers should be sure to request a room which doesn't overlook the street.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Chris M
east greenwich, rhode island
Reviewed 28 March 2012

There is NO air conditioning and it is very hot! Too noisy to open windows, but they are now open due to the extreme temperature. No screens on the windows. When I went downstairs to inquire about the lack of air conditioning, "sorry" was the response I got. I know this is not the united states, but this was the reply when I asked about a/c or a fan!
The room is small but adequate. Very close to everything in Toulouse, which is it's saving grace.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank dermgoddess
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed 22 March 2012

In Toulouse on a business trip, we were booked in this hotel. The location is fantastic! Right on the sqaure and in the middle of the action (glad we didn't stay by the airport - there is nothing there). The hotel is indeed small but it is very comfortable. In areas like the middle of Toulouse, I often worried about a old, albeit charming setting that lacks any modern ammenities. This place was great - not sure when they ronovated it but it feels new.

The rooms are definitly more modern / contemporary and have a wonderfully subtle aviation theme. The staff has been increadibly nice, the beds are comfortable and the bathroom is nice and spacious. As typical for Europe, the rooms are on the smaller side but it would be plenty comfortable for two people. Two members of our party had their credit cards and cash taken while doing a day trip in Paris and the hotel allowed them to charge the taxi to their room, giving them the cash they needed and giving them a free drink each saying it was on them. What a wonderful touch after a frustrating day! Kudos to them as I know it really helped when the frustration of the day was setting in.

Otherwise, the rooms are warm (in fact, in the winter here, I wish I could turn it down just a little) and the internet was slower than I'd like but I would hapilly stay here again. Great feeling, wonderful staff and good rooms. Yes, Please!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Brazil
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stayed 5 nights at Le Grand Balcon and I returned for another night two days later. Until my return I would say everything was ok.
During the second check-in the recepcionist (very polite) gave me a letter from the manager saying that I had made a large tear in the curtain during my first stay and so they made the "kindness" of charging only 200 euros on my credit card instead of 900 euros which was the cost of a new one. I became very disappointed thought as I haven’t ripped the curtain. I asked to see the curtain, but I was told that it had already been removed. It is absurd!
I asked to speak with the manager, but the recepcionist said that he would not arrive at the hotel until the next morning, only at 9:00 a.m, after my departure at 8:00 o’clock.
Everything was very embarassed

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BrazilClaudia
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We used the hotel for a short break recently and found it in the perfect location to explore Toulouse. It is situated in a beautiful old building with very modern interiors, while the rooms are well kitted out with all mod cons. We also considered the hotel reasonable value for money. There are plenty of excellent restaurants in walking distance from the hotel. We especially enjoyed the Oldest Brasserie in Toulouse, just 10 min walk from the station.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple