“Typical French”

Price range: US$11 - US$38
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We were staying at the Novotel about 200 yards down the road and decided on the Saturday evening to go out for a meal rather than staying in the hotel. I had previously noticed this restaurant and seen it mentioned in Trip Advisor so decided to give it a go.
It turned out to be a good choice, the staff were helpful and although there were language difficulties we were soon seated and enjoying drinks.
After perusing the quite extensive menu we decided to try the Menu Plaisir du Chef, a set meal but with a number of choices for each of the courses.
My wife chose for her starter the Duo de jambon cru et melon à l'italienne and I decided upon Avocat aux crevettes roses mayonnaise acidulée.
These both proved to be nicely presented, my wife said that the melon was the best she'd had for some time.
For main course my wife had Sole Belle-meunière served with potatoes cooked in butter and a salad garnish. I had Confit de cuisse de canard"maison". Rather disappointingly this came with chips, whereas I would have preferred potatoes like my wife. However we had not been given a choice in that respect. Unfortunately something that seems to be lacking in many French restaurants is a choice of green vegetables? Where do all those wonderful vegetables that we see on their market stalls disappear to?
My wife declared that the fish was superb, pan fried in butter and to be honest I wished that I had chosen that myself. My Confit seemed to be a little overdone and not quite what I had anticipated.
Next came the Plateau de fromage that my wife declined but I thoroughly enjoyed with its selection of French cheeses, names unknown, though one was certainly goats'.
We both chose for desert the Crème brulée à la cassonade and that was delightful, with a crisp top and meltingly smooth beneath.
With accompanying drinks the bill, including quite a generous tip, came to around €70.
Apart from my Confit the whole experience was extremely pleasant and we wouldn't hesitate to return. Next time I'll pick the Sole!

1  Thank Robert A

Reviewed 21 May 2013

For the past 10 years or so, on our bi-annual trips to Lille, this lovely restaurant has been a regular venue for our evening meal. It was a bit of a Lille institution - there were local meetings there in a function room, regular diners were always present, on their way home from work. It attracted French people who knew how to avoid the touristy restaurants. The place was warm, friendly, fantastic value for money and offered pleasing Northern French dishes.

That was then. This is now.

The restaurant changed hands in January. Visibly, it is already different. Gone are the table cloths and linen serviettes. In are paper place mats (labelled "a Parisian style brasserie") and paper serviettes. Gone is the bread basket with lovely sliced fresh French bread. In is a basket with part baked style baguettes - you know, the sort you get from your local supermarket back home, except with less taste.

The menu, superficially, looks similar, but there are only 2 menu formulas compared to the 5 when we first came. And the price points hide a dramatic reduction in value. Example - 15 euros used to be 3 courses, now it is just 2. One of the starters used to have 9 oysters, now there are just six. You get the way this is going.....

All of this might be acceptable if the quality was maintained, but sadly no. In comes the trendy china crockery with fancy sugar dust decorating the rim. But the food within, covered in limp lettuce, was lukewarm, and gave the impression hinted at by another reviewer, that this is merely a cook-chill operation. It always was, of course, but previously, you would never have known........ It's become a case of style over content.

Oh, and in case you get confused as to who the servers are, they all have STAFF writ large on their backs.

We feel as though we have lost an old friend......

3  Thank swtrains
Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

We went here purely for convenience as we got off a train at Lille from Paris at nearly 9pm and didn't want to walk far before eating that evening.

The restaurant is very large and was virtually empty at 9pm on a Saturday which wasn't an encouraging sign

Anyway it was very average , waited a while to be served despite them not being busy. Bread baguette rolls and butter in foil pats - not very French , more like the UK. No wine list that night, just a small verbal choice , not great.

Between 2 of us we had : Mussels which were overcooked and Like rubber, sole was small and not fresh ( from frozen ) , tomato tartar starter freezing cold ( pre made and deep chilled obviously ) , beef stew turned out to be beef tongue , veg boiled to a paste almost.

Desserts were better - chocolate mousse and dame Blanche - Not as good as some other restaurants in Lille.

In summary, edible mostly, filled a hole, near the station . Wouldn't return though.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

After attending a reception at the Town Hall in Lille we were looking for a place to eat near the Gare de Flandre and came across this restaurant. Although they were extremly busy a table was found and we were treated to one of the best meals we have had in France .23 euros for aperitif 3 courses coffee and wine .Went back next evening and still the same quality of food .Well worth a visit

1  Thank lugworm
Reviewed 26 May 2012

This restaurant is right next door to the Lille train station and offers a wide range of dishes for a good price. My partner and I had mussels, snails, steak, pork chops and a dessert and we found every dish to be served quickly and was very tasty and well cooked. The staff, although not very good with English were very helpful. Really nice restaurant.