“Excellent”

Neighbourhood: Vieux Lille 3
Lille, France
“Excellent”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This was my fourth visit chez Philip over the past year, so a review is overdue, but I can confirm that every meal I have had - indeed, every dish that I have tasted, including those of my different dining companions - was excellent. And other dishes that passed the table looked and smelled every bit as good. The space - both the lively bar and the quieter restaurant area at the back is pleasant. And the service surpassed that of many fine restaurants here; my most recent companion mused whether all the servers might have been hired on the basis of being exceedingly handsome and graceful dancers, but they were also efficient and friendly without being intrusive. Another point: at each visit my own menu choices were notably different from those of my companions, yet we asked for a single suitable bottle of wine; the server's recommendation was always perfect for all of us. The waiters were also clearly able to speak English (and English menus were available) but were also willing to put up with my poor French. I will return. (As do others: reservations are strongly recommended.)

• Visited June 2013

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Good atmospehere”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Ate here, had the rump steak. Very nice, Quiet and friendly, good staff. Cheeseboard was also excellent, as was the selection of red wine. Staff have little English, so brush up on your French and take your phrase book!

• Visited August 2012
London, UK
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Four of us had a very nice meal here on the Saturday evening of Easter weekend. We had made a reservation luckily as the restaurant looked to be completely full. We all had two courses, a starter and main course, from the set menu for EUR 27 each and felt it was good value. The food, service and atmosphere were all very good and we thoroughly enjoyed our evening there.

• Visited April 2012
Bushey, Herts.
“A Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 20 December 2009

From the street it looks like a small bar, but it's very deep and wider at the rear where there is a large restaurant area. It was a busy wet Saturday night but we managed to get a table for 4 without a reservation (just). Menu was very interesting but we went for the three course fixed price option with wine, and between us had everything that was available. A glass of wine was served to match each plate, and the matches were very good although one or two seemed eccentric - until the food arrived, when the match turned out to be perfect. Food was very good - fresh ingredients, served hot, not over-cooked. Service was attentive without being obtrusive. Good value for money while the £ is on the floor against the Euro.