“Purely a great Country side of France”

Novotel Lille Centre Gares
Ranked #23 of 107 Hotels in Lille
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Lille is a must go for in France. Especially its a great place for fresh beers and party rockers. Its a small city and the places are really need by. It is also cheaper compare to paris. Train station is in centre of city. Night clubs are full of life and alot youngsters in the city.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 May 2011

Arrived with my husband to the Europe Lille train station early in the day after a direct flight in to the CDG airport in Paris. Hotel was off to the left after about a five minute walk we arrived at the hotel. Staff was polite and spoke good English. Hotel was very Euro and minimalist with clean straight lines decor which my husband classifies as IKEAesque.

Room had great rain showerhead and we had a 5th floor room facing the office building towards the train station. As the other reviews indicate the French are not too concerned about air conditioning. Our room didn't stay cool but the weather was so mild that we could open the windows and stay cool. Funny thing was there were no screens on the windows but fortunately we didn't have any birds or insect visitors while we were there so it was fine to leave the windows open or at least cracked when we were sleeping.

Breakfast was typical continental fare with croissants, several breads to choose and an array of cheeses and fruits. Since we are not big coffee drinkers we totally enjoyed the choice of dark chocolate or milk chocolate for our hot drink. There was also a choice of juice and several cerals and yogerts to choose from.

Location was great and I could easily walk to restaurants and cafes while my husband was occupied with business during the day. There was a wonderful mall on the other side of the train station with several levels of shopping and a grocery store. Loved the selections of perfumes and shoes and the French are certainly into fashion! Walking to the city center did encounter a few people asking for money but a quick "Sorry, I don't speak French" usually did the trick. The people were generally friendly and if you tried to speak a little French they were usually helpful and gracious. Could tell that this was a University town as we noticed how many young people were around. Evidentally there was a big Soccer game going on when we were there since there was much cheering from some of the pubs as we walked down the street.

Enjoyed the Novotel and would highly recommend this hotel as it gave me a great sense of true city life in Lille particularly watching the people walking from the train station to work each morning. We were there for 5 nights and this place was a great location for either business or leisure. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2011

The hotel is located about 8-10 mins walk from the train station Lille Europe, and less than 5 mins walk from the Lille Grand Palais exhibition centre. Then it is as well a short walk away from the city centre, restaurants and a big shopping centre. The only down side is, because of that central location, there are many beggers nearby (I got asked 3 times for money or cigarettes on my way from the station to the hotel, that's a lot in less than 10 mins!). The street is very quiet at night but gets really busy during the day and particularly rush hour, making it hard to have the window opened from 7am to 7pm, however the double glazing of the room was really efficient.
I had a double room, even if I had mentioned I was on my own, and I have to say it was the biggest room I ever had in a hotel. It had a big double bed, a sofa, a desk, big flat screen TV, a bathroom with separate WC, which I guess could become handy if you share the room. The shower looked a bit tired, but nothing off putting, and overall everything was clean. The only downside of the whole stay (3 nights), was the air conditioning: the room seemed to be constantly really hot. I tried to put the airconditioning as low as 10oc, but nothing would change. The only option was to open the window, but being on the first floor on the street side, I was waking up very early because of the noise of the traffic. I think the air conditioning wasn't faulty as I could hear it work, but the room was I think simply too big to feel any difference and I like to sleep with temperatures below 20oc.
The breakfast was really nice with both sweet and savoury food. There was the usual croissants, breads, cereals, ham, cheese, etc. but they had also freshly made crepes, which I never had in other hotels.
The staff of the hotel was very friendly and helpful. They recommended and booked for us twice a very nice restaurant nearby. Everybody at the desk was very nice and smiley, as well as the staff in the breakfast room.
There is free WiFi in the hotel, but for those not having their laptop, there is a computer in the reception with free internet access, which is very convenient.
The lounge of the hotel is very big, it has many sofas and a book case filled with books and magazines. There was also a small play area for children.

Overall, I think this was a very nice hotel and I had a pleasant stay in Lille. Even if the room was on the warm side, I would definitely stay there again and recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jujuki
An Accor traveller
london
Reviewed 15 April 2011

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 March 2011

We had a one night stay for a city break, hotel have a good location, just near shopping area. Staff was OK, our room was clean and we enjoyed our stay.
Breakfast was OK. Public parking just near the hotel but a bit expensive. First time we discover this city and we were really surprised, this is a beautiful city and lots of things to see in walking distance from hotel, we loved old Lille.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rohnny64
Reviewed 3 February 2011

Large room wit huge sofa bed (for my 10 year old daughter)Tea and coffee nice touch.Nice recepition area and bar.Hotel bout 10 minute walk from centre and area not as bad as some people have commented.Over all very good value central hotel ....Enjoy

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
1  Thank IRISHYIDDO
Reviewed 20 January 2011

I will never stay here again if I can help it. I disliked everything about the hotel. The breakfast was skimpy. My room card didn't work in the elevator and got demagnetized the ff day. The service was mediocre and the had no us to France adapters at the front desk. Only plus was free wifi.

• Stayed: January 2011