Hotel Flandre Angleterre
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Room Service
View Hotel
All reviewstrain stationperson roommain stationtop floorwalking distanceyogurtreceptionbath
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This hotel is directly across from Gare Flandres so it is easy to find. It has been carved up into narrow hallways to cram as many rooms in as possible. We took the tiny elevator up but then had to go down a narrow hall and climb another set of narrow steps. At night the light did not come on in the stairwell and we found ourselves in total darkness. Fortunately I could fish a headlamp out of my purse and my husband used his IPhone for light. Creepy experience! Our room was large - (considered superior! ) - turned out to be under the eaves and felt like a garrett. Our bed was a mattress and box springs on the floor under the eaves. There was a lot of storage space - made me wonder if hotel employees sometimes lived there or what? The only window was a skylight that opened. It was raining so it was difficult to balance our need for air with need to keep out the rain. I think it would probably be very hot in the summer months. There was no dead bolt or security chain- though we soon found out that was true all over France. It was, however, very quiet up in our garret by ourselves!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruth V
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here for a two night stay while visiting Lille. The hotel is in a great location for the station and although we had made enquiries for parking this was overlooked. We had booked a superior room and it was very spacious and clean. The bathroom only had a hand held shower but it was quite powerful. The bathroom did not have a supply of toilet paper and we had to ask for this which they did then supply but only one roll which was not topped up when the room was cleaned. I had made enquiries about tea and coffee making facilities and these were provided although a minimal supply. I cannot comment on the breakfast as we went out for this. Stairs are difficult but there is a lift. Overall if you need somewhere to just use as a base while visiting Lille then this hotel will meet your needs. Reception staff very pleasant . Room 115 very quiet.

Room Tip: Room 115 was a superior room, very spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2014

As the picture above shows, it is very close to the station. So doing a two-nighter en route from Brussels to Paris made it the obvious choice
Very good value for a traditional French single room, and comfortable enough
Near the city centre too, and I was able to get to an event at the Lille Opera House, having decided just 30 mins before curtain up
The two things wrong are the wifi, which is very flaky, and has a complicated "registration" process to get online. Too many privacy issues for the simple matter of hooking up to wifi
The second thing is the size of the shower. The design is such that it is impossible to avoid the claggy touch of the shower curtain, without some part of your body turning off the shower
The shower handle protrudes into the centre of the cubicle and is unavoidable
I ended up opening the curtain and letting the water fall where it may
Good breakfast, and competent reception
Stairs are tricky if you have a heavy suitcase

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed here for two nights before a trip on Eurostar. Room was as expected for a main city location and on the small side but very acceptable. Nice clean room and comfortable bed. The bath only had a hand held shower over it but not a problem for a short stay. Very good location for Railway station, Eurostar and the city centre. Good breakfast and pleasant staff on reception.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I booked this hotel on Late Rooms for a last minute break over New Year for one night and travelled down by car from Calais. Paid about £55 for the night which I thought was very good.

Having never been to Lille before I was very pleased that the hotel was so easy to find and opposite the main Gare Flandre entrance. By car we spotted it almost straight away.

Hotel is extremely central and perfect for a quick shopping break or getaway. Parking is plentiful although charges apply. We parked in the 'Lille Opera' underground which was a 5-10 minute walk away. Car park was very safe and was 14 Euros for about 14 hours.

I would probably say avoid the front facing rooms as their was quite a lot of bustle and traffic noise out front. Our room (118) was a small, but clean double room and did everything it needed to for a short stay, it faced the rear so was pretty quiet.

Full English was spoken on reception and this small hotel was very quirky with its narrow staircase and hallways.

The TV had a couple of English channels such as BBC news and Eurosport to relax to and in the morning the shower was hot and powerful. The room had a small wardrobe, safe and desk.

I would say this hotel is perfect for a short City break of upto three or four nights. For a longer stay I'd be more comfortable with larger rooms - but of course for the price could not complain.

We didn't have breakfast and instead opted to eat out, but if I remember correctly was a very reasonable 8 Euros PP.

Room Tip: Go for a room to the rear of the hotel for a quiet time.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple