Wazemmes Market (Marche de Wazemmes)
Open today: 12:00 - 14:30
Review Highlights
real live in the city

Interesting experience - to go there for shopping and get fresh local food or flowers (textil and... read more

Reviewed 14 February 2020
Karli H
Sunday morning

Great way to spend you Sunday morning, while exploring this interesting market where you can find... read more

Reviewed 9 January 2020
a1eksandar
Belgrade, Serbia
via mobile

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Lille
from £39.17
More Info
from £51.36
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 July 2015 via mobile

Nice market, everything you can imagine. From market antiques to clothes and food. Cafés and eateries allround.

Date of experience: July 2015
1  Thank thomas j
Reviewed 15 July 2015

We went there on a Sunday for the (weekly?) outdoor market.
First of all, as a food-lover, I cannot stress enough how much I like being in a food market. This was no exception.
Lotta smell melting together in the air.
We bought a lot of food and ended up having a french, vietnamese, greek, moroccan, american dinner!!
Local "maroilles" cheese is sold as is, or baked in a "tarte au maroilles" - I recommend the Leek&Maroilles as the cheese is very strong.
The rest of the market can be skipped unless you are into cheap chinese made stuff.

Date of experience: July 2015
3  Thank Alexandre N
Reviewed 29 May 2015

Wazemmes is a cool neighbourhood in Lille, packed with quirky pubs, home to the annual Wazemmes Accordion Festival, and most famously location of the Market.

We went on a Sunday morning and there was a really nice atmosphere, wide selection of anything you may like to buy - bright scarves, assorted jewelry, and then fresh foods - meats and cheeses for cooking alongside prepared items from around the world. Walking into the main shopping area, there are lovely cafes and stalls international items.

Wazemmes was extremely diverse and the colours and smells were beautiful. I went to take photos mainly, but we also bought fresh fruits and cheeses and they were delicious.

Far and away my favourite part of Lille!

2  Thank Jenny M
Reviewed 18 May 2015

This market is huge! In the indoor market one finds the more high-end delicacies, and outside you will find everything else. The food sold outside and the people walking over the market reflect the international connections of France quite nicely. You can have a coffee at one of the many terraces around the market and watch the locals looking for bargains as well as the dynamics between the marketeers. Very enjoyable for your hidden anthropologist.

It is a pity the place attracts so many beggars, though.

1  Thank going4gold
Reviewed 14 May 2015

I found this market very initimdating in sections - to the point of having to tuck away my long dark blonde hair after being given LOTS of filthy looks.

When people describe this as a market for locals, I did not expect this to include radical types preaching on every corner and intimidating people who they did not like the look of.

I have NEVER been made to feel so uncomortable in my own skin.

My tip: Skip the market outside, look in the foodhall, then go to the market by Saint Andre.

4  Thank samanthalea