“Not Crowne Plaza standard”
Review of Crowne Plaza Lille

Crowne Plaza Lille
Ranked #26 of 107 Hotels in Lille
Ashtead, United Kingdom
“Not Crowne Plaza standard”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Room designers should be made to stay in the rooms they design. The air conditioning was very poor (certainly not 4 star standard) and it was not possible to cool the room enough so slept very badly. When approached the front desk staff said they would look into it but never heard another word.
To use the kettle the nearest plug means that the kettle is on the floor. To use the safe, which is in the cupboard one has to get down on hands and knees!
Thursday night the bar / restaurant was so noisy we could not have eaten there if we wanted to do so. The noise was so loud we could hear it in our room on the 7th floor. If we had been told prior to our stay that Thursday nights were so noisy we would have chosen a different hotel.
Breakfast at Euro 19 is way too expensive for a very mediocre hotel. A continental breakfast can be had in a cafe in the town, only 5 minutes walk away, for Euro 5.
I am a fan of IHG group hotels but this one is certainly not up to standard.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank John G
Crowne-Plaza-Lille, Directeur général at Crowne Plaza Lille, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear John G,
I would like to thank you for staying at our hotel and for posting such a detailed review on Tripadvisor.
It’s always a shame to read our guests didn’t enjoy both our quality of services and the special evening we organize once a month. Please kindly accept our apologies for any inconvenience you had during your stay. We will really do our best to improve the points you mentioned, be sure.
We hope to be able to welcome you again at our hotel soon to show you all these improvements,
Jean-Vianney Plays,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The room was big and spacious; the best bit was how comfortable the huge bed was. However we could not get the shower to work - even after checking with reception; the open plan bathroom had been designed without a light in the toilet. We did not spend much time in the room to be honest, but when we did, we found that the TV had no picture and were too tired to get it sorted. We used BBC iplayer radio instead; however we do feel that a hotel like this should make it easier to access the wifi. The hotel staff were professional and efficient and the hotel is in an excellent position for Eurostar and visiting Lille. We were there during Brazilian Electro Jazz evening - we did hear it in our third floor room - but it seemed to be all over by 11. Such a shame about the shower and the TV.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms seem adequate - we had no issue with the cemetery view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Tricia W,
I would like to apologize for the disagreement with the shower. We are really sorry to read your frustration, it should not happen again, we have made the necessary. Note that the problem is under process with the TV, we are planning to change them shortly.
By the way I hope you enjoy your staying despite this inconvenience.
We hope to welcome you again at our hotel and will do the best to satisfy all your needs.
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The location was perfect, view from the room perfect, room perfect, bathroom huge and wonderful, Staff was amazing,

We were here for four days of a 12 day Europe trip. After Paris I wasn't expecting much, but this was a wonderful hotel. The bar downstairs was neat and loved the live piano music. The room was so clean and large for a European hotel.

Room Tip: During December a room facing downtown is neat to see the Christmas Market.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Crowne-Plaza-Lille, Directeur général at Crowne Plaza Lille, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear IOKRU,
I am happy you enjoyed our service, the comfort of the room and the location of the hotel. I hope your trip was pleasant and you had a good time in Lille. I will personally congratulate the staff for its good attitude with you.
We are also delighted that you enjoyed our Bar and the live pianist, it is always a great pleasure for us to see that our customers are having a good time with our special evenings.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
bucks
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I arrived at this hotel with four of my best friends . We had booked a triple and a double but the booking was taken down wrong .The front office manager Yaelle Letellier could not be more helpful and when I cheekily asked if the Penthouse suite was available as that would accommodate us all she arranged it for us to stay there the whole of our weekend!!! (at no extra cost) food and service was excellent and Yaelle treated us like friends more than hotel guests.

Room Tip: Ask for the Penthouse suite its high up and no traffice noise and lovely views over Lille
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Crowne-Plaza-Lille, Directeur général at Crowne Plaza Lille, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear BucksBoris,
I am happy you enjoyed the food and services of our hotel. I hope your trip with your best friends was pleasant and you had a good time in Lille. I will personally congratulate Yaëlle for his friendly attitude with you.
We look forward to welcoming you again.
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 May 2014

For a rack rate of around 330€, company rate 210€, I stayed here for one night in May 2014 on a business trip. It turned into one of the worst stays I've ever encountered.

Let's start with the positive: great location right opposite Lille Europe station; breakfast was fine.

The neutral: The superior room was fine for a night for one person. To me, it seemed a bit too much furniture for too little space.

The poor side: it seems, as if many things came together during my stay. Details follow below, but to cut a long story short:
1. no wifi
2. too short curtains
3. hammering aircon woke me up several times
4. no working telephone
5. poor shower pressure
6. manager does not care
Result: I'd try a different hotel in Lille next time. There are a few right next door, so the choice is all yours!

The poor in detail:

First, the Wifi system didn't work. As I overheard, the problem seemed to have been around for a day already, no fix in sight though.

Second, they seemed to have saved money on the curtain length. Fixed on either end, the two pieces of curtains could not be properly closed in the centre of the window. So you better like a bit of sunshine in the early morning when staying here in summer.

Third and fourth, some hammering noise woke me up in the middle of the night. I got up, opened the room door, but no one was there. When it happened again, later that same night, I tried to call reception - but the phone didn't work. My issue: The noise started, lasted for 10 to mayber 60 seconds and disappeared. So I hoped for the best and went back to sleep. Altogether, I got woken up around 5 times that night, I was not happy. In the morning, I realised that the aircon probably made that noise. So hammering aircon and broken telephone.

Fifth, probably least important, when I took a shower in the morning, the water pressure was extremely poor.

Sixth: I told reception of all of this in the morning upon checkout. They apologised and took a note. Reception staff promised a call by the manager (who was not in) after noon that day. Well, guess what - he/she never called. Until today, almost 2 weeks later, there has been none.

Some ironic detail: my room was labeled as "quiet room"...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Crowne-Plaza-Lille, Directeur général at Crowne Plaza Lille, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Peter M,
I would like to thank you for posting such a detailed review on Tripadvisor.
On the one hand, we are glad that you enjoyed the location of our hotel and its breakfast. On the other hand, we are a bit disappointed that you didn’t appreciate your stay.
I would like to apologize for the disagreement with internet. We change the system at the moment and it sometimes causes unfortunately some problems of connection.
Kindly accept our apologies for all the inconveniences you have met during your stay.
We are going to solve the various problems you met so that it does not happen anymore.
I hope to welcome you again at our hotel and will do the best to satisfy all your needs the next time.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Unless you are using the Eurostar or are enthusiastic about being in a personality free hotel literally on top of a railway station I would counsel you to avoid this hotel. I selected it en route to a skiing holiday because it had secure parking and because I am an Intercontinental Platinum member and was expecting a room upgrade.

The "secure" parking is in a multi storey car park underneath the station where anyone could park and did not strike me as particularly secure although nothing happened to the car - it is almost impossible to find from the hotel but the barman was delegated to help me find it which he very charmingly did.

The room was OK - I am pretty sure it wasn't upgraded but it was clean. We walked around 10 minutes into town for dinner through a pretty rough area which is pretty standard for big city French train station surroundings. The bar attached to the hotel on the station level had a large outside area and looked very busy and fun. We had a workmanlike bistro dinner in town so didn't use the restaurant. The hotel is quiet and we slept well.

The breakfast was chaotic, average and very expensive.

In short would have been better off at a Novotel. I will plan better next year and will not be returning.

Room Tip: I stayed on a high floor which was quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Crowne-Plaza-Lille, Directeur général at Crowne Plaza Lille, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear JonnyBbad,
On the one hand we are glad that you enjoyed our hotel and his location. On the other hand we are a bit disappointed that you didn’t appreciate your stay.
For your information, the parking does not belong to our hotel, it is managed by an outside company. It offers however two advantages : it is secured and it has a direct access to the hotel, close to the reception. Do not hesitate to contact us before in order to inform you about the access and others services.
I am also sorry to read that the breakfast did not convinced you, we will do our best to improve it.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My boyfriend and I spent a weekend at the Crowne Plaza in Lille. The hotel is very close to the station which makes it very convenient. The hotel is nice. The room is clean and modern. The breakfast is continental and there's a big variety.
The staff at reception are very smiley and helpful. The only downside would be the staff at the bar. They were grumpy and not helpful at all. We don't know whether we caught them on a bad day or whether they're like that in general.
But other than that, we were very pleased with the hotel and the service and we'd definitely come back again!

Room Tip: Room 502 was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Crowne-Plaza-Lille, Directeur général at Crowne Plaza Lille, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear JangoFett75,
I am happy you enjoyed our service and the location of the hotel. I hope your romantic break was pleasant and you had a good time in Lille. I will personally congratulate the staff at the reception for its daily good attitude, it is so important !
On the other hand I am a bit disappointed that our staff at the Bar was not enough smiley and helpful with you. I will do whatever is necessary to ensure this does not happen.