“Basic, but absolutely enough and fine”
Review of NordHotel Citotel

NordHotel Citotel
Ranked #88 of 107 Hotels in Lille
Reviewed 28 September 2010

OK so I booked this hotel and then looked at the reviews and thought I had made a terrible terrible mistake. Reviews ranged from bad decor to insect bites to a review in Frency which appeared to suggest the hotel was being used for illicit purposes. Anyway I was booked in and had paid and so I went. It was nowhere near as bad as I had feared. Decor was worn but clean. I saw no evidence of illicit use. I slept like a log in a comfortable bed, had two good showers and considered the hotel to be 31 Euro well spent. My car seemed reasonably safe. Just one word of warning, if you are in Lille late into the evening I would recommend getting a taxi back not the Metro (which is unmanned, no driver or guard). On the Metro, despite being 6 foot and 17 stone I felt intimidated by drunks and beggars and fearsome looking people and also noticed that despite throngs of people in Lille, sadly barely anyone seemed to be using the metro to get home, which I put down to them not feeling safe.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Phil R

Reviewed 14 August 2010

We stayed at the Nord for two nights during a short weekend hop around France & Belgium. The hotel is basic, and there is only a continental option at breakfast, but for the cleanliness and price this hotel was excellent value.

The hotel is situated on a main road, but you can't tell as they have double-glazing fitted throughout. They have a secure gated under-hotel car park accessible from the main road as well as by foot through the reception area. The staff are helpful and speak reasonable English.

The rooms themselves were comfy and had the usual facilities - TV, tea/coffee, bathroom with shower. We particularly enjoyed the fact our front facing windows had metal shutters that could be operated from inside the room. Being fitful sleepers this meant perfect dark in the room - to the point where we woke up at 9.30am convinced it was still the middle of the night!

All in all, this hotel doesn't have any bells and whistles, but if you want a comfy nights sleep in a cheap and clean hotel, give Hotel Nord a try.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ross B
Reviewed 23 October 2009

The hotel claimed that our booking was cancelled by their agent. As our arrival was 10 at night we were given the choice of paying again double the amount or finding somewhere else. When we contacted our agency they had not cancelled the booking but did agree to refund us what we had paid them. They have now removed this and all associated hotels from their booking lists.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank m50lws
Reviewed 18 August 2009

We travelled via Eurostar and got the Metro-the stop is about 10mins walk from hotel. The staff were very pleasant and obliging,room clean. Breakfast was delicious- as efficient little lady runs the breakfast and does a good job with replenishing the buffet . The area I admit seemed a little intimidating near the metro but we found no problems and walked around the hotle area which was residential with a few north african restaurants/takeways. When you approach the metro from the hotel on the right hand side there is the most fantastic park and botanical garden with a palmhouse -open 9-1pm. There was no one else looking around-shame.If you are in Lille check out the Zoo- it is free and there are plenty of walks alongside the canal beside it.(cycle way too)

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank julie260
Reviewed 7 January 2009

The hotel was bleak and dark. Hotel room stunk of smoke and the flowery air fresher did not help the odour.

Cheap it may have been but you still expect a level of cleanliness and this hotel did not have it.

There where marks on the blankets (goodness knows what thay were) and the room paintwork had not had a cloth on them since it was built.

As a travelodge user this hotel has a lot to learn about being a 2* rating.

We even smelt when we came out of this hotel.

Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank DaisyMae05
Reviewed 19 October 2008

The Nord hotel was the most discusting place I have ever had the displeasure to stay at. We checked in for a 3 night stay and only stayed for 2 hours and proceeded to sleep in our rental car. our car was much nicer!

The smell in our room was absolutely revolting (of smoke covered up with air freshner - bearing in mind the sign on the door stated that it was a no-smoking room), the pipes, paintwork and skirting boards etc had never been damp dusted in 20 years. I have never been so discusted in my life. I am all for budget and cheap as I travel loads on a budget, but there is no excuse for dirty, unclean and smelly - I would have rather slept have slept in a unfridgerated mortury. The hotel was the type of place you expect to see on a horrer film - watch the film derailed and you will understand.

Does anyone visit these places prior to advertising them on websites for travellers to book?

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank ditzy666
Reviewed 12 February 2008

I have nothing to complain based on that chep price.
Hotel staff very friendly and efficient. Clean towels daily.
Room is nice, have private and free parking and also free wireless!!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank alphanso_mex