“Beautiful hotel.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 106 Hotels in Lille
Rotterdam
“Beautiful hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a weekend trip to Lille. No doubt the hotel itself is beautiful and elegant. Still I would not rate it a 5 star hotel. We had a room on the ground floor in the back of the hotel. When we were walked to the room I had the feeling we were brought to the cleaning department of the hotel... The room itself was alright though. Room was clean and for French standards I would say spacious. In a 5 star hotel I would think the bathroom would have a separate bath and a shower and not a shower in the bath tub. Bed was good, wifi was free. In a 5 star restaurant I expect things to be flawless. Both mornings at breakfast we were confronted with empty trays. It took a long time for them to be refilled. Both mornings I had to ask for juice, since that was empty as well and was not refilled. In my opinion the coffee tasted horrible, but maybe that is a mather of taste. Not the things you would expect in a 5 star hotel. We did not use the restaurant for dinner, so I can't comment on that. Parking wasn't free. It's a 5-10 minute walk to the centre and the shops. A beautiful and good hotel, but as mentioned earlier in my opinion not 5 star.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
A-Grosperrin, Directeur général at L'Hermitage Gantois, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your beautiful review on your last stay at l’Hermitage Gantois, Autograph Collection.

I am glad to learn that we were able to reach your expectations.
We always do our utmost in order to deliver to each of our guests a top quality service and comments such as yours inspire us to continue our efforts.

For your next trip to Lille, do not hesitate to check our website for the best offers and rest assured that our property will be your second home in France.

André Grosperrin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Polish first
St Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Four of us arrived at this hotel after a quick Eurostar from London and were greeted by a very cheerful, efficient and informative Sarah at the reception. She couldn’t have provided a better welcome. David showed us to our rooms and on the way briefed us on the history of the hotel – a former hospital run by nuns. Our room was derived from 3 nuns quarters converted into a lobby, bathroom and bedroom all to a high standard. We slept very well. The hotel has a lovely atmosphere and although modern, it has retained the chapel and a host of original fittings and fixtures making it an interesting place to explore. Breakfast was very good too in the vaulted restaurant. Prices in the bar were painful although overall our stay was excellent mainly due to our great Sarah welcome and the helpfulness of all the reception staff throughout.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you very much for having chosen L’Hermitage Gantois Autograph Collection on your last stay in Lille.

By answering to our survey, you have shared your experience with us and I am extremely grateful for this.
Your feedback is a great value for us and I am glad to learn that our level of service has reached your expectations.

I am also very pleased to congratulate Sarah for her excellent work during your stay.

For any future reservation, do not hesitate to check our website as the best rates and offers are uploaded on a daily basis.

Once again, thank you very much for your positive feedback and we hope we will soon have the pleasure to welcome you back at our hotel.

Directeur Général
Hermitage Gantois Autograph Collection
Lenham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

First of all I must point out that I only ate dinner with friends who were staying in this hotel but I haven't stayed there yet - this will be an experience I'd like to share with my wife...

This restored hospice is a piece of living flemish history well worth a tour of the building alone but much more enjoyable of course if you are staying and/or dining there. The atrium bar is impressive and Manhattans are on the menu as is an incredible whiskey selection. Then on to the dining room where everything is first class including food, drink and service.

All in all, a most positive and memorable evening. Next time overnight!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Directeur
Hermitage Gantois Autograph Collection
Sawley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

The hotel was created in 2003 after having been a hospice for old sick people from the year 1462. The renovations, particularly the bar in the central atrium which has very comfortable and elegant leather settees, have made a very spacious and charming area.

In order to reach the room, my husband and I were able to take the lift to the correct floor but then had to walk down about 15 steep steps, so anyone with heavy luggage or walking difficulties.....be warned. The room was well furnished but the lights in the bathroom were extremely dim......so certainly not adequate for my husband wanting to have a good clean shave or for me to do my hair!

The dinner in the restaurant was terrible! The chicken was undercooked and pink and the waiter took our plates away and returned with some more chicken, this time, probably zapped in the microwave, and it was hard, like rubber and totally inedible. There were no apologies. A pity as these things detracted from our enjoyment of the wonderful history of the building in the centre of Lille.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Boots888
A-Grosperrin, Directeur général at L'Hermitage Gantois, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear BOOTS,

Thank you for sharing your review with everyone on TripAdvisor.
We feel sorry to learn that your stay among us did not entirely reach your expectations.

I understand that you were a bit disappointed by the location and the standards of your room.
For any future stay among us, please do not hesitate to let us know your feelings while at the hotel, as we will be delighted to allocate you another room upon availability.

As you were part of a group of 30 persons, we were unfortunately not able to personally escort you to your room.
However, rest assured that for any individual reservation, we do apply this procedure in order to guide our guests throughout our historical building.
Also, we take care of each piece of luggage of our guests in order to avoid them any inconvenience with the stairs.

Regarding you review of the food served at our Brasserie, we would like to apologize if the cooking of your chicken was not appropriate.
This matter will be immediately attended by our Food & Beverage Department in order to offer to our future guests a top quality service.

We hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back despite the inconveniences encountered as we will do our utmost to please you.
As an Australian Citizen, you will probably know that we are currently celebrating the centenary of the First World War.
On this occasion and in order to discover the emblematic spots of the war, we have created a unique package called “Roads of History”.
For any further information, please check the website of our hotel.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We had a lovely romantic weekend in Lille, staying at the superbly decorated L'Hermitage Gantois. It's a five minute walk from the centre of town, yet off the main circuit just enough to be very peaceful at night. The room was very nicely decorated if a tad small, but very clean. The bed was a pleasure to sleep in, and we had a job stopping ourselves from having a lay-in both days (we had a busy schedule!)
The accomodating staff were conversant in several languages, professional and immaculately turned out. The attached restaurant/bistro (locatable from the street) served us excellent meals both nights and at a reasonable price. The lobby staff recommended the bistro and although I generally steer clear from in-house recommendations, I'm so glad I listened to the staff.
A two-night stay at L'Hermitage was at the upper end of our budget, but it really was money well spent. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tony L
A-Grosperrin, Directeur général at L'Hermitage Gantois, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Tony,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to comment your last stay among us.
I am very pleased to read that we have been able to meet your expectations and that you will certainly recommend our property.
Feedbacks such as yours are an incredible source of inspiration and they encourage us to continue our daily efforts in order to satisfy our guests.

We hope that we will soon have the pleasure to welcome you back.
Do not forget to check our website as all our best rates and packages are posted on a daily basis!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I had a previous experience with this hotel that I brought to the management's attention. It was a result of an unusual situation involving a visiting national soccer team staying at the hotel -- kind of an interesting cultural experience as it turned out. The management bent over backwards to try to remedy the situation, and I am gratified to see such an immediate and thoughtful response. They brought me a nice bottle of wine, and moved my room to a quieter location in the hotel. They were genuinely concerned that I have a pleasant and enjoyable stay,

Sometimes things are beyond one's control, as this was in the most part, but I always feel it is how a hotel manages the situation that is the telling factor. Hats off to this hotel for their first class response!

Room Tip: Not on ground floor next to lobby area, as tile floors can make it very noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Twineetraveler
A-Grosperrin, Directeur général at L'Hermitage Gantois, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for this wonderful review.
We are glad to learn that our immediate response to all your concerns allowed you to finally enjoy your stay among us.

I will share your comments with the entire staff of the hotel as I am sure that everyone will be thrilled to learn that we have been able to reach your expectations!

Once again, thank you for your positive feedback and I hope I will soon have the pleasure to welcome you back.

Cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed here for the final night of our 16 night road trip around France and Spain, we were looking forward to the services that a 5* property would afford us and we got some of it. Upon arrival nobody was around to take the car or luggage, we left the car illegally parked and walked up to reception with our luggage whilst the receptionist watched us, not a great start (and there was a strange smell of fish in the entrance hall on check in and check out), I asked about parking, they advised 25 euro for valet for the evening and to just give them the keys which I did, the lady then offered to show us to the room, she glanced around and could see nobody to help us with the luggage so asked if we wanted any help, of course we didnt want her to take them so we just carried on ourselves, again, not great, the room was lovely, interesting and well laid out, in the bathroom there were some Hermes toiletries but not all - which I found odd, But again all very nice. Beware, the minibar is up there price wise, I forget the price of the coke but the shorts were 14 euro each...........we couldnt find the price list until the next day when we spotted it in the hallway! Location was OK, it is a reasonable walk to the centre, we got a taxi back, all in all, nice, when I book a 5* with valet parking I want someone out there to take my car and my luggage. Next time we would drop a start and stay a bit more central.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your opinion with us.
We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your time among us despite some small aspects that you have kindly highlighted.

We are sorry to learn that no one could help you to carry your luggage from the car to the Reception.
Indeed, upon your arrival, our Valet was already parking a car and therefore he was not able to help you.

Our Receptionist kindly offered her help but I am sad to read that her gesture could not erase the fact that our Valet was not immediately available at the time of your check-in.

Regarding the rates of the mini bar, we would like to thank you for your feedback and rest assured that we have done our utmost in order to harmonize them with the rest of the 5* properties.

We will be very glad if you consider our hotel for any future stay in Lille.
Moreover, our Spa will be opening its doors at the end of this year and I am sure that you will appreciate it!

Wishing you a very pleasant end of spring,