“Polite and nice staff, nice rooms and good location in the old town”
Review of Gastama

Gastama
Ranked #2 of 25 Speciality Lodging in Lille
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I am not an expert on assessing hostels but can tell you some stuff after comparing couple of hostels I stayed. First thing distinguishing Gastama from other hostels is that the staff is really helpful and friendly. My girlfriend made all the talks, while I was having an inflammation in my mouth, but she got very good information about the pharmacy, restaurants, bus lines, the concert are we wanted to visit and everything else. So special thanks to Kate, she was very nice and speaks perfect English. Apart from that I appreciated the power plugs and curtains beside the each bed. The location is also nice, in the old town and you make a nice 10 minute walk to the center through nice old streets, which is in my opinion better than a hostel in the bustling center itself.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 25 September 2013

We came here as part of the Eurostar deal and were not disappointed. It's positioned conveniently in the old town which is charming. The rooms are spotless, well sound proofed, stylish and big enough (we had a private double). The staff are immediately helpful and pleased to see you. They all spoke excellent English, but didn't make you feel bad for trying out your French. The owner has great visions for the place and takes the time to learn your name. The bar gets really busy on a Saturday night and has great atmosphere. We ended up coming back from a lovely dinner out, for more unnecessary nightcaps. None of the fun could be heard from our room though. The guests are mostly young backpacker types, though we saw other couples there and one family. We didn't use them but the kitchens looked really well appointed. So basically everything you could ever want from a hostel and a bit more.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Great place!
Helpful, flexible, busy, but strangely quiet in the rooms. Modern, stylish...very clean for a hostel.

It feels safe and yet open.

I stayed with three friends and know many more who stayed that weekend. We all had a great experience. Lovely location too.

Well done Gastama. Don't let standards slip!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ChiffeLondon
Reviewed 19 August 2013

You know, i really in love with Lille and this hostel! Cause i think nothing could be better! Great location in pretty Veux Lille, very friendly and helpfull staff, room was cleand every day. Especially i'm in love with the bar, wich located in hostel. There's so nice atmosphere. If You want to visit Lille, just stay here, and i think You'll not regret! Just enjoy it and fell like You reall french guy))

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We only stayed for one night on our way home from our trip abroad.
The hostel was great, v clean, fantastic kitchen and cosy sitting room area.
Bar downstairs is buzzing! Lots happening. Free computers, wifi, fantastic beds. Sinks in the room, so clean.

A lot of thought and consideration has been put into this hostel, no airs and graces from the staff. Everyone is just so practical and thoughtful. Excellent place to stay.

One downer: the guy on the desk overnight, he is not friendly and makes no effort to help anyone who speaks english. We both speak a little french and good german. He just was not happy. So we missed breakfast because we were in a rush to get to our train. Really disappointing as we nearly missed the bus - we were told the day before that the bus runs every few minutes more like every 20-30 minutes so beware of that fact if you have an early morning train. It is something that could easily ruin your impression and stay in this hostel.

Otherwise a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I decided to randomly visit Lille, and booked a couple of nights at the Gastama. I loved the place so much, I booked an extra three. It has to be the BEST hostel I have stayed in to date. In fact, it is more like a boutique hotel. The staff are very friendly, and make the place. Whilst I was there, I saw a language night which guests could attend and a meeting for a disabled group, a real community place - which, makes you feel part of it. The breakfast buffet was enjoyable, the rooms were really clean and the bathrooms spotless. The only constructive feedback I would give from my entire stay is, a hook could be provided to place your towel on whilst showering. That's it. I am already planning my return trip, not so much for Lille, but just to experience the Gastama - again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

I was only there for one night, in a 4 bed female dorm. My friend and I had the dorm to ourselves. It was very clean, spacious, had windows that opened out to the street, reading lamps, lockers, power sockets and privacy curtains on each bed.
The bar on the ground floor was popular with young locals and you could not hear anything on the floor above!
Negatives: 25 minute walk from main train stations.

• Stayed: July 2013