Gastama
Inter-Hotel Ascotel(Villeneuve d'Ascq)
US$82
US$78
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbar downstairshostel roomsbed female dormwelcome drinknice place to stayold townliving roomminute walkcity centretrain stationbedsfacilitiesbunkcleanlinesseurossinkfrance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This hostel has been one of the best I've stayed at in Europe so far. The staff were friendly when I arrived. The rooms are spacious for bags, plus there are the storage drawers under the beds. Showers and toilets seem clean. Beds are comfy, with the curtain for extra privacy. Great wifi connection too
10/10. Two thumbs up. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

This is a very luxurious hostel. Seriously. Everything was very clean, had numerous, inexpensive rooms. The dorm rooms each had a sink in them and each bed had very convenient privacy curtains, outlet, and light (although my light didn't work). The toilets were clean. I didn't use the shower since there were five other females in front of me. Kitchen is clean and extensive, equipped with numerous utensils, pots, etc, and a fridge and stove. The common room is in the kitchen and has a book exchange. The hostel is connected to a bar that is VERY busy on Friday nights. Fantastic hostel, overall.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Gastama was the best hostel I've ever been to. Excellent vibe in the common areas, in the bar and rooms. Unlike many hostels, the internet works through the whole bulding and that's one major advantage. Whenever you feel like being in a quiet, private place, you may lie in your bed and browse the internet with no problems. The kitchen is "the" place to hang out, drink or meet new people, sitting in the English flag round table. The staff gathers diverse people that will always be willing to help you.

Room Tip: Not many tips. All rooms I've been to are great.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Daniel L
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I am not an expert on assessing hostels but can tell you some stuff after comparing couple of hostels I stayed. First thing distinguishing Gastama from other hostels is that the staff is really helpful and friendly. My girlfriend made all the talks, while I was having an inflammation in my mouth, but she got very good information about the pharmacy, restaurants, bus lines, the concert are we wanted to visit and everything else. So special thanks to Kate, she was very nice and speaks perfect English. Apart from that I appreciated the power plugs and curtains beside the each bed. The location is also nice, in the old town and you make a nice 10 minute walk to the center through nice old streets, which is in my opinion better than a hostel in the bustling center itself.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We came here as part of the Eurostar deal and were not disappointed. It's positioned conveniently in the old town which is charming. The rooms are spotless, well sound proofed, stylish and big enough (we had a private double). The staff are immediately helpful and pleased to see you. They all spoke excellent English, but didn't make you feel bad for trying out your French. The owner has great visions for the place and takes the time to learn your name. The bar gets really busy on a Saturday night and has great atmosphere. We ended up coming back from a lovely dinner out, for more unnecessary nightcaps. None of the fun could be heard from our room though. The guests are mostly young backpacker types, though we saw other couples there and one family. We didn't use them but the kitchens looked really well appointed. So basically everything you could ever want from a hostel and a bit more.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends