“"Disappointing"”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Lille Centre 12
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We came across this purely by chance, outside looks very inviting but I felt the food was a complete letdown, maybe because they had large groups of people that they were catering for meant that couples were given substandard meals, I didn't eat my main course and the waiter just whisked the plate away without asking what was wrong, maybe I should have said but by that time we just wanted the bill, which I thought for what we had compared to other resaturants we had eaten at was quite expensive
On the up side the restaurant has a good atmosphere and maybe at quieter times the food would be better.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I have already reported on Le Petit d'Anvers (sister restaurant) some ten minutes walk away and how we came across Le Barbu d'Anvers after ten years of regular visits to Lille. Both are magnificent and the menus are almost identical. Main differences are that Le Petit... has a terrace looking over a beautiful green sward towards the old hospice/convent and the towers of the cathedral whereas Le Barbu.... (the main one) is in a quaint Flemish courtyard off Rue St Etienne near the Grand Place. Le Barbu itself is closed on Sunday; however, le Petit... is open over Sunday lunchtime. We did both - magnificent too!
Please see my review of Sunday lunch at Le Petit. Our experiences were identical and we can recommend the Colin (white fish), mackerel, signature stew in cast iron marmite plus frites in cones, brochettes (lamb excellent, duck, pork and veal also served and appeared to be much welcomed by fellow customers) along with the usual desserts (profiteroles, creme brulee and ice cream). At both restaurants, there was no cheese on the menu but staff (very amiable and helpful) were only too happy to supply what turned out to be rather large plates.
We were the first customers at Le Barbu (7pm-ish) on a Friday evening and within 15 minutes the place was full. Speaks volumes! And the olde-Flemish ambience, what can one say? What a find and we want more!

1  Thank The Great Dad
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Had a good time in this fun restaurant. The food was surprisingly good and creative; the staff friendly and helpful.

I had the sea bass and my husband had the tuna served with a sorbet … very different. Both dishes were delicious.

Even though it was in the old town center, this restaurant appears to be a local favorite, but we were made to feel welcome and enjoyed it all.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

Our hotel recommended this restaurant when we were in Lille. This was an incredible meal had served many regional specialties. I am so glad we went, it was a really memorable experience. These guys are real pros and are serving high end food in a cool space.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

First time visit to Barbue d'Anvers after being told it was not the best restaurant in Lille but I was pleasantly surprised, there was a really cosy feel to the restaurant, I felt very welcome, and I would defiantly recommend the food and the they had some excellent wines.