“An excellent local French restaurant”
Review of Le Barbue d'Anvers

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Lille Centre 12
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The atmosphere here is authentic and the restaurant was almost exclusively full of French as it is off the beaten track. Our French is basic, but at no time did we feel spoken down to, unlike the previous reviewer. In fact the first comment my wife and I made to each other when leaving was how welcome we were made to feel. We had two courses each and a shared cheese board with 2 bottles of wine for E133 so not bad value by any means. whilst not a truly exceptional dining experience, I would recommend this restaurant to all.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

This was recommended by our hotel. What a disappointment! My foie gras was a tiny slice served with soggy toast and the main.....mussels although plentiful were cold and tasteless. On pointing this out to the waiter he offered to take them back and have them re-heated ! Well ....what can be better than tasteless cold mussels......hard as cardboard reheated ones!....have tasted far better from the corner shop at a quarter of the price. Frites were cold and soggy..... My partner had terrine - speciality on the night.....dry and uninteresting. But the fillet steak was tasty and so it should be for a small portion at 26 euros. We couldn't get out of there fast enough and surely the waiter had missed our dis-satisfaction when we had pointed out how unhappy we were and just wanted our bill. He kept offering dessert ...and coffee......one large table of locals and a smaller table of locals on a Saturday night. Maybe we should have asked for what they were having.... Tourists don't count? At close to 100 euros.....What a waste of money!

Reviewed 9 November 2013

We were drawn by the atmosphere of this restaurant, from the outside. Unfortunately that is all the place offers, and even then there are limitations: if you have not reserved, you are placed at tables in a gloomy part of the room and there are no candles left for your table. We were told that the candles were all used up in the reserved section.
The food was horrid. My special - served in an ugly microwave dish complete with dried sauce around the edges- looked and tasted like something you might get in a cheap cafe but cost a staggering amount. We left as soon as we had finished our main course. Really a disappointing place.

Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

The only thing going for it was the old building and decor which appealed to us in the first place. From then on it was all downhill I'm afraid.

My mains : 1 small lamb chop in bean sauce with a minimal potato content 21€.
My partner's mains : 1 inadequate mixed fish lasagne in typical, yet small pub meal dish 19€.
As the tables with candles were reserved we were seated in the otherwise dingy atmosphere, when we asked we were only offered a couple of night lights. We gestured towards the taller candles but were informed there were no more available.
Good job we had that torch App on our mobile phones!
Lille is bursting with restaurants, why would I ever eat here again?

Reviewed 26 September 2013

We came across this purely by chance, outside looks very inviting but I felt the food was a complete letdown, maybe because they had large groups of people that they were catering for meant that couples were given substandard meals, I didn't eat my main course and the waiter just whisked the plate away without asking what was wrong, maybe I should have said but by that time we just wanted the bill, which I thought for what we had compared to other resaturants we had eaten at was quite expensive
On the up side the restaurant has a good atmosphere and maybe at quieter times the food would be better.