“Great Day in Normandy with a Great tour guide”

Normandy Sightseeing Tours
Normandy Battlefields Tour - American Sites
Ranked #5 of 37 Tours in Bayeux
Basel, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Day in Normandy with a Great tour guide”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Just finished our third trip to Normandy - we were bringing some relatives from the USA who had never been but wanted to see as much as they could in one day. Christophe Rault was our guide and was EXCELLENT - incredibly knowledgeable about both details of the war as well as real life stories of some of the participants/leaders. We had a mix of late and early teens and he handled the entire day with great energy and flexibility. He is the ONLY guide in our 3 trips that I would recommend! Thanks Christophe for a great day.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank Rush1001

california
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Amazing tour of Normandy - WWII came to life for me!”
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We booked a tour with Christophe Rault and had the most amazing day of our lives. He came on time and came prepared, bringing a book with copies of historical pictures of the places where we were going to tour. As the day progressed, he would show us a picture from his book from the 40's, showing us a picture of the city street we were walking on with soldiers walking on that same street. He explained in detail about the choice of Omaha beach, how they landed slightly off the location they were supposed to land, and how this helped the American's in their challenge to get off this beach alive. I am not a history buff but had wanted to see Normandy as my father had landed here after D-day. I can tell you that I feel as if I am now going to be a history buff, as I want to read more stories about D-day and have watched numerous movies on it, since returning home. THank you Christophe for giving us such a wonderful day.

Visited May 2011
1 Thank marilee12
Owings Mills, Maryland
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“1/2 day tour is a good idea”
Reviewed 23 July 2011

My wife didn't want to do the entire day on WW2 so we did the half day tour. We really enjoyed it and saw what I thought was enough. German bunkers, Omaha Beach, US cemetery all with commentary by our knowledgeable tour guide. It was nice because they picked us up at our B&B which was so convenient. Our tour guide was very nice, spoke good English, and gave us a very unique (French) perspective which was in someways painful to hear. Very good tour group.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank matthewedward
Hong Kong
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“History in a day”
Reviewed 4 July 2011

As we booked on relatively short notice with NST already fully booked, we had to wait a day to get a confirmation that another guide would be available.  We were uncertain as to the quality of the guide we would be getting.  Our fears were misguided as our guide, Francis, was excellent.  The full day E-1 tour was excellent and very enriching for our whole family.  I found the experience at Omaha Beach and the American to be especially moving and beautiful.  All in all, a guided tour is a must for anybody visiting western France.

2 Thank mtakahas
Fairbanks, Alaska
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Excellent half-day tour of D Day sites”
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We booked NST online for a half-day tour of the American beaches and cemetery. We left Paris on the morning train, met our guide at 1:00 , and returned to the station before the evening train back to Paris. This is a great tour for people like us who don't want to pack up and leave their Paris hotel to spend a longer time in Normandy.

Our guide, Francis, was personable and extremely knowledgeable about the DDay battles. He grew up in the area and is obviously interested in WWII events, and he shared that enthusiasm with us and the other 6 people on the tour, a very congenial group. Francis had a folder of maps and photos to illustrate his descriptions of the various sites. His descriptions were interesting to me (not a history buff) but also detailed enough for my husband (who is). Although we could have driven ourselves to the same sites, we would have missed so much of the stories of DDay if we hadn't taken a guided tour.

The cemetery was very moving and I am thankful that we decided to include this day in Normandy with NST in our trip to France.

Visited June 2011