“Don't see the DDay sites without Edward Robinson!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Battle of Normandy Tours

Battle of Normandy Tours
Ranked #10 of 36 Tours in Bayeux
More attraction details
Owner description: A Private Military Tour Guide service for Personalized tours of the D-Day Landing Beaches and other Second World War Battle sites in Normandy
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
San Diego, California
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Don't see the DDay sites without Edward Robinson!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

My sister and I took my dad and his grand kids (ages 2 and 4) to Normandy to tour the area and see the D-Day beaches. My dad is a bit of a WWII history buff and was skeptical of tours as he was afraid the guides wouldn't know what they were taking about. I found Edward on Tripadvisor and am glad I did! He picked us up at the hotel, made us feel welcome (including my cranky 2 year old nephew) and shared stories that made me wish I booked another day. His enthusiasm made the stories come alive. He knew the area like the back of his hand and was chocked full of knowledge that made father was even impressed. Book him early as he is a popular guide. He brought his dog -Plato-along so my niece and nephew were even engaged and did not cause too much trouble even at the American cemetery where we had to be respectful. When we go back, we will contact Edward.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Ali_law71

Melville, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Normandy Tour Doesn't Get Better Than Edward Robinson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

We didn't receive a tour so much as we were transported back in time to the desperate days of the D-Day invasion. Edward Robinson is a poet at heart and his poetry oozes out with description after detail after photograph. We experienced Pointe Du Hoc, Omaha Beach, the American Cemetery and more, boring into bunkers, penetrating pillboxes and imagining the sands leaping with 50 caliber bullets, the earth shaking from the bombardment. Edward was like a re-enactor, explaining the unfolding of the battle as it happened site by site, (patiently answering my questions along the way), and made it come alive. We ate in a lovely, inexpensive roadside place with excellent food and wine that my wife, a New Zealander who knows excellent food and wine, still talks about. Edward later took us out of his way so we could get a glimpse of the Bayeux Tapestry. Thanks Edward for a memorable time spent in another time. I can't imagine a more knowledgeable ( I have a History degree myself) or a more accomodating guide.

Visited November 2011
2 Thank J S
Portland, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Ed Robinson's Battle of Normandy Tours brought D-Day to life!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Following a business trip to London, a friend suggested that we take time to visit Normandy, site of the D-Day invasion. Since neither of us had ever visited Normandy, or even France, we decided to engage the services of a guide.

In anticipation of our visit, I read numerous reviews and quickly settled on Ed Robinson's Battle of Normandy Tours as our first choice. I sent Ed a message via his Website, www.battleofnormandytours.com, to inquire about his availability and heard back from him right away. Ed was extremely helpful in providing detailed guidance on our travels from London to Bayeux, where he met us, and from Bayeux to Paris for our flights home. He also followed up with a phone call to review the information in detail. In a word, he was outstanding.

We engaged Ed's services for a day-and-a-half; and, through his anticipation and expert planning, he helped us get the most out of our tour. He anticipated our needs, everything from food to rest stops, and was attentive to our every request. It quickly became clear that Ed had a vision for what we could accomplish during our time together. He proved to be a master story-teller, going beyond the history lesson, and making every aspect of the story come alive. His delivery was rapid-fire; he talked as he drove us from site to site and as we walked the different battlefields that comprised the invasion. Like any good teacher, he asked questions, often prodding us with hints to the answers. Ed is clearly a student of military history and of human nature.

As we drove from place to place, when time permitted, Ed would stop and show us some little nugget of the D-Day story that we easily could have missed, something off the beaten path, but that added immeasurably to the story. He would also provide a foreshadowing of aspects of the battlefield that would become the focus of our attention either later in the day or the next day. Like most teachers, he was not without opinions, something I've learned from more than three decades in and around higher education. What an extraordinary classroom!

One of the things I especially appreciated was that Ed provided us with quiet time as we visited the American Cemetery and St. Mere-Eglise. He was there when we needed him and had questions; but, he also gave us time to be reflective and meditate on the things we had seen.

If I ever return to Normandy to continue the tour, it will be in Ed's company. I would also recommend him enthusiastically to friends who will be visiting the area. It is hard to imagine a more knowledgeable, energetic, thoughtful, and cheerful guide. For us, he was a perfect fit.

Two thumbs up!

Visited January 2012
10 Thank Kit M
La Quinta, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Ed's dramatic flair brings Normandy history to life!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Our tour of Normandy was better than any of our greatest expectations, all thanks to our witty, knowledgeable, humourous and fabulously dramatic guide, Edward Robinson. We spent 8-9 hours our first day with Ed and there was never a dull moment nor did we actually want the day to end! None of us have ever enjoyed a tour as much as we enjoyed our time with Ed. He brought the rich history of Normandy to life within our imagination as he told us wonderfully interesting stories strewn with amazing facts about what happened on those historical days. We all commented that had we attempted to do a self tour of the area, we would have been deeply disappointed. If you are visiting Normandy, you MUST visit the area with Ed - he's worth every Euro!

Visited October 2011
3 Thank Patty M
Paris, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Edward Robinson is an extraordinary guide and historian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

My wife's father landed on Omaha Beach on D+32 and fought in the hedgerows and St. Lo. She and I had never before been to Normandy and had very limited time--less than a day--to see and learn all we could. After spending considerable time researching tours we contacted Edward Robinson. He did substantial research on my father in law's unit, sent us enormously helpful background information before we left for France and made sure he understood precisely what we were looking for. The result was a once in a lifetime personal tour during which Edward led us on a highly customized tour of Omaha Beach, the hedgerows and St. Lo. He identified an area where there was intense fighting and introduced us to a Norman farmer on whose land my wife's father quite probably fought. We were stunned by Edward's knowledge, research, ability to customize a tour to meet our needs, etc. It was costly, but well worth the price. If you can make a personal tour work, we highly, highly recommend it! We would hire Edward again in a heartbeat!

Visited December 2011