“Trip of a Lifetime” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Battle of Normandy Tours

Battle of Normandy Tours
Ranked #10 of 36 Tours in Bayeux
More attraction details
Owner description: A Private Military Tour Guide service for Personalized tours of the D-Day Landing Beaches and other Second World War Battle sites in Normandy
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Stuttgart, Germany
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Trip of a Lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Mr. Robinson's tour was fabulous. If Trip Advisor would let me give him a "10", I would. We booked a private, all day tour, and we were on the go from 9am to almost 6pm. Mr. Robinson is an amazing historian and weaves the facts of D-Day into an incredible, interactive experience. We drove all over the area, explored Pont du Hoc, stood on the beaches (Omaha and Utah), walked the streets, sat in the churches, climbed into bunkers (seriously, wear good, supportive shoes, preferably hiking boots!) and experienced more than we ever thought possible. We asked to tailor the tour a bit to include the Army divisions that my Grandfathers and Great Uncles fought in, the result was simply amazing.

Rochester, New York
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Unforgettable Visit to Normandy thanks to Edward Robinson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

This will be a two-part review. I'll share my thoughts and, then, my husband will share his. You'll see why this is appropriate as you read.

I was attracted to Ed because I had read a review that described the extra-ordinary lengths Ed went to to create a unique visit for a couple, one of whom had a father who had been killed in the D-Day invasion. After reading this, I hoped Ed would use that same energy to create an appropriate tour for us since my husband is almost blind. (He can distinguish light and dark but that's about it.) The result exceeded expectations!

Over the course of two days, Ed took us places that made D-Day events come alive for both me and for my husband. Want to better understand the challenges posed by the hedgerows? Ed knows a place where the terrain looks and feels as it did 70 years ago. Ask a question and Ed will combine facts and human interest stories to help you understand fully.

If you're someone who has a specialized interest or will be traveling with a multi-generational group, or deals with any special physical situation, you can choose Ed Robinson with confidence. (Just be prepared for a dry wit and sometimes saltier than average language.)

My husband's review:

My wife and I recently took a two-day private tour of Normandy using Ed Robinson as our tour guide. It was an outstanding experience, from beginning to end. Ed pointed us to a number of excellent books which we read prior to our trip. He also gave a lot of thought to how he would approach the tour considering the fact that I am almost blind. Ed found numerous opportunities to give me touch tours. In particular, he provided forensic ballistic analyses of how various German bunkers were destroyed. He was attentive to my navigational needs, ensuring that I knew where to look to use my limited vision and to avoid getting into trouble on irregular terrain and places where I might have hit my head. (When Ed advises you to wear hiking books, listen to him. We were glad we did!)

His depth of knowledge was extraordinary and his communication skills were great. We would not hesitate to recommend Ed as a private guide to normally sighted individuals, but feel Ed has both the skills and the dedication to create a meaningful experience for guests with limited vision.

Ed has a strong and fun personality, oftentimes irreverent. This was just fine for my wife an me, but some individuals could be turned off by his manner. If you enjoy engaging with and sometimes sparring with tour guides, Ed is your man. If you prefer a more straightforward, and deferential tour experience, you might want to choose someone else.

Ed says he likes dealing with clients who pose challenges to how he delivers the tour. The evidence we saw supports that. What Ed promises, Ed delivers.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank PetNitNoy
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A tour to remember...excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Edward took me on a tour of the Canadian and British sectors. He showed me areas/points of interest that are not in any standard tour guide. We spent a wonderful day and while driving, talking about WW2 and its historical consequences, etc. Edward knows his history, especially WW1 and 2.
I recommend anyone visiting Normandy to take at least a one day tour with Edward. You will not regret it.

Peter Dailly (Vancouver, BC, Canada)

4 Thank British077
Orlando, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Don't miss having Edward Robinson make Normandy come alive!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband have already told friend and family to book Normandy tours and Edward to make their trip fascinating . We would rate our experience a 10 on a scale of 1 to 5 !! He more than exceeded expectations.

1 Thank Deb8148
Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“An afternoon of insight, interest, education and good humour.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Ed is a sublime and exceptional tour guide with all the attributes one would want. A dry and sharp wit, a keen intellect and a natural story teller. Combine these with a near encyclopedic knowledge of the battles, locations and the human stories of the Normandy campaign and you have a day that simply is one of the best battlefield tour experiences that you could enjoy. A wonderful time was had by our group who ranged in age from 81 to 24. i really cannot recommend this enough to anyone hoping to understand the events of 1944.

Visited March 2014