“American Cemetery at Normandy”

Battle of Normandy Tours
Ranked #11 of 41 Tours in Bayeux
More attraction details
Owner description: A Private Military Tour Guide service for Personalized tours of the D-Day Landing Beaches and other Second World War Battle sites in Normandy
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I arranged a private tour of the American cemetery at Normandy to pay my respects at the gravesite of my uncle who is buried there. He died as part of the American D-Day liberation forces. I had preordered a wreath to lay at his grave and it was waiting for me when I arrived on April 1, 2014. The staff at the visitor center were very respectful and courteous. They had an extensive brochure for me to have. I was able to view the raising of the US flags before visiting my uncle's grave. I was allowed to place photos of him and family members on the wreath during the picture taking. I was given the American and French flags that decorated the wreath as mementos to take home with me. The visit was handled with dignity and honor and I was able to stay as long as I wanted.

2  Thank Rosemary S

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Ed has an amazing knowledge of not only the history of D-day, but history period! We spent an entire day touring Point Du Hoc, Omaha Beach,Utah Beach, the US Cemetery, and so more! It flew by. I thought I knew a lot and I learned so much more. I strongly advise you to let Ed free lance your tour, you won't be disappointed . A+++. Thank you, Ed!

2  Thank EPJ56
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Just being in the area was an amazing experience! My friend spent time with Ed two years ago and wanted to provide me and his daughter the same experience June 7 & 8, 2014. Ed picked us up at the farm house where we were staying early on the 7th of June. in the time we spent with him, we saw some remarkable things. Places your mind imagined from reading books, magazines, seeing in black & white photos taken during or right after the events of the Battle for Normandy and in movies. Nothing compares to what was seen by being there and standing on spots where events took place and the world was changed forever. We traveled with our WWII Veteran friend, a member of the 101st, 506th Easy Company. He and his daughter made the experience for us much more rewarding. Something that impressed me about Ed right off the bat was that he was deeply knowledgeable about the area's history beyond the WWII battle. He had knowledge of the buildings around our tour that were equally interesting as they were older than much of what we have the States. This gives the tour much more depth than just reviewing the places and events that happened here during the battle that took place 70 years ago. it's been noted in other reviews that Ed has amazing language skills. He has an ability to blend or stand out. He's able to get you into locations and immerse you in the place in a way that you can't do as a regular unguided tourist. Food in a restaurant for lunch, ask him! He'll help you choose from often times, confusing menus. Another thing I'd like to mention, Ed knows much more about the WWII subject than just the Battle for Normandy. He's aware and very well educated on what was happening in England before, during and after this battle. He is fully aware of what was going on in Italy and on the Eastern Front during this battle. All had an impact on the events here. As army groups, division, units and individual men fought and died to win or loose a battle, Ed can take you to the moment. If you plan to go on tour in this region and want to learn what really happened here, walk with Ed. His energy and delivery are memorable! I want to go back and spend more time with him and discover more that I didn't know.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

With a life-long interest in military history, a tour of Normandy has long been a dream of mine. We took our kids to Europe to familiarize them with traveling in foreign countries as well to celebrate a high-school graduation, 25th wedding anniversary and our last "big trip" as a family.

We booked Ed for a full-day tour. As we were staying in Paris, he arranged to meet us in Carentan on the 10:40 train. Our train from Paris left 12 minutes late so we missed our 10 minute connection in Caen. A frantic phone call to Ed later and we arranged to meet him in Bayeux where we would brainstorm to find a way to save the rest of our day. At the cafe', I stood outside looking for him. It was pouring down rain and a man who looks like the actor Paul Bettany came running up and introduced himself as Ed. After helping us order a quick lunch in his fluent French, we set off on our tour.

Ed is, as advertised, not "politically correct" but you would have to have VERY thin-skinned to find his manner offensive. As he drove us from Bayeux to Omaha Beach area, he pointed out sites along the way. It quickly became clear that Ed knows the area intimately and has experience in guiding people around.

My wife is a true shutterbug and will stop to take pictures of everything. Ed politely but pointedly told her that, if she continually stopped to take pictures, we would not get to see everything he wanted to show us. He urged her to trust him and promised that he would make sure that she got all the shots she could possibly want of all the "important stuff". As we went along, he often suggested that she stand in a certain place and point her camera in a certain direction to get the best possible shot. He was right on the money, every time. She quickly came to trust him and follow his advice and our pictures are very memorable.

Without going into detail, Ed went WAY out of his way to give us a tour that exceeded our expectations and, at the end of the day and without being asked, gave me a VERY fair refund because he was only able to spend a half-day with us instead of the full day for which we had paid. That kind of honesty and integrity is very refreshing and told me much about Ed's character.

While I may not have agreed with EVERY one of Ed's conclusions, I have to say that his positions on various subjects are well thought-out and based on extensive research. He gave me much food for thought and allowed me to gain "ground-truth" about locations I had only read about in the past. He helped me understand Pointe-Du-Hoc and Omaha Beach as I never have before and never would have been able to without expert guidance. Our sons, ages 18 and 22, thoroughly enjoyed Ed's company and his narration. My wife, who is NOT a history buff, also enjoyed his tour very much and felt like she gained a new appreciation for a subject which fascinates me but has mystified her in the past.

I take great joy in strongly recommending Ed's services if you want a knowledgeable guide who won't sugar-coat anything about the subject of war at its most intense. If you have young children, he's not your guy. But, otherwise, do give him a call. You won't regret it.

4  Thank CalvinGrad
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I've been to Normandy many times (both personally and with the British Army) and it was great at last to be shown as much of the beaches and historic locations as we could manage in a day. Ed is certainly very knowledgable and I left feeling that I know so much more about the history and locations than I ever did before.

1  Thank Paullondon1971