“Want to know about the Battle of Normandy?”

Battle of Normandy Tours
Ranked #11 of 40 Tours in Bayeux
More attraction details
Owner description: A Private Military Tour Guide service for Personalized tours of the D-Day Landing Beaches and other Second World War Battle sites in Normandy
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Ed Robinson is a terrific guide for you if you have no previous knowledge of this important part of our history. Engaging, full of good humour and widely read. Although we had visited some sites in the area previously - the Pointe Du Hoc was really an eye-opener in every way. On another stop of our tour with him we found his D Day Honey and found that it is the best thing ever! However, you should be aware that the Pointe Du Hoc can be an extremely windy and, at times, wet and can be a bit slippery under foot - so the right clothing is essential - even if it is taken and not used!! Think twice if you need help with walking - but discuss your options with Ed first - he will do his utmost to ensure that you have the best possible experience. Check with him about fees and his recommended length of visit.

2  Thank Gilly S

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We had Ed Robinson as our tour guide for our Battle of Normandy Private tour. The tour was fantastic! By the end of the Tour my knowledge of the Battle of Normandy was much greater than when we set out. The Tour We decided to do was the half day tour. The tour started at 9:00 am sharp and finished at 1:00 pm. First off we took a look around the D-Day Museum in Omaha beach. Next we drove to Point Du Hoc where we spent 1 hour and a half looking through bunkers, finding actual shrapnel pieces, and overall learning about the history of D-Day.
We finished the tour off by Learning more about Omaha Beach. Ed was a fantastic tour guide - with lots of character! We where worried that the tour may be too long/short but the timing was perfect. I strongly recommend this tour. For four people on a private tour it was quite expensive - 350 Euros, however it was definitely worth it. Be prepared to say yes or no to a tip!

4  Thank Happyhorsereveiws
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I arranged a private tour of the American cemetery at Normandy to pay my respects at the gravesite of my uncle who is buried there. He died as part of the American D-Day liberation forces. I had preordered a wreath to lay at his grave and it was waiting for me when I arrived on April 1, 2014. The staff at the visitor center were very respectful and courteous. They had an extensive brochure for me to have. I was able to view the raising of the US flags before visiting my uncle's grave. I was allowed to place photos of him and family members on the wreath during the picture taking. I was given the American and French flags that decorated the wreath as mementos to take home with me. The visit was handled with dignity and honor and I was able to stay as long as I wanted.

2  Thank Rosemary S
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Ed has an amazing knowledge of not only the history of D-day, but history period! We spent an entire day touring Point Du Hoc, Omaha Beach,Utah Beach, the US Cemetery, and so more! It flew by. I thought I knew a lot and I learned so much more. I strongly advise you to let Ed free lance your tour, you won't be disappointed . A+++. Thank you, Ed!

2  Thank EPJ56
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Just being in the area was an amazing experience! My friend spent time with Ed two years ago and wanted to provide me and his daughter the same experience June 7 & 8, 2014. Ed picked us up at the farm house where we were staying early on the 7th of June. in the time we spent with him, we saw some remarkable things. Places your mind imagined from reading books, magazines, seeing in black & white photos taken during or right after the events of the Battle for Normandy and in movies. Nothing compares to what was seen by being there and standing on spots where events took place and the world was changed forever. We traveled with our WWII Veteran friend, a member of the 101st, 506th Easy Company. He and his daughter made the experience for us much more rewarding. Something that impressed me about Ed right off the bat was that he was deeply knowledgeable about the area's history beyond the WWII battle. He had knowledge of the buildings around our tour that were equally interesting as they were older than much of what we have the States. This gives the tour much more depth than just reviewing the places and events that happened here during the battle that took place 70 years ago. it's been noted in other reviews that Ed has amazing language skills. He has an ability to blend or stand out. He's able to get you into locations and immerse you in the place in a way that you can't do as a regular unguided tourist. Food in a restaurant for lunch, ask him! He'll help you choose from often times, confusing menus. Another thing I'd like to mention, Ed knows much more about the WWII subject than just the Battle for Normandy. He's aware and very well educated on what was happening in England before, during and after this battle. He is fully aware of what was going on in Italy and on the Eastern Front during this battle. All had an impact on the events here. As army groups, division, units and individual men fought and died to win or loose a battle, Ed can take you to the moment. If you plan to go on tour in this region and want to learn what really happened here, walk with Ed. His energy and delivery are memorable! I want to go back and spend more time with him and discover more that I didn't know.