“Like ten years ago, he is great!”

Battle of Normandy Tours
Ranked #11 of 41 Tours in Bayeux
More attraction details
Owner description: A Private Military Tour Guide service for Personalized tours of the D-Day Landing Beaches and other Second World War Battle sites in Normandy
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I first saw Ed ten years ago when I pulled him from the Caen Museam. As a US Park Ranger at the time, I realized that most Museam folks know way more than they have time to talk about. He spoke to my mother and I over lunch and accepted my offer to pay him for a two day tour. In any case, the following two days were great! Earlier this month I found myself with my nephew in Normady again. I found Ed and he was full of more information to tell me. I did not ask for a tour, but for him, it is his calling! Over lunch he went to his car and got some harmless weapons to show my nephew who is weapons expert. My Nephew was hooked. Ed is great, but not stuffy or formal. I, as a military LTC, can see how some stiff folks might get a little lost In his excitement. However, if you can accept someone who gives you their all and is honest...then Ed is the best.

6  Thank Eagle25251

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We just finished a two-day tour with Ed around several different D-Day battle sites. I can't say enough about just how knowledgeable he is. Really, all the good things other reviewers have written about him are absolutely true. I could go on and on, but I'll just be repeating what others have already said so well.

The trip was a 70th birthday present for my dad, a huge WWII history buff, and he was just delighted the whole time. Ed has a way of bringing the history of Normandy to life through his storytelling and the extensive amount of detail he includes. I can't imagine anyone doing a tour any better. I will be eternally grateful for Ed's help making a longtime dream of my dad's come true.

Pro tip: bring a good sense of humor, a willingness to go with the flow, and good walking shoes, and you'll have the absolute time of your life with Ed.

2  Thank tigerlily11
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Great service but with a warning at the end. First there are some amazingly good things to say. I told Ed I wanted a tour, but he was going to be off, entertaining some friends from out of the country when I would be there. When I told him my dad was involved in the invasion, he offered to take time away from his friends and give me and my family a private tour. The tour was specifically designed to hit the highlights and focus on my particular interest. At the end of the tour, he covered what he wanted to, and because we were done a little early, he knocked off $100 euros. Very unexpected and kind. Also, he had done specific research on my father's unit and was able to give me details I really could not have found out on my own. He was knowledgeable, punctual and had good insights into the how and the why as well as the what. BUT, he also insisted it be done his way. He trucked no questions, and when asked indicated it would all be clear at the end. At times it was clear he had done this a million times before, and he almost seemed bored by it all. Finally, he was not shy about sharing his views while eschewing "political correctness" and he is clearly opinionated. I had read another review which didn't like his calling kids lazy and maggots, and I had prepared my grandson, to accept this in good fun. BUT, if this kind of thing bothers you, you probably should think twice about using this service. I would definitely recommend him, but understand what you get. He is going to do do it his way and if you can accept that, you will learn an awful lot of very good information. Also, you really should use some kind of a tour here, because there is so much information a guide is really a great idea. Hope this helps you make up your mind!

14  Thank drwiz
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Ed Robinson is a terrific guide for you if you have no previous knowledge of this important part of our history. Engaging, full of good humour and widely read. Although we had visited some sites in the area previously - the Pointe Du Hoc was really an eye-opener in every way. On another stop of our tour with him we found his D Day Honey and found that it is the best thing ever! However, you should be aware that the Pointe Du Hoc can be an extremely windy and, at times, wet and can be a bit slippery under foot - so the right clothing is essential - even if it is taken and not used!! Think twice if you need help with walking - but discuss your options with Ed first - he will do his utmost to ensure that you have the best possible experience. Check with him about fees and his recommended length of visit.

2  Thank Gilly S
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We had Ed Robinson as our tour guide for our Battle of Normandy Private tour. The tour was fantastic! By the end of the Tour my knowledge of the Battle of Normandy was much greater than when we set out. The Tour We decided to do was the half day tour. The tour started at 9:00 am sharp and finished at 1:00 pm. First off we took a look around the D-Day Museum in Omaha beach. Next we drove to Point Du Hoc where we spent 1 hour and a half looking through bunkers, finding actual shrapnel pieces, and overall learning about the history of D-Day.
We finished the tour off by Learning more about Omaha Beach. Ed was a fantastic tour guide - with lots of character! We where worried that the tour may be too long/short but the timing was perfect. I strongly recommend this tour. For four people on a private tour it was quite expensive - 350 Euros, however it was definitely worth it. Be prepared to say yes or no to a tip!

4  Thank Happyhorsereveiws