“Pleasant meal after hot day in Bayeux. ”
Review of Il Bellagio - CLOSED

Il Bellagio
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Went into this restaurant as it opened for the evening. Having now read some of the gripes from previous diners, I am pleased to say I received good service from an English (Geordie) waiter.

I chose a 3-course meal, plus coffee, and was promptly served throughout, as well as being topped up with plenty of iced water.

No complaints from me !

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We had eaten big meals the previous two evenings so we all decided that pizza or something like that was what we wanted. We had eaten at the place beside here the night before and it seemed busy so we thought we would give it a try.
We got a table near the back by the bar and the kitchen. We were served after a few minutes and sat back waiting for the food- we all ordered pizza. I was facing the kitchen hatch and the bar area beside the hatch and I noticed a conflab a few minutes after we had ordered. There seemed to be a lot of confusion amongst the staff.
The waitress who served us- I think she may have been the owner/manager came down to us and explained that they had run out of mozzarella cheese as they had sold so many pizzas. They were getting more and she asked did we mind waiting. We all work or worked in the restaurant business so we understand these things happen.
We kept chatting and after a while one of my friends said- look out the window. We looked out and we could see the manager, all the kitchen and floor staff bar our waiter and someone in the kitchen outside all having a smoke. I thought it was odd that they were all doing this when we were still waiting for our food.
I saw the lone waiter, who didnt serve us, take two pizzas down to a table from the hatch. He came back and brought three pizzas down to us. We waited for him to bring the other two pizzas and when they didnt materialise, we called him and asked could we get the other two pizzas. He ran out the back and spoke to the kitchen and then to the manager.
She came to our table and apologised. She said the chef had burned two of the pizzas and could the two people who didnt have their food order pasta or soemthing else instead. My two friends said fine and she produced the menu. They quickly picked two pastas and she ordered them. We ate our pizzas and when we were halfway through, the pastas arrived. She apologised again and said those two main courses and the second bottle of cider were on the house.
My friends didnt enjoy the pasta dishes as the pasta wasnt hot. However they ate what they had as they were hungry and didnt want to make a scene.
We had coffees and then left.
To be fair to the manager, she was prompt in coming to us once the mistake happened and she did comp the replacement food and a bottle of cider. However I do think the mistake would nt have happened if she had stayed and ensured that we all received our food after our long wait. I found the staff to be friendly and the pizzas were good. However the service did seem a bit confused.

1  Thank Gary W
Reviewed 31 October 2013

My mom and I ordered a pizza to split. The pizza was good, with ham, cheese, and olives. They also brought some oil to the table. Beware! I think there were red pepper flakes in it! :) It was good but HOT! We had a 4 euro charge for sharing a pizza. This was the first time we had encounted this "sharing" charge in France (however, I know it is not uncommon in the US). Because the pizza was so hot and our mouths were on fire, we had to order ice cream. :) My mom got the chocolate ice cream and it was divine. Very dark and delicious. And I had something similar to a Molton lava cake with ice cream. Yum. The service was good. However, they did not speak a lot of English (understandable since we were in France). Just an FYI.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

After our dinner at this temple of mediocrity, I am reluctantly giving it a 1 purely based on the fact the building wasn't on fire.

Service was slow, the only shining star was the nicer older woman who seemed to be the one employee who gave a damn about our dinner. Our waitress was short with us, scowling, rolling her eyes, deeply sighing, and interrupting us constantly as we tried to order. Might be worth noting we speak passable French, enough to vacation here for months at a time, especially in a restaurant setting...

The food was bland and we were forced to heavily season our plates, something I rarely if ever have to do in France.

Out waitress seemed to be more interested in smoking a cig outside the front door than taking care of us. We walked to the place from our hotel and would have had a hell of a lot more wine if she would have at least glanced out our table from time to time. We are quite used to long french dinners, but having dirty plates on our table for over an hour was a new one. Perhaps it was because of the massive crowd eating there? Nope, there were only 2 other tables at 8pm.

Very sad we bothered to eat here at all. A better meal and experience would have been cold sandwiches from the corner market. As a once professional chef, I was incredibly insulted by this meal.

1  Thank MalachiUri
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Myself and my family visited this restaurant, without reservation on a Tuesday evening in August 2013. We were quickly seated and our drinks order was taken. They had no rum which was wasn't the end of the world but that's when things started to go very wrong.

We ordered pizza and pasta dishes. The pizzas arrived after a very long wait - about 45 mins. Our waitress explained that they had been burned in the oven twice and had to be re-cooked. OK - at least she was honest enough to admit there had been a problem. We could have overlooked that. But we had to wait another 15 or 20 mins before the rest of the meals arrived.

Now this really drives me crazy - when I go out to eat, I like all the meals to be served together, so everyone can eat together and others don't have to watch while I or others finish their food. I'm not sure what the delay in the pasta dishes was (surely it's not rocket science to have the pasta ready with the pizza) and we were offered no explanation and no apology.

And to add insult to injury, my pasta dish of seafood tagliatelle arrived cold. It was bland and tasteless. I asked the waitress to re-heat it. Again, no apology was offered and moments later she handed it back to me with no comment.

My teenage daughter noticed that only three dishes seemed to come from the kitchen at any one time. I'm not sure how big the kitchen (it's a small enough premises) but it was very clear as the restaurant started to fill to capacity, that those who arrived later, were going to have a very, very long wait for food.

Overall a negative experience at this restaurant both in terms of the quality of the food and particularly the service. The impact of problems can very often be compensated for by good waiting staff but I'm afraid both staff members on the night showed absolutely no interest in engaging with customers in terms of problems with the kitchen or service.