“Ike Liked It, We Didn't”
Review of Le Lion d'Or

Le Lion d'Or
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Bayeux
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed there last September after staying at two other hotels in Bayeux. This was the most expensive of the 3, but by no means the nicest. I read that Ike used this hotel as his headquarters after D-Day and I got the feeling that nothing has been updated since thern. I think Ike walked on the same carpet that I did...not a good thing. The word "threadbare" came to mind. The staff was nice, but the hotel was disappointing.

Our room faced the courtyard, so it was nosier, as noted by other reviewers. We also had to pay an extra 10 Euros per night for parking. (Adding insult to injury...) There was a bicycle tour group staying there, and they were up bright and early loading up in the aforementioned courtyard...noisy.

We did not sample the restaurant, but Ike said they have the best wine cellar in Normandy. I can't confirm or refute that, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Our room had worn and damaged carpet in desperate need of replacement, plus peeling paint and mold in the bathroom. The bathroom was not inviting. Lots of maintenance issues. By the time we got to Bayeux we had stayed in a varirety of French hotels and B&B's, and I have to say that this hotel did not live up to the expectation set by the price. We liked The Churchill and the Hotel d'Argouges in Bayeux, both really nice and less expensive.

Room Tip: Don't take a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard P

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Comfortable well established hotel. Room was large but overlooking courtyard and so a bit noisy with early risers. Bathroom clean and spacious. We don't eat breakfast but the evening meal was very well presented, both our starters were too small but overall a very nice meal. We often don't bother with a desert but make sure you do so here, the deserts were exceptional.

I couldn't find any front desk staff when I wanted them a couple of times and I noticed other people having the same problem with members of hotel staff walking straight past. Not something I expect in a hotel of this quality. Parking is expensive for motorcycles. Not a big thing but neither I nor the staff could get the wi fi to work on my blackberry.

We stayed here with the purpose of visiting the Normandy Landing museun at Arromanches about 20 mins away. A must see for all ages.

Room Tip: Courtyard view rooms can be noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ray H
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights while on a bicycling vacation through Normandy. It is a lovely older facility. Room was a tad small but comfortable. Remember, European hotel rooms are generally smaller than we American are accustomed to. Nothing luxurious, but as said, comfortable. Clean.

Good location. Well within walking distance of the sites of Bayeux - cathedral, tapestry museum in particular - and numerous places to dine.

Service and staff, very good and helpful. Location, even tho in the heart of Bayeux, was quiet through the night. No AC, so our window was open through the night.

One concern is that there is no elevator. So if stairs are a concern, be forewarned. Our room was on the 4th floor (or 3rd by European counting). A bit of a climb.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed for one saturday night in this hotel. Rooms somewhat outdated but adequate. We missed an elevator. Reception staff very friendly and helped with luggage bringing to the room. In the evening we had a wonderful culinairy experience in the hotel's restaurant, which was topped off by a 40 years old Calvados with the coffee. A last point of interest: the personally signed photographs of celebreties like Eisenhower, Omar Bradley and Churchill (to name a few) in the lounge/bar. We'lll be back!

Room Tip: No. tips available.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The hotel is very well situated and quiet. There was a charming man named Eric who came out of the dining room to greet us, and checked us in and insisted upon carrying our bags to our room. He then got us a table in the restaurant, which was fully booked, and as we had dinner, learned that he also worked in the restaurant. He was so helpful and lovely, a welcome break for weary travelers with 2 kids in tow. I would say that the place does seem understaffed, but with a guy like Eric, they're in pretty decent shape.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Chrisboals
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Quick summary: a very spacious room almost devoid of furniture. Internet issues. No elevator. Room keys at desk often left unattended. The hotel has potential, but probably needs new management. Central location to many Bayeux attractions and restaurants, and close to Normandy beaches.

We stayed 4 nights in Room 20, a the top of the stairs. Two twin beds pushed together to form a king, reasonably comfortable but not exceptional. The view is over the enclosed courtyard.

There is no elevator in the hotel, which is okay by us, but FYI.

A basic problem is that in this spacious room, there is almost to place to store your clothes and other stuff. There is some hanging closet space, but of the 3 shelves in the closet, 2 have safes that do not work. You read that right -- the desk clerk said that they are broken because "customers break them. None of the safes in the guest rooms work." So why not take them out and give guests some storage space?

Other than a table that functions as a small desk and a desk chair, there is no other furniture in the room other than small platforms by the bed as night tables -- no drawers. Okay, we'll work out of our suitcases, but we need another luggage stand. 'Sorry -- only one luggage stand per room, and the hotel is full, so no extra luggage stands. We felt like we were crashing in a dorm room.

Spacious bathroom with the toilet in a separate little closet -- on the other side of the room. Thin towels. The only toiletry was a bottle of shampoo/shower gel set about 4 feet up from the combination bathtub/shower. Problem: round-bottom narrow tub, and there is no "hook" on which to affix the shower -- anyone using the tub would have to stand up in a round-bottom tub to get some soap. I asked for packets of soap/shampoo to avoid slipping when getting up and down.

Free wifi works well when it works. However, we kept getting messages that we "used up" our internet, could not accommodate more than one device, and had to renew it -- sometimes given a room number that still did not work. We travel extensively, and know when this is a basically poor IT set-up.

Housekeeping was excellent.

A real security issue: guests are required (as is custom many places) to leave the room key. However, they are in a very open location, and I came by many times when no one was near the desk. I could have easily taken another room key.

Breakfast sounded good, but it ends at 9:30. Since we often slept in until 9 or later, and don't like coming in at the last minute, we ate elsewhere.

Parking fiasco: we can deal with tight spaces. We reserved a space. However, the hotel does not keep track of car registrations and allows restaurant guests to also park in the crowded lot. This means that cars are often blocked in, and you might not have a space available that you reserved.

We came back one night near 10, only to find "our" labeled space taken by another car. We asked that they contact that guest to have them move it. Since they do not collect registrations, they could not do this. The young man from mgt said that "Someone told us that you had already parked your car." I asked "Who -- which car did they think we had?" No answer, except "the black car."

There was only a half-space available. It was obvious that we would box someone in in the morning, and did not want to have to get up early to move the car. The young man insisted that the car could get out, when anyone could see that they could not. We asked if they would like our registration to keep track of the car -- no, they insisted that they did not. We got tired of the lame excuses. I hate to think of the situation if an emergency vehicle (fire truck?) needed to get in.

The restaurant gets good reviews, but by that time we were too ticked off with the whole situation that we dined elsewhere.

The lounge has may photos of celebs who have stayed in the past and seemed to have liked it. I'll bet there was at least more furniture in the rooms at the time.

The place just generally feels like it was once a good place to stay, but the management is cutting corners, e.g. here weren't even note pads or pen by the phone, cheap towels, etc.

I would not stay here again unless I heard that there was new management that made significant improvements. This was a real disappointment since we generally really enjoy historic hotels.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mme_X
Reviewed 6 July 2014

It isn't the worst place and, in fact, looked like it was the class act in Bayeux. The staff are pleasant and welcoming, but the prices are way too high. Bayeux is a charming place and we enjoyed our stay. The hotel restaurant was fine, but, once again, way too expensive.

Apart from the stiff tariffs, the place is shabby and none too clean, sort of an example of faded glory. I guess I would stay there again if I ever found myself on a return trip to Bayeux, but I wouldn't be thrilled about it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple