“Beautiful!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Bayeux
Bath, United Kingdom
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Fabulous old building that has maintained its charm whilst feeling very clean and sufficient for the modern traveller. Staff were superb and went out of their way to be helpful-very smiley folk who immediately put us at ease, despite my lack of French. Really relaxed atmosphere--seemed family run with a very personal touch. I didn't take the optional breakfast but it looked very good for a continental--instead I had coffee in the lovely intimate garden to the rear, complimentary refills were a nice touch. I would recommend this Hotel every time. If it had slightly more facilities, perhaps a pool it would definitely get 5* status!! Great value.

Room Tip: Our view of the rear garden was beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 999jamie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Maldon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Having spent 2 weeks in the Dordogne with my husband and parents we were homeward bound and organised this hotel very last minute for one night only, so that we could go to see the Bayeux Tapestry and the Normandy Landings beaches. It was by far the nicest place that we stayed on our trip to France. The location is perfect for exploring Bayeux and the welcome we received when we checked in was exceptional.

Our rooms where in a separate building at the side of the main hotel, which were originally the stables and maids quarters when the house was a private home. The rooms were decorated beautifully and the bathrooms very plush with lights that came on automatically when you walked in the room. The bed was so comfortable - it was the best night's sleep we had in the time we were away. The only down-side was that the room was very warm with no ability to cool it down other than opening a window which then meant that there was quite a lot of noise early in the morning from bottles being thrown in the bins at the back and people talking - but that wasn't a major issue for us.

Breakfast was excellent and all the staff extremely friendly, helpful and a pleasure to deal with. We would all thoroughly recommend this hotel, and in fact plan to go back to see more of the area at some stage - definitely using Hotel D'Argouges as our base.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I found this place thanks to Tripadvisor. It was everything the reviewers said it would be. The photos posted from other travelers were spot on. I loved the flower gardens and overall care of the property was superb. The room (28) we had was cozy and all we needed. The bathroom was newly remodeled. If there is a next time, I would ask for a higher room so we could open a window since there is no air conditioning. Luckily it was cool and comfy. I would have loved to have more time to play with the 2 adorable French bulldogs on staff! They were so well-behaved!

We opted for the morning breakfast. Here is where my review isn't as positive. We went into the dining area and it felt chaotic and slightly unorganized. There were a lot of people, which I understand however the waitress/coffee attendant approached us and seemed a bit frazzled. First, we speak very little French, and I said that to her. She asked us something more than once - which turns out she wanted to know our room number. We got that straightened out. It came time to find our way to the breakfast area, which had a nice mix of this and that. It appeared to have fresh eggs out but there was no way I was going to ask how to operate the appliance to prepare the egg. The attendant was not approachable at this point. Then came time for me to ask for cream for my coffee. The young lady was making her rounds table to table with the coffee pot. I asked for cream, she replied in French to me again. I had no idea what she was saying but she pointed in the next room. What would have been the harm in her simply bringing it to me? My husband went searching and found the cream. I was slightly embarrassing because clearly everyone else knew what she was saying. We loved the property and the kind lady who checked us in on the first day. You can take a chance on breakfast, however have your French ready!

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room #28, I would choose higher so you can open a window as there is no air co...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank FanofPaws
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife and I drove from Paris to Normandy for an overnight stay during the Easter holiday. It is a beautiful building just a few blocks from the center of town. We had a room on the second floor in the back. There is no elevator due to the age of the building so you will have to lift your luggage up the stairs.
Our room was large and the bed was wonderful. We slept with the window open and listened to the gentle sound of a spring rain as we slept. The bathroom was modern and we had no issue with hot water.
On Sunday morning, we had a lovely breakfast and then went to mass at Bayeux Cathedral

The staff was helpful and friendly and we were very satisfied with our stay

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank DFB69
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Visited this hotel for the second time. Lovely building and setting and very friendly staff. Do wish they would put a kettle in the room with tea and coffee though - every hotel has this facility. Even the ferry cabins have this facility!! And why no shower when there is a bath? (Well there is a shower fitting on the tap but no screen). Still, a very pleasant place to stay and recommended.

Stayed July 2014
Leawood, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We were welcomed into this hotel as if we were guests of the owners not just tourists. The rooms were very comfortable. Breakfast selection and setting were both nice. The outdoor patio is beautiful and inviting. The location is right by the market and all the old Bayeux places but you don't hear the noise because the home is set back into its own alcove. Will stay here anytime I visit Bayeux in the future.

Room Tip: A room looking out at the patio.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

My wife and I had lovely 2 days in this well located hotel with a pleasant and peaceful garden with seating.Easy walk to reach the main points of interest in Bayeux.Hotel staff were very welcoming and kind, breakfast is modest but sufficient.I recommend this hotel when visiting Bayeux and surroundings.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family