“The Best Regional Hotel Ever”
Review of Villa Lara Hotel

Villa Lara Hotel
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Bayeux
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I turned up at this Hotel in the middle of the night (about 12pm) having taken the last train from Paris to Bayeux. I was there to do a D-Day tour with Normandie D-Day Tours (see separate review) and Guillaume of that company recommended that I stay there.

I was exhausted when I finally got into my room and I was in for a magnificent surprise. The room kept going and going. There was a big bedroom and a big lounge/TV room and a massive bathroom - featuring a shower that is big enough for two, three or ten (if that is your thing). I found out on check out when I asked whether all the rooms were the same that I had booked the Junior Suite - and I recommend fellow travellers do the same.

The bed was very soft and the pillows were so good that I didn't even take the pillow I had brought from home out of my bag.

My tour was due to start with a 9am pickup the next day and I slept so well I only woke up at 845am. Cutting it close but I was sure it would be ok the following day. It wasn't and I did it again!

I didn't try the restaurant - sadly going to the dodgy pizza place nearby instead - but I am sure it is in keeping with the rest of the Hotel and is a beauty.

The staff were extremely courteous and helpful and I can't wait to go back there again.

It is without doubt the best regional hotel I have ever stayed at (anywhere) and it also puts some of the big city "luxury" hotels to shame.

PS. When I booked in the staff member showing me to my room said that the minibar was free. I was sure that he was making a mistake because of language differences but when I checked out I said that I had a bottle of water and, indeed, they said it was part of the room price. I have never seen that at any hotel before as they usually gouge you massively when you have had the courage to take a chocolate or drink from the area of temptation they put in your room. If you go there you had better check because I am not sure if it applies to all rooms but it was a very welcome surprise.

Room Tip: Go for the Junior Suite.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Villa Lara Hotel

Reviewed 17 November 2013

The Villa Lara is an outstanding hotel, well located in a pretty little town. The rooms and the overall hotel are of the very highest standard. The staff are excellent and have a very good command of English (one at least is American by birth). The hotel is located about 200 yards from the building holding the tapestry, and about a kilometre from the Cathedral. There are a number of eating locations (of all sorts) within 2 or 3 minutes walk, and there is secure parking. It's not particularly cheap but is certainly worth the money. We only stayed one night, but if I was spending some time in Basse Normandie there is where I would base myself.

Room Tip: Try for a room with a view of the Cathedral.
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night while visiting the areas and the D-Day sights. Hotel Villa Lara is fantastic. It's a small hotel with big style and fabulous service and very reasonable prices.

We stayed in a Deluxe room with shower and King Bed. Finding hotels in Europe with a King Bed is a feat in itself, but Villa Lara had true King beds, not just two small beds pushed together like some hotels. Our room was huge, very pretty and comfortable, with a seating area in addition to the bed. The bathroom was also large, but only had a shower, no tub. Everything in the bathroom and bedroom was very new, felt recently updated and modern. The shower was large enough for two.

There were lots of closets at the entry, a mini bar, safe and tv with movie channels etc. The bed was great, very comfy, the sheets were quite nice, soft pillows and warm. The room was very light and bright with lots of windows that opened to a courtyard.

Our room was a bit warm, even though it was quite cold outside we could not seem to turn down the heat so we left the windows open at night. Other than that, everything was perfect.

The lobby is quite charming and feels life a private home. There is a bar and lounge area as well. The breakfast room is fantastic and the breakfast is wonderful. In the morning they had a full spread of fresh baked goods, fruit, cereal, tea, coffee, yogurts and they made eggs to order. We had some of the best eggs we have ever had, the coffee was also excellent, it was like getting a freshly prepared breakfast at a home.

The staff of fabulous, friendly and helpful. They helped us confirm our tour pickup and gave great recommendations for local dining.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to this area.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AdventureTravelerEM
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Villa Lara is a lovely hotel with a delightful and most helpful staff. Both of us were sick upon arrival and the staff was immensely helpful in setting up a dr. appointment for us immediately upon request. The hotel is perfectly located with short walks to everything from the dr.'s office to the pharmacy, restaurants, cathedral and all of Bayeux's marvelous sights.
The hotel is beautiful and charming and, as others have said, offers civilized and relaxing hospitality. Highly recommend whenever staying in Bayeux!

Room Tip: Be sure to book a room with a view of the cathedral. We stayed in Room 202 and the view of the cath...
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Villa Lara was spectacular, from booking to check-out. Throughout the full stay, it was so nice to be treated as guests, not just customers. I can't recommend this hotel enough - such a relaxing and civilized atmosphere.
We stayed two nights on a weekend recently. The hotel itself is in a beautiful setting, and is supremely located for visits to the Cathedral and the Tapestry. All the D-day tour guides know it, so it is easy to have your guide pick you up here. Umbrellas are provided, no need to pack your own.
We loved the slippers (to die for), the drinks in the fridge, the lovely room service, the warm cheerful fire in the lounge, and the nibbles with the drinks.... For travelers trying to maximize their tour hours and value, you will be happy to note breakfast is offered from 7 am til 10:30 - wow! The only quibble - our room (110) did not have a hairdryer.... Thank goodness it didn't have a bathtub, or we never would have left the room.
Our favorite feature was the alpaca blanket on the bed. I will be contacting the hotel to find out their supplier post haste!

Room Tip: Ask for one that overlooks the Cathedral.
Reviewed 12 November 2013

The best hospitality hotel so far in France , very charming hotel, great service! Great great rooms! Le comfort parfait !
Thank you for the warm welcome and the attention to details , we will definitely come back and recommend your establishment to all my friends traveling to the region ...great little cozy bar as well
Merci to all!
Claude C... From Las Vegas USA

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed 3 nights in Nov and couldn't have had a better hotel. This was 5 star luxury at 4 star prices. Upon arrival, I was upgraded and the room was huge by French standards. The view of the cathedral just outside the hotel was charming. I parked my rental car in the free secured on-site parking. Jessica is an American and works the front desk- she is delightful and extremely helpful. I traveled to the Normandy Beaches each day, and found the hotel location perfectly situated. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed: November 2013