“Excellent”
Review of Villa Lara Hotel

Villa Lara Hotel
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Bayeux
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The rooms, the food, the staff, the bar, the view- everything was truly first rate. Bayeux is centrally located for touring all the Normandy beaches and WW II historical sites. The room we had was a junior suite and was large even by Americans standards. Owner is lovely and quite helpful in securing reservations for dinner and making recommendations.
A wonderful experience. Can't wait to go back.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank swissmiss

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We recently stayed at Villa Lara Hotel and enjoyed it very much. We originally had a reservation at Hotel Churchill, but they closed for renovations and moved us next door to the Villa Lara. Luckily for us, both hotels have the same owner. Villa Lara is new and luxurious with a most comfy bed. But it is the view out of the huge picture window in our bedroom that is the reason to love this hotel so much. One has a perfect view of the magnificent Bayeux Cathedral. Also, the staff is very responsive and hospitable.

1  Thank dnevill
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I can highly recommend this small hotel. It is located in the center of Bayeux, France and is it so convenient to walk to everything from the hotel. It is situated in a lovely street along the River Aure. This is truly a remarkable hotel within this historic city of Bayeux. Villa Lara is close to wonderful restaurants all over the historic center and the hotel staff is quick to stir one in the right direction and reservations if needed.

The owner and her staff have understood that they have a unique opportunity to greet and care for those who come to Normandy to visit the historic sights of D-Day and World War Two. We traveled from Indiana with a WWII D-day veteran and his wife who led us on a pilgrimage of his tour of duty, the place he was wounded and captured by the Nazis and more. Coming “home” each evening to the Hotel Villa Lara made the mind-boggling tour a healing balm for resting hurting hearts and weary feet. The comfort of the rooms created a restful solace before gathering with companions in the hotel bar for an evening cocktail and then a walk to dinner.

This medieval city is the home of William the Conquer. The magnificent Cathedral’s towers are a joy to see from our room especially at night. We were there in August and the Cathedral was aglow with wonderful colors from a light show. This is truly an ancient settlement. The Cathedral has recorded its first pastor was established in the year 440. The city of Bayeux boasts an ancient artifact from William’s time. It is a 230 foot tapestry is thought to be made in England in the year 1070. One can see a tapestry from commemorating events leading to the Norman conquest of England which is housed within walking distance from The Villa Lara.

If you are lucky enough to be in Normandy and need a lovely place to call home, I hope you are fortunate enough to find a room in the Hotel Villa Lara.

Room Tip: Don't miss breakfast before you leave for the day! Also our room had all the things one might ne...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We recently stayed at the Villa Lara and it was lovely! The hotel staff was warm, professional and polite and the room we had was beautiful with a view of the cathedral. Our room was also large with every modern feature of a 5 star hotel anywhere in the world. There was complementary parking in the back of the hotel too. A full breakfast was served in the morning and it was everything you would want to load up on a cold November day for visiting the sites of Normandy. Though we only stayed one night, we wish we could have stayed more. We'll be back as soon as we can!

Room Tip: Be sure and request a room with a view of the famous Bayeux cathedral. At night, it's better th...
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I turned up at this Hotel in the middle of the night (about 12pm) having taken the last train from Paris to Bayeux. I was there to do a D-Day tour with Normandie D-Day Tours (see separate review) and Guillaume of that company recommended that I stay there.

I was exhausted when I finally got into my room and I was in for a magnificent surprise. The room kept going and going. There was a big bedroom and a big lounge/TV room and a massive bathroom - featuring a shower that is big enough for two, three or ten (if that is your thing). I found out on check out when I asked whether all the rooms were the same that I had booked the Junior Suite - and I recommend fellow travellers do the same.

The bed was very soft and the pillows were so good that I didn't even take the pillow I had brought from home out of my bag.

My tour was due to start with a 9am pickup the next day and I slept so well I only woke up at 845am. Cutting it close but I was sure it would be ok the following day. It wasn't and I did it again!

I didn't try the restaurant - sadly going to the dodgy pizza place nearby instead - but I am sure it is in keeping with the rest of the Hotel and is a beauty.

The staff were extremely courteous and helpful and I can't wait to go back there again.

It is without doubt the best regional hotel I have ever stayed at (anywhere) and it also puts some of the big city "luxury" hotels to shame.

PS. When I booked in the staff member showing me to my room said that the minibar was free. I was sure that he was making a mistake because of language differences but when I checked out I said that I had a bottle of water and, indeed, they said it was part of the room price. I have never seen that at any hotel before as they usually gouge you massively when you have had the courage to take a chocolate or drink from the area of temptation they put in your room. If you go there you had better check because I am not sure if it applies to all rooms but it was a very welcome surprise.

Room Tip: Go for the Junior Suite.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The Villa Lara is an outstanding hotel, well located in a pretty little town. The rooms and the overall hotel are of the very highest standard. The staff are excellent and have a very good command of English (one at least is American by birth). The hotel is located about 200 yards from the building holding the tapestry, and about a kilometre from the Cathedral. There are a number of eating locations (of all sorts) within 2 or 3 minutes walk, and there is secure parking. It's not particularly cheap but is certainly worth the money. We only stayed one night, but if I was spending some time in Basse Normandie there is where I would base myself.

Room Tip: Try for a room with a view of the Cathedral.
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night while visiting the areas and the D-Day sights. Hotel Villa Lara is fantastic. It's a small hotel with big style and fabulous service and very reasonable prices.

We stayed in a Deluxe room with shower and King Bed. Finding hotels in Europe with a King Bed is a feat in itself, but Villa Lara had true King beds, not just two small beds pushed together like some hotels. Our room was huge, very pretty and comfortable, with a seating area in addition to the bed. The bathroom was also large, but only had a shower, no tub. Everything in the bathroom and bedroom was very new, felt recently updated and modern. The shower was large enough for two.

There were lots of closets at the entry, a mini bar, safe and tv with movie channels etc. The bed was great, very comfy, the sheets were quite nice, soft pillows and warm. The room was very light and bright with lots of windows that opened to a courtyard.

Our room was a bit warm, even though it was quite cold outside we could not seem to turn down the heat so we left the windows open at night. Other than that, everything was perfect.

The lobby is quite charming and feels life a private home. There is a bar and lounge area as well. The breakfast room is fantastic and the breakfast is wonderful. In the morning they had a full spread of fresh baked goods, fruit, cereal, tea, coffee, yogurts and they made eggs to order. We had some of the best eggs we have ever had, the coffee was also excellent, it was like getting a freshly prepared breakfast at a home.

The staff of fabulous, friendly and helpful. They helped us confirm our tour pickup and gave great recommendations for local dining.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to this area.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple