“Worth a visit”

Private Tour Rouen Bayeux and Falaise Day Trip from Rouen
Ranked #1 of 35 things to do in Bayeux
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: This museum houses the famous Bayeux Tapestry, a 70-m long piece of embroidery that graphically tells the story of the 1066 Battle of Hastings.Listed UNESCO Memory of the World. Duration of visit about 1h30.
Wilmington, Delaware
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I had read about the tapestry in history and in French class. I was impressed by the detail on the tapestry. The audio guide added to the experience of understanding the different panels on the tapestry.

1 Thank jandc8491

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This was a pleasant surprise. We went because the weather wasn't great, and it's inside, and I'm so glad we did. On arrival you got a handset in a choice of languages which talked you through the story of the battle of hastings scene by scene as depicted by the tapestry. It was very clear and interesting. There was a really informative museum and a short video presentation.
The town of Bayeux and its lovely Cathedral were also worth a visit. Very pretty with a large variety of shops, cafes and restaurants.
I would definitely recommend a visit.

1 Thank Ljgreenfield
den Haag
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Embroidery with a difference”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I dragged four boys to this world famous monument to recording history. They skipped out of there happy..and interested, thanks to the great kids audio. My seven year old said "that was great mummy and I whined that it 'd be really boring!" MY ten year old and his friend also loved it thanks to Horrible Histories. My husband commented .."So, the English WERE conquered"...my nine year old loved the heads being chopped off . So History and embroideries CAN be interesting!

1 Thank Joy J
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tapestry Visit”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have wanted to visit the Bayeux Tapestry for a number of years. I was surprised at the high quality of the exhibition and museum. Well worth the trip from Australia.
Kerry Fisher

1 Thank Kerry F
Cheshire, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Better than Expected”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was not initially interested at looking at some old sewing. but as the weather was not great, and this was indoors we gave it a go.. For your entry fee you get a audio guide that will take you along the tapestry step by step explaining hat was going on. I didn't expect this and was impressed. It is also good that you can get within 1 foot of the tapestry so can really inspect the handiwork.

The down side was that the audio guide cannot be paused or stopped. We have a young child who required our attention at times and the audio guide would just carry on and we missed sections.

Worth a look on a rainy day, but that's an opinion of someone who had no initial interest in tapestry, we were in the area for D day stuff. I am sure some people would really love this.

1 Thank Simonb30